Draft Day 2013

spndnchz

I had a question about Eric Locke. I fell asleep during the 6th & 7th rounds (woke up just in time to see Brodeur draft Brodeur) and missed this selection, I didn't realize until reading the recap e-mail from Sabres.com that he scored 44 goals and and 97 points in the OHL. How does a guy like that go in the 7th round -- it has to be his size, right? He's listed at 5'10", 184 lbs. But still, you'd think the third leading point scorer in the OHL would go earlier.

I'm really excited to see what he can do. Now iv read he is more of a small framed 5-9 179 type of build. Seems to have a great attitude and work ethic though.

I think this is a case of all the scouts (including the sabres) thinking his game doesn't translate to the professional leagues.

From June 22nd of last year:

http://blogs.thescor...ail-grigorenko/

[/size][/font][/color]

From June 11th, 2012

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1333

Just in case anyone thought I was conjuring this stuff out of thin air.

I still believe much of that was the mono. I remember an ankle issue too.

I still believe much of that was the mono. I remember an ankle issue too.

I still hope it was the mono.

Wait so the complaint about Grigo is that he reminds someone of Jason Spezza? :huh:

"All of Jason Spezza's bad qualities" is not a compliment.

Spezza scores goals right?

Really, that is your defense of Grigs... Grigs hasn't and Spezza did right away from what I remember... So that is even more damning of Grigs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Spezza

21 points in his first NHL season playing 33 games.

Edited by North Buffalo

Unless I'm mistaken, Spezza didn't play in the NHL as an 18 year, let alone an 18 year old without a training camp or preseason.

Valid points, he played OHL for 4 years, then part of a season in AHL before being called up.

Still concerned about Grigs because he basically is the only close to top flight guy in the center position the Sabres have and he appears to have issues. Would feel a lot better if the Sabres had additional options. Problem is they don't and Darcy hasn't gone to get one via trade or draft for quite a while now.

Edited by North Buffalo

I think there are quite a few things to look forward to. I'm looking forward to the season starting. It can only be better than last year.

Some people will just never be happy no matter who Darcy drafts.

What are you looking forward to? I'm just curious. Seeing what Armia can do? Enroth playing more? After that, I can't think of anything to look forward to. And I expect our team to perform worse than this past season, especially if we trade Vanek & Miller (which I think we should do). The additions of McBain and Ristolainen won't change anything IMO.

Regarding Darcy, I thought his performance in last year's draft was excellent! Grigs & Girgs - I couldn't be happier! The year before I thought his choice of Kassian was awful, which is what I think of his choices this year when considering who he could have had. So when he does well IMO, I'm singing his praises. If not, I'll call it the way I see it.

What are you looking forward to? I'm just curious. Seeing what Armia can do? Enroth playing more? After that, I can't think of anything to look forward to. And I expect our team to perform worse than this past season, especially if we trade Vanek & Miller (which I think we should do). The additions of McBain and Ristolainen won't change anything IMO.

Regarding Darcy, I thought his performance in last year's draft was excellent! Grigs & Girgs - I couldn't be happier! The year before I thought his choice of Kassian was awful, which is what I think of his choices this year when considering who he could have had. So when he does well IMO, I'm singing his praises. If not, I'll call it the way I see it.

I'm looking forward to what he's going to do this week. I think Darcy will make some moves and/or pick up a couple of free agents. Between Armia, McNabb, Grig, Girgensons, maybe a couple of yesterdays picks and any new transactions............... the possibility of seeing Enroth be a full time starter. Last year was an absolute train wreck, I'm looking forward to the fact that I think it will only be better.

I get upset when they lose, I get upset when players don't play up to their potential, I get upset if I think Darcy makes a bad move......... but I'm not going to go out of my way to be as negative and relentelss as some of the people on here. I've got better things to worry about. It's a game, it's entertaimment. I enjoy contrasting the Sabres and the Panthers. It seems as though some on here really enjoy trashing anybody and anything related to the Sabres organization. If I got to that point I might as well just stop watching because it defeats the purpose of being a fan of the sport.

I think Darcy did fine, and I am so sick of reading this. I must've read it like 18 times in the past two days. There are legitimate gripes against Darcy and people are voicing them.

I've got no problem with people voicing their gripes and their opinion. I have a problem with it happening in every single thread. I'm sorry you value the rights of others to voice their opinion, and not mine.

I've got no problem with people voicing their gripes and their opinion. I have a problem with it happening in every single thread. I'm sorry you value the rights of others to voice their opinion, and not mine.

This has happened before. There's a difference between stating your opinion and beating horse skeletons into dust.

There are many things to look forward to, there always is. Last year felt like a punch in the gut, and I am weary of another full season of the same. Come October I'll be there all ready to get all pissed off if they lose, and dance like a fool in my living room when (if?) they win. I am worried though that it will be a rough ride next season.

Still, I'm looking forward to see what Armia has to offer, would love it if Vanek sticks around, curious (not bi-curious) to see how close Ristolainen is, excited to see if Grigorenko can adapt to the speed of NHL hockey, hopeful that Stafford will at least improve somewhat from a statistical nightmare season, hoping for continued growth from Ennis and Hodgson. Have basically given up on Foligno, so hopefully he will prove me wrong as well. I don't think Leino is completely devoid of skill and think he could be a very important part of the Sabres next year etc. etc.

Damn, I've already talked myself into super optimist mode, next year will be the anti-thesis of last year and everything will go right! Sabres finish 4th in the conference and win back to back playoff series! Can't wait!

There are many things to look forward to, there always is. Last year felt like a punch in the gut, and I am weary of another full season of the same. Come October I'll be there all ready to get all pissed off if they lose, and dance like a fool in my living room when (if?) they win. I am worried though that it will be a rough ride next season.

Still, I'm looking forward to see what Armia has to offer, would love it if Vanek sticks around, curious (not bi-curious) to see how close Ristolainen is, excited to see if Grigorenko can adapt to the speed of NHL hockey, hopeful that Stafford will at least improve somewhat from a statistical nightmare season, hoping for continued growth from Ennis and Hodgson. Have basically given up on Foligno, so hopefully he will prove me wrong as well. I don't think Leino is completely devoid of skill and think he could be a very important part of the Sabres next year etc. etc.

Damn, I've already talked myself into super optimist mode, next year will be the anti-thesis of last year and everything will go right! Sabres finish 4th in the conference and win back to back playoff series! Can't wait!

I'm right there with ya! I can't take not having any hockey to watch, thankfully hockey has such a short offseason.

This has happened before. There's a difference between stating your opinion and beating horse skeletons into dust.

I am one of those horse skeleton beaters, mostly because Darcy drafts well for everything but a center. Just can't figure it out and it drives me nuts. He barely can get good one's in free agency and non since Drury and Briere... consider horse skeleton beaten again.

But until I see a number 1 center, I have to consider Darcy's efforts a failure, not so much for this year but for the numbers of years the issue has not been addressed properly. Oooh Oooh, in my best horshak voice: Skeleton beating again...

I'm looking forward to what he's going to do this week. I think Darcy will make some moves and/or pick up a couple of free agents. Between Armia, McNabb, Grig, Girgensons, maybe a couple of yesterdays picks and any new transactions............... the possibility of seeing Enroth be a full time starter. Last year was an absolute train wreck, I'm looking forward to the fact that I think it will only be better.

I get upset when they lose, I get upset when players don't play up to their potential, I get upset if I think Darcy makes a bad move......... but I'm not going to go out of my way to be as negative and relentelss as some of the people on here. I've got better things to worry about. It's a game, it's entertaimment. I enjoy contrasting the Sabres and the Panthers. It seems as though some on here really enjoy trashing anybody and anything related to the Sabres organization. If I got to that point I might as well just stop watching because it defeats the purpose of being a fan of the sport.

Oh, but it can absolutely be worse.

• 2 months later...

I don't know why everyone is down on Rasmus Ristolainen. With Monahan and Lindholm gone it was an almost no brainer. The russian factor is huge on Nichuskin

the gifs below are from CBS's eye on hockey feed (which is excellent, btw). here's hoping Risto is so good that we don't end up regretting that the team passed on the likes of this. (and here's hoping we weren't a year early in taking the Russian who fell in the draft.)

nichushkin.gif

JFbd.gif

Edited by That Aud Smell

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.