2013 NHL Draft Grade

Swedesessed

Draft Day Grade  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What grade do you give the Buffalo Sabres for the 2013 NHL Draft?

• A+
    • A
    • A-
    • B+
    • B
    • B-
    • C+
    • C
    • C-
    • D
    • F

Now NHL Drafts do take time to show the results (usually around 4 years or so) but I provide a grade based on positional needs in the system and with the big club, and who was available to pick at the time of the draft.

I give Buffalo a B+ personally. Really hard to criticize the overall strategy: Upgrade the D which sorely needed it and get nastier, so very good job by Darcy and Co on that front.

Nice job with Zadorov and Ristolainen no question, but my only pet peeve would be drafting a skilled goal scoring forward at 8 or 16, or trading up to 5 to get Monahan or Lindholm, which would have given the Sabres an A in my book. the 2nd round has a chance to be superb, but as we know even 2nd round picks can be crap-shoots overall.

Guest Sloth

buf.gif

Buffalo Sabres: A+

Rasmus Ristolainen and Nikita Zadorov gives Buffalo two elite-sized, gritty D-men with picks No. 8 and No. 16 and, over time, will have a major impact on the back end. The blue line was a big need for the Buffalo system, and they addressed it as well as they could with their first two selections. In the second round, the Sabres add skilled, blue-collar forward J.T. Compher, and two big hard working forwards in Connor Hurley from Edina High School and Justin Bailey from Kitchener of the OHL -- both give added size. This was a really strong draft for the Sabres.

Not that it means that much, because we'll see the true grade of this draft a couple of years from now, but the Sabres got the best grade from Grant Sonier, an NHL analyst for ESPN. Of course ESPN doesn't focus on hockey, but you gotta be a little impressed a guy from Quebec gave the Sabres the best draft grade. In my opinion, the Sabres deserve a B.

Usually if you get 2 picks that make it all the way to being on the full time roster thats the usual. Maybe with so many upper picks this year we could hope for 3 or 4. But the draft isa crap shoot pretty much no matter what round you draft a guy.

buf.gif

Buffalo Sabres: A+

Rasmus Ristolainen and Nikita Zadorov gives Buffalo two elite-sized, gritty D-men with picks No. 8 and No. 16 and, over time, will have a major impact on the back end. The blue line was a big need for the Buffalo system, and they addressed it as well as they could with their first two selections. In the second round, the Sabres add skilled, blue-collar forward J.T. Compher, and two big hard working forwards in Connor Hurley from Edina High School and Justin Bailey from Kitchener of the OHL -- both give added size. This was a really strong draft for the Sabres.

Not that it means that much, because we'll see the true grade of this draft a couple of years from now, but the Sabres got the best grade from Grant Sonier, an NHL analyst for ESPN. Of course ESPN doesn't focus on hockey, but you gotta be a little impressed a guy from Quebec gave the Sabres the best draft grade. In my opinion, the Sabres deserve a B.

Soon to be a former ESPN analyst. He's leaving to head up a QMJHL franchise IIRC. But good to see the Sabres draft class lauded by him and others considered to be "in the know".

Horvat, Lazar, Fucale, Dauphin, Bowey........ The players chosen directly after each of the Sabres picks in the first 2 rounds. I give that an A+ and will be interested to see how soon this is mentioned in the media. My guess is somewhere around May/June 2014.......I say B for guys chosen. I was in panic mode until they went forward bang/bang/bang in the 2nd.

Buffalo was given credit as one of the draft winners:

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/7/1/4482684/nhl-draft-grades-2013-winners-losers

Horvat, Lazar, Fucale, Dauphin, Bowey........ The players chosen directly after each of the Sabres picks in the first 2 rounds. I give that an A+ and will be interested to see how soon this is mentioned in the media. My guess is somewhere around May/June 2014.......I say B for guys chosen. I was in panic mode until they went forward bang/bang/bang in the 2nd.

Ristolainen - Horvat

Zadorov - Lazar

Compher - Fucale

Hurley - Dauphin

Bailey - Bowey

Horvat I liked but he's not a first line guy.......Lazar I'm not sure. I think he is more of a Dan Paille. 3rd line guy that can give solid minutes at the NHL level.

I thought each went too high. But I wouldn't have been disappointed with either, i just thought there was more value.

Previously posted in the draft day thread:

The Hockey News, NHL Draft winners and losers: http://www.thehockey...and-losers.html

Buffalo

The Sabres used two picks in 2012 to shore up the middle of the franchise, taking Mikhail Grigorenko and Zemgus Girgensons in the first round. This time, they went with a pair of big defenders in Rasmus Ristolainen and Nikita Zadorov. Ristolainen is closer to the NHL and has played against men back home in Finland for the past couple years, while Zadorov is a mammoth with a mean streak. The Sabres are becoming quite adept at filling their needs lately.

I say B+. The two D are undeniably talented. But not trading up and not getting a A1 Center or possibly an almost NHL ready A1 with a guy like Dauphin's mad skills in the 2nd was a mistake IMO.

Teams are built down the middle and the Sabres are missing the front end of the middle despite all the Grigerenko puck lickers.

Guess I will be waiting more than one more year because even a rookie needs time to develop, even an A1 kind of guy. The guy up in Montreal Galynchuk (sp?) showed us a lot last year and will be better next year. Sabres will have to wait at least 2 more years till a guy, they draft next year if they are really bad, is up to speed.

Drafted a Notre Dame Commit = A+ from Glass.

Two.

That's cool, but does ND have a decent hockey program?

Really. I'm not sure.

Yes. That and they have an incredible coach. If we had a prospect going the DI route, there's only one other coach I'd rather have them playing for.

I'd say somewhere between B and B+ would be my grade.

I wanted Lindholm or Monahan with the 8 but Risto was my 3rd pick due to his Finnish connection to Armia.

While we should of probably took a forward with the 16, the D-Man we took looks like he's going to be one hell of a bruiser. If either can become a Chris Pronger like D-Man, we'll be in good shape.

The 2nd round wasn't terrible either but left me feeling impatient about the Sabres plan of a rebuild.

Really. I'm not sure.

Yes.

Frozen Four in 08 and 11

CCHA Champions in 07, 09, 13

NCAA Tournament in 4,7,8,9,11,13

Brand new $50M arena

Most importantly, Future Hockey Hall of Fame Coach Jeff Jackson

Really. I'm not sure.

They do, actually a very good one, been in the frozen 4 recently 2008 finishing 2nd to BC and were ranked 4th overall last year but lost early on in the championship to a talented St. Cloud State.

Horvat I liked but he's not a first line guy.......Lazar I'm not sure. I think he is more of a Dan Paille. 3rd line guy that can give solid minutes at the NHL level.

I thought each went too high. But I wouldn't have been disappointed with either, i just thought there was more value.

I can't wait to see how Lazar ends up. I really feel he is Gare/Pominville put in a blender. I also love how he lit things up, but sort of regressed on the offense for a bit, but started to put it together again. To me, that got you value with him where he went. I love things with little downside but lots of upside and a "gut feeling" the guy has the goods between the ears. He's the only guy I "had to have" out of the whole group.

I liked Horvat, but in all honesty, at 8 I would have probably taken a flyer on the Russian.

I don't hate the draft...but it really doesn't seem like we made too much progress with trading away pieces. We are still in Limbo.

Solid A.

This was an excellent draft. Regier/Devine have done very well during the Pegula era.

All the negativity I hear about the team (on WGR in particular - what's wrong with those guys?) is based on emotion and frustration, but not on clear headed logic.

I like the direction the team is headed and I haven't been able to say that for many years. They aren't contenders yet, but they are on the rise with a draft based philosophy.

I'm optimistic that the team is headed in the right direction.

Archived