Buffalo Bills 2013

inkman

So 7 games in and our bargain bin coach is 3-4 with a practice squad QB at the helm. My question is, is Marrone a good coach? I honestly can't decide. Admittedly, I'm predisposed against him as is apparent in this thread. I see 'green shoots' which makes me want to believe better days are head. How much do you attribute to Marrone?

So 7 games in and our bargain bin coach is 3-4 with a practice squad QB at the helm. My question is, is Marrone a good coach? I honestly can't decide. Admittedly, I'm predisposed against him as is apparent in this thread. I see 'green shoots' which makes me want to believe better days are head. How much do you attribute to Marrone?

A friend of mine pointed out something about him that I really agree with. When he makes a mistake, he fixes it.

He thought he had a BU QB. He didn't. He went out and got a QB.

His punter killed us in a game. He got rid of him.

He stopped using the hurry-up in a situation where you neede to kill clock.

I'm sure there are more, but that just shows me that he is still learning and that's great.

I also like that the team doesn't stop playing for him in a game. I know they lost to Cincy, but last year that would have been a thirty point loss. Every game has been within one score.

A friend of mine pointed out something about him that I really agree with. When he makes a mistake, he fixes it.

He thought he had a BU QB. He didn't. He went out and got a QB.

His punter killed us in a game. He got rid of him.

He stopped using the hurry-up in a situation where you neede to kill clock.

I'm sure there are more, but that just shows me that he is still learning and that's great.

I also like that the team doesn't stop playing for him in a game. I know they lost to Cincy, but last year that would have been a thirty point loss. Every game has been within one score.

I agree...week to week he is learning.

He used his timeout yesterday to give the booth a chance to review a play even though he couldn't challenge it.

He went for a FG yesterday on the 2, but at the time I said I fully supported his decision either way. What nobody ever mentions when talking about 4th down stats is how much confidence you have in your defense....and the feel of momentum during the game.

I'd give Marrone a solid B/B+, and as far is the future goes...I don't know if he is a top 5 coach, but I think he is a solid 10-20 coach who at least gives you a shot to win. I was very nervous hearing him talk during the offseason, but I like him now and have some level of confidence....which I didn't expect so soon.

another thing i will say about marrone: his pep/rah rah talks are ... i'm not sure how to describe them. they're fairly monotone, spiced with odd inflections and emphases, full of fillers like "hey" and "okay". they sound like they're being delivered by a middle manager of a regional insurance company. see his speech following yesterday's win.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Exclusive-Dolphins-Postgame-Speech/aa033411-310c-49ec-ac82-81d9a1bf4a4b?campaign=tw_buf_video

and, yet - i get the sense that the players respond to him and play for him.

I don't know how anyone could have watched every game and be anything other than enthusiastic about Marrone and the rest of the staff...yes, even Hackett. The learning and changing is by far the most impressive aspect to me. Justin Rogers gets torched out of his skull one week...has it happened again? Nope. Mario is playing great, Dareus finally looks like a #3 overall pick, hell even Aaron Williams suddenly looks like he can play CB without embarrassing himself. The team also even seems to look better in the second half--yesterday the Dolphins offense barely did a damn thing after halftime.

As far as the offense goes, they have a mediocre at best offensive line, injured RBs, a weak WR corps, and they go from a raw rookie QB with accuracy issues to a practice squad QB, and they're still averaging over 20 points each game. I'm not the biggest fan of some of Hackett's calls, but I do think people are putting too much emphasis on individual calls at the expense of the big picture.

What can I say? I'm bullish on the Bills!

I don't know how anyone could have watched every game and be anything other than enthusiastic about Marrone and the rest of the staff...yes, even Hackett. The learning and changing is by far the most impressive aspect to me. Justin Rogers gets torched out of his skull one week...has it happened again? Nope. Mario is playing great, Dareus finally looks like a #3 overall pick, hell even Aaron Williams suddenly looks like he can play CB without embarrassing himself. The team also even seems to look better in the second half--yesterday the Dolphins offense barely did a damn thing after halftime.

As far as the offense goes, they have a mediocre at best offensive line, injured RBs, a weak WR corps, and they go from a raw rookie QB with accuracy issues to a practice squad QB, and they're still averaging over 20 points each game. I'm not the biggest fan of some of Hackett's calls, but I do think people are putting too much emphasis on individual calls at the expense of the big picture.

What can I say? I'm bullish on the Bills!

not to mention they realized right away that once Legursky was healthy, he was an upgrade from Brown, so they dumped Brown the first chance they could. The coaching staff is learning a lot on the fly. They're young, but finding they're way.

I actually expect the Saints game to be competitive, especially since we lead the NFL in INTs and are third or fourth in sacks. I don't expect a win...I just expect a competitive game.

not to mention they realized right away that once Legursky was healthy, he was an upgrade from Brown, so they dumped Brown the first chance they could. The coaching staff is learning a lot on the fly. They're young, but finding they're way.

I actually expect the Saints game to be competitive, especially since we lead the NFL in INTs and are third or fourth in sacks. I don't expect a win...I just expect a competitive game.

This is why every game is in reach.

Since this is sort of the catch-all football topic...Skip Ball-less....errr, I mean Bayless... was just about in tears over the Patriots loss to the Jets on Sunday. Cry us a friggin' river, dude!

What is there about Boston sports that makes the players, coaches and fans such a bunch of cry-babies? Tom Brady seems to always be whining to the officials looking for some kind of flag after a play doesn't go as planned. This guy Bayless must wear Belichick or Brady Underoos to bed at night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJN1JdVwI5g

So who thinks the saints put up a 40 burger on us today in the thunderdome

Nope.

If Graham sits, we have a fighting chance.

Still haven't broken a big ST return. I got a funny feelin today is the day.

In an interesting turn of events, if Gilmore can get that f'n club off, we actually can play matchup with these guys. I think McKelvin on Colston is perfect. Play Williams at CB/S hybrid and cover Watson the TE, or let him release and have Leonhard, Byrd and Alonso use their instincts while he spies Sproles. Gilmore can take the big guy. Just give them different press/zone/blitz looks and trust your DB's.......

I'm more worried about the offense. Stevie looks healthy again so that helps. With Spiller out, this is Woods game to really take charge and we see if he is going to be just a nice player, or a good player going forward. If Freddy has enough gas in him and Woods can get some balls, you get a couple deep shots available. You have to hit one or two.

I think the Bills hold them to under 30. Big special teams play and 1 bomb can get us to 24-28. I say Saints 27-20....but I have hope.

Graham is playing.

There is no-way, no-how the Bills win today.

So I'm picking them in one of those 'on any given Sunday' games.

This is clearly the hopeful fan in me...

Edited by wjag

Graham might be playing, but can he be more than just a decoy? No way he's his all pro self.

NFL Network guys say he'll be an endzone target. He has a partially torn plantar faciistis which according to what they said is worse than a totally torn plantar faciistis.

Nope.

If Graham sits, we have a fighting chance.

Still haven't broken a big ST return. I got a funny feelin today is the day.

In an interesting turn of events, if Gilmore can get that f'n club off, we actually can play matchup with these guys. I think McKelvin on Colston is perfect. Play Williams at CB/S hybrid and cover Watson the TE, or let him release and have Leonhard, Byrd and Alonso use their instincts while he spies Sproles. Gilmore can take the big guy. Just give them different press/zone/blitz looks and trust your DB's.......

I'm more worried about the offense. Stevie looks healthy again so that helps. With Spiller out, this is Woods game to really take charge and we see if he is going to be just a nice player, or a good player going forward. If Freddy has enough gas in him and Woods can get some balls, you get a couple deep shots available. You have to hit one or two.

I think the Bills hold them to under 30. Big special teams play and 1 bomb can get us to 24-28. I say Saints 27-20....but I have hope.

I have hope and I would love a win, but according to WGR Gilmore will have some sort of protection on that wrist and his range of motion and wrist strength are diminished, that's not good against a pass happy team.

The crowd may affect thad in the dome atmosphere as well. No spiller hurts us, but I like that they're resting him instead of making that ankle worse.

I hate the kickoff rule now, that really hurts big plays, but our special teams have not been good, I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about it today Unfortunatley.

A couple of turnovers would be very helpful but we can't settle for field goals today. Get ready for a shootout and GO BILLS

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.