2013 - 2014 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

I should probably know this, but I don't, so...has anything been done regarding the NHLe numbers since the emergence of the KHL? It has definitely weakened the European leagues, and while dropping pre-KHL leagues entirely would probably lead to sample issues, I think including them may inflate the NHLe numbers beyond what they should be.

Baptiste would have something like 16G, 16A on 82 games. Possler, because he's playing in the much stronger SEL, would have something like 28G, 17A, but his sample size is way small; I don't trust that at all.

McCabe's equivalency is at about 33 points so far this season.

Armia has taken a step back a little bit adjusting to Rochester in the nine games he has so far, down from 44 NHLe points to 15 NHLe points in this young AHL season. But he's got time to work it out. And I think he's been injured.

JGL slipped from 28 NHLe points in the QMJHL to 5 NHLe points last year in Rochester, but he's improved his way back up to 12 NHLe points so far this season.

Kevin Sundher's slowly improving his offensive game, up to 15 NHLe points from 12 NHLe points last year.

Eric Locke's putting up big number again for Saginaw, looking at 35 NHLe points again.

====

So Baptiste, who has 38 pts in 28 games (1.36 pts a game) in the CHL, is only good for 32 pts over a full 82 game season in the NHL?

Are there any players in the CHL who put up 3.48 pts a game which would equate to a point per game pace in the NHL? i thought baptiste was near the top but that may have been earlier in the year.

So Baptiste, who has 38 pts in 28 games (1.36 pts a game) in the CHL, is only good for 32 pts over a full 82 game season in the NHL?

Are there any players in the CHL who put up 3.48 pts a game which would equate to a point per game pace in the NHL? i thought baptiste was near the top but that may have been earlier in the year.

1) For his rookie season, yes. 32 points isn't a bad rookie campaign at all.

2) Drouin is probably the closest, and he's still only getting 2.42 per game. Baptiste started off absurdly hot, but predictably has fallen back a bit.

So who should we be looking for at the WJC?

From the 2012s, Girgs is out clearly, but maybe Grigs with Russia? I think McCabe is too old.

Zadorov should be there, but it's hard to say if they will make Risto available.

Compher should get the call for the US, but Bailey, Hurley and Peterson are long shots.

Maybe Possler for Sweden? And I'm not sure if Ulmark is eligible.

@kevinoDandC

It's a no-brainer for #Sabres to have Rasmus Ristolainen play in WJC. #Amerks are at Spengler Cup Dec. 26-31. He would miss 2 AHL games.

@kevinoDandC

#Amerks Rasmus Ristolainen said #Sabres have "asked if I would like to" play for Finland in WJC "and I said yes." Hasn't been told decision.

@kevinoDandC

#Amerks D Rasmus Ristolainen said he is hoping to play for Finland in World Junior Championship. Runs Dec. 26-Jan. 5 in Malmo, Sweden.

@kevinoDandC

It's a no-brainer for #Sabres to have Rasmus Ristolainen play in WJC. #Amerks are at Spengler Cup Dec. 26-31. He would miss 2 AHL games.

@kevinoDandC

#Amerks Rasmus Ristolainen said #Sabres have "asked if I would like to" play for Finland in WJC "and I said yes." Hasn't been told decision.

@kevinoDandC

#Amerks D Rasmus Ristolainen said he is hoping to play for Finland in World Junior Championship. Runs Dec. 26-Jan. 5 in Malmo, Sweden.

They should let him play obviously. It makes him happy. Doesn't hurt us and would be good for him. Of course this team and organization have ###### up no brainer decisions many times so who the hell knows.

@SabresProspects

Missed J.T. Compher's two-goal effort in Michigan's Monday win over the Buckeyes? See them both here >

Nice couple of Moulson-type goals. Can't really tell about speed/skill from the clip, but the numbers are good in any case.

BTW, this is the guy they traded Sekera for -- so hopefully he'll develop into a good NHL player.

Nice couple of Moulson-type goals. Can't really tell about speed/skill from the clip, but the numbers are good in any case.

BTW, this is the guy they traded Sekera for -- so hopefully he'll develop into a good NHL player.

Hoping he develops into a Ryan Callahan like player.

Can't argue much with this take on Girgorenko:

http://thehockeywrit...n-nhl-prospect/

Pat LaFontaine/Ted Nolan seem to have more smarts in their first month on the job than Regier gained in 17 years. How Regier could hoodwink a naive Fan/owner into believing he was operating this team the way it was supposed to be run as opposed to the way the vast majority of teams do things is beyond me. Its eyeopening to hear everything Nolan says has been done wrong and it all seems to make perfect sense in relation to working for your icetime, developing with your peers, being put in a position to succeed, etc. The fact that Pat Lala is actually doing his due diligence in his search for a G.M. when Regier seemingly hired the guy in the room rather than put in the work to bring in a coach that gave his players the best chance to succeed speaks volumes about who is more beneficial to the future success and health of this franchise. Despite the mess Regier left this team in I'm very excited about the future with the new guy calling the shots.

Did you see the author's surname? :blink:

Well, we all know you can't argue with Deluca.

And doesn't Drane talk about his Uncle Vito?

Which brings up a very important question: have you ever considered how many Sabrespacers are the fictional creations of the same twisted genius? I mean, have you ever seen Yuri and Chz in the same room?

Which brings up a very important question: have you ever considered how many Sabrespacers are the fictional creations of the same twisted genius? I mean, have you ever seen Yuri and Chz in the same room?

I have, but it's not something I care to remember. :(

Sabres Prospects Stats (through 12/6/13)

SABRES PROSPECTS REPORT (12/9/13)

With December in full gear, the Sabres’ NCAA prospects were hard at work last week producing offense as semester break quickly approaches.

J.T. Compher (2013, second round) pounced on a pair of rebounds Monday for the first two-goal game of his collegiate career as Michigan won an exciting 5-4 decision over Ohio State. The putbacks give the freshman pivot points in five consecutive contests, and multi-point efforts in five of his 13 collegiate games. It’s all added up to a team-leading point total of 14 (5+9) heading into Wednesday’s tilt with Ferris State. Compher will then depart on Sunday for USA’s World Junior selection camp in Minneapolis.

Anthony Florentino (2013, fifth round) buried a slap shot Friday to snap a five-game point slumber as No. 4 Providence clawed back with three third-period goals to earn a 3-3 tie at No. 19 Northeastern. The power play strike gives the freshman defender three goals and eight points to ride along with a sparkling plus-15 rating through 14 games in a Friars uniform.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Buffalo Sabres possess deep and talented group at junior level

Saying the Buffalo Sabres are off to a tumultuous start would be an understatement. With just six wins in 30 games, their point percentage of .233 projects to be the worst in franchise history. The Sabres have recently put together better performances under interim head coach Ted Nolan, but remain dead last in the NHL.

The Sabres had as many as four teenagers in the lineup on some nights earlier in the 2013-14 season, when Darcy Regier and Ron Rolston were with the team. However, new team president Pat LaFontaine decided the team's young players were better off fine-tuning their game at lower levels rather than toughing it out in the big league with limited minutes.

The re-build took a step backwards this year, with the team performing well below expectations. On the bright side, their junior prospects have been playing very, very well.

On the Rush, December 2013

Welcome to the December 2013 edition of On the Rush, a monthly column featuring prospects at various levels of competition who are either exceeding expectations or are falling a little behind.

This month's edition features a pair of pro prospects that have stepped up for their injury-plagued teams as well as high scoring junior players struggling to find the back of the net. We also touch on some defensive players lighting it up and some who are struggling to adjust to their new environments.

Linus Ullmark, G – MODO (SHL)

Drafted by the Buffalo Sabres

6th round, 163rd overall in 2012

Ullmark is rising as one of Sweden's top young goaltenders. In his rookie season as a full-timer in the SHL, he has helped a young MODO squad remain in the hunt against quality opponents. He is 8-10 with a 2.05 goals against average, along with a .933 save percentage, and two shutouts in 19 starts. Splitting starts with Anton Forsberg (CBJ), this goalie battle has brought the best out in both players.

With four goaltenders currently at the pro level, the Buffalo Sabres will keep an eye on Ullmark as he continues his development in Europe. He has the potential to become an NHL-caliber goalie, but management is likely to be patient before they bring him over to North America.