2013 NHL Draft Grade

Swedesessed

Draft Day Grade  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What grade do you give the Buffalo Sabres for the 2013 NHL Draft?

• A+
    • A
    • A-
    • B+
    • B
    • B-
    • C+
    • C
    • C-
    • D
    • F

Isn't Burmistrov still tied to Winnipeg at least as an RFA?

He's an NHL RFA, but he was not under contract and free to go to the KHL. The Jets maintain his NHL rights and he may very well return in two years when his contract expires. The Blue Jackets also faced this scenario with Bobrovsky, but he chose to stay with the Jackets for the next two years instead of taking big money from the KHL.

For those GM's running scared, they are trying to keep their jobs. Drafting players who, for whatever reason, are viewed as flight risks seriously jeopardizes their job. If I'm a GM, I'll draft a North American player that's 75% as good as a Russian, if its known that this player has no qualms about leaving for the KHL. I think the problem arises when teams jnvest time, money and assets into a player only to have that player bolt for the KHL because he feels wronged. Set up an equity system (finances?) with the KHL teams so they can't cherry pick the best players without compensation.

That's all good, but what happens when your North American players bolt to the KHL because they get a better deal there and get to play in Germany or France in a league that is considered better than the NHL?

There is no guarantee that the KHL will ever rival the NHL, but in a matter of just a few years it's grown from an afterthought, to a very viable league for European talent. If the growth continues, and with the expansion plans of the KHL into more western markets in Europe it could become a viable option for even more players.

The league itself, and the individual GM can choose to ignore this and say "we are going to focus on people who want to be here" or they can choose to face this competition and say " we will make this league and this team a destination any player would want to play for. That is the position the NHL has today, and it's deeply rooted in the Canadian (and probably American) psyche that that is the status the NHL will have forever. That Canada is the hockey capital of the world, and will be forever. They might be right, but hockey is growing fast in non traditional and very financially powerful European markets. If the KHL is allowed to grow into a true pan European league it is not unthinkable that the power center of hockey could shift out of North America. Right now, this threat is not being taken seriously by the league or most observers it seems. And in the short term, it's not likely to happen, but who knows what the KHL will be in 10, 20 or 30 years?

For those GM's running scared, they are trying to keep their jobs. Drafting players who, for whatever reason, are viewed as flight risks seriously jeopardizes their job. If I'm a GM, I'll draft a North American player that's 75% as good as a Russian, if its known that this player has no qualms about leaving for the KHL. I think the problem arises when teams jnvest time, money and assets into a player only to have that player bolt for the KHL because he feels wronged. Set up an equity system (finances?) with the KHL teams so they can't cherry pick the best players without compensation.

What "best players" have been cherry picked without compensation? Seems to me players who leave the NHL for the KHL are those who couldn't hack it in the NHL.

The more I read about Nichushkin, the more I didn't like. He does not seem to make his teammates around him better and I can see him being somewhat of an enigma. The Sabres don't need headaches like that at this time. But I do wish we drafted Max Domi.

I guess I was posing a what if scenario.

Well Malkin hasn't bolted for the KHL and he is probably the best Russian player in the world. Also I can't imagine any NA player worth a damn walking away from a stanley cup. To much history and great players etched on there for posterity not to want to add your name.

That's all good, but what happens when your North American players bolt to the KHL because they get a better deal there and get to play in Germany or France in a league that is considered better than the NHL?

If the players aren't under contract, I won't care.

Who did Nashville lose to the KHL a couple years ago? If I recall correctly he was a top notch prospect, no? Not Malkin level but certainly expected to be a 1st line player if I remember correctly. I would imagine Nashville's recent experience is in the minds of NHL GM's.

Who did Nashville lose to the KHL a couple years ago? If I recall correctly he was a top notch prospect, no? Not Malkin level but certainly expected to be a 1st line player if I remember correctly. I would imagine Nashville's recent experience is in the minds of NHL GM's.

Radulov

What "best players" have been cherry picked without compensation? Seems to me players who leave the NHL for the KHL are those who couldn't hack it in the NHL.

Exactly! The GMs aren't afraid top talent russians will leave. There simply are fewer top talent russians.

Regarding Radulov, is anyone familiar with the exact circumstances surrounding his departure? From a pure points perspective he had a couple of good NHL seasons, so wondering if there was some organizational friction a la Burmistrov or he simply chased the money.

Regarding Radulov, is anyone familiar with the exact circumstances surrounding his departure? From a pure points perspective he had a couple of good NHL seasons, so wondering if there was some organizational friction a la Burmistrov or he simply chased the money.

IIRC it was strictly a money based jump. He violated his ELC with the Preds to do it and got away with it.

Radulov got caught going out with Kostitsyn during the playoffs. He got sat for two playoff games and the Preds lost the series. Then he bolted back to Russia.

Preds didn't want either of them back after their bad act during the playoffs. They just did a buyout on the other Kostitsyn brother (Sergei).

Radulov got caught going out with Kostitsyn during the playoffs. He got sat for two playoff games and the Preds lost the series. Then he bolted back to Russia.

That was the second time he went KHL. I think people are focused on the first time--which was a combination of wanting to be home and "better conditions," whatever that means.

That was the second time he went KHL. I think people are focused on the first time--which was a combination of wanting to be home and "better conditions," whatever that means.

Wasn't it Josey Guevromont that asked the Rangers to send him to the minors so he could play?

(I still think Guevromont belongs in the Sabres Hall of Fame BTW)

Wasn't it Josey Guevromont that asked the Rangers to send him to the minors so he could play?

(I still think Guevromont belongs in the Sabres Hall of Fame BTW)

One of the best hockey names EVER. (Right up there w/ Zhitnik, Oduya, and Clutterbuck.)

Pretty solid D-man as well.

The more I read about Nichushkin, the more I didn't like. He does not seem to make his teammates around him better and I can see him being somewhat of an enigma. The Sabres don't need headaches like that at this time. But I do wish we drafted Max Domi.

Then Darcy would have been criticized for picking up more undersized forwards.

Maybe and I am just speculating but maybe Burmistov simply wanted to go home and play at home. I bet a lot of reasons played into that but thats the way the cookie crumbles so to speak.

@EyeOnHockey

Friction with coach Claude Noel was at least part of the reason Alex Burmistrov decided to join the KHL: http://cbsprt.co/1aZzhus

Archived