Draft Day 2013

spndnchz

Well...perfect draft for me. The team that always plucks failed power forwards from the Sabres, then hires who I feel is the best coach in the league while we get Ron-Rol, goes and trades a goalie to not only stymie the Sabres from trading Miller, but also goes and takes 1 of my 2 can't-miss guys in the draft who is a 2-way power forward, directly after the Sabres pass on him and take the 2nd coming of Henrik Tallinder. Then our division rival who improved leaps and bounds while having their 2 top players injured and we regressed, goes and takes the other can't miss forward who is pretty much Danny Gare with a 145 IQ, right after we took the 2nd coming of Dimitri Kalinin. I'm ok with it. Once again, all is right with the world, and I can take my projected luxury spending on Buffalo Sabres products, and plug it into booze and strippers. In an ironic note, at the arena, Jeff Musial pulled out a monkey out of her cage who proceeded to take a crap in her diaper at the exact moment Darcy was walking on stage.

Ryan Hartman or Justin Bailey at 38 would be great if either lasts that long.

I'd be happy with either there, a little happier if it's Hartman.

Well...perfect draft for me. The team that always plucks failed power forwards from the Sabres, then hires who I feel is the best coach in the league while we get Ron-Rol, goes and trades a goalie to not only stymie the Sabres from trading Miller, but also goes and takes 1 of my 2 can't-miss guys in the draft who is a 2-way power forward, directly after the Sabres pass on him and take the 2nd coming of Henrik Tallinder. Then our division rival who improved leaps and bounds while having their 2 top players injured and we regressed, goes and takes the other can't miss forward who is pretty much Danny Gare with a 145 IQ, right after we took the 2nd coming of Dimitri Kalinin. I'm ok with it. Once again, all is right with the world, and I can take my projected luxury spending on Buffalo Sabres products, and plug it into booze and strippers. In an ironic note, at the arena, Jeff Musial pulled out a monkey out of her cage who proceeded to take a crap in her diaper at the exact moment Darcy was walking on stage.

I'm not exactly thrilled right now....but Tallinder and Kalinin are awful comparables for Ristolainen and Zadorov. Just terrible comparisons.

The last three Sabres first round draft picks have all been described as "tough" and "nasty"

The two before that were the best available scoring forwards.

Isn't this exactly what we wanted?

Not me. I don't think there's nearly enough redundancy in the system at scoring forward right now to account for busts.

Also, Drew Stafford is currently our top RW.

You can't ignore the fact that our entire d-corps in the NHL is still full of players under 24. Myers, Pysyk and Ruhwedel are still under 24. Weber is 25. It's not like we have aged NHL dmen. Darcy ###### up.

Ruhwedel had his cup of coffee in the NHL. He is not going to be up unless there are injury problems. And Myers and Pysyk just became resources that can be converted to forwards. I don't much care for Darcy but he did what he should do when it was time for #8, he selected the best combo of risk and reward. And he did the same at 16.

OK, I laughed.

Ruhwedel had his cup of coffee in the NHL. He is not going to be up unless there are injury problems. And Myers and Pysyk just became resources that can be converted to forwards. I don't much care for Darcy but he did what he should do when it was time for #8, he selected the best combo of risk and reward. And he did the same at 16.

How do you come to that conclusion on Ruhwedel? IMO he was our best defensemen since the day he joined the team. Hard to imagine he doesn't push for a spot in camp, looked much better than Pysyk to me.

How do you come to that conclusion on Ruhwedel? IMO he was our best defensemen since the day he joined the team. Hard to imagine he doesn't push for a spot in camp, looked much better than Pysyk to me.

I thought Ruhwedel looked really good as well. I think he will be better since he was able to get a few games in. I think he will have the whole summer to work on things to help his game out.

See: Gragnani, Marc-Andre. With the amount of games Ruhwedel played, we have absolutely zero clue what kind of NHL player he is. Same with Pysyk.

I've more or less been a "Darcy supporter" as of late -- loved the Hodgson/Kassian swap and I'm not really too concerned with he and Pegula throwing money at Ehrhoff and Leino. Goose for a first was a no brainer. But today was a buzzkill. I'm sure both of the guys we drafted will be good NHL defensemen, but I'm just not sure how it fills our needs-- yeah we added two big strong defensemen, but who's gonna score goals? Behind Armia is there a single "goal scoring forward" prospect in the entire system?

Not sure if they'd do it or not. They definitely like drafting local kids (Kaleta, Foligno, Lepkowski) but he might be a reach that high.

Everything is so jumbled in the second round, is anything really a reach, even if it's 10 spots higher than ranked? Very little separation at this point.

Wasn't Ruhwedel signed with the condition that he stays in the NHL?

I think that only applied to last season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.