The Buffalo News

JJFIVEOH

Up until this year, I generally didn't pay attention to the Buffalo News writers. I pretty much stuck to WGR. I heard them asking questions in post game interviews, but being that we don't get MSG down here the broadcast is cut off immediately after the game ends so I never really saw who asked the questions. I remember Sullivan from when I lived in BFLO. This year I've been paying more attention to the Buffalo News writers and followed them on Twitter. I have to say, Harrington and Sullivan are absolutely horrendous journalists. The city of BFLO should feel embarrassed to have them represent the city in the media world. Their obsession with sensationalism and melodrama to garner attention is unprofessional. Their reporting is laughable, they publish opinion pieces that gather large amounts of criticism and then turn to Twitter to whine about readers giving them grief. It's like poking the hornets nest and then crying because you got stung. I'm fully aware that credible journalism is becoming rare in today's world, I guess I gave the Buffalo News too much credit in keeping people around that would stoop that low.

Up until this year, I generally didn't pay attention to the Buffalo News writers. I pretty much stuck to WGR. I heard them asking questions in post game interviews, but being that we don't get MSG down here the broadcast is cut off immediately after the game ends so I never really saw who asked the questions. I remember Sullivan from when I lived in BFLO. This year I've been paying more attention to the Buffalo News writers and followed them on Twitter. I have to say, Harrington and Sullivan are absolutely horrendous journalists. The city of BFLO should feel embarrassed to have them represent the city in the media world. Their obsession with sensationalism and melodrama to garner attention is unprofessional. Their reporting is laughable, they publish opinion pieces that gather large amounts of criticism and then turn to Twitter to whine about readers giving them grief. It's like poking the hornets nest and then crying because you got stung. I'm fully aware that credible journalism is becoming rare in today's world, I guess I gave the Buffalo News too much credit in keeping people around that would stoop that low.

First, I don't have a real problem with the Buffalo News or anyone's opinion of them for that matter.

Second, news reporting in general is a far cry from where it was when I was younger. To call most of them "journalist" is laughable. It's just representative of the state of the business in 2013.

There really is one reason for all of this and its this very internet. It changed the game.

What is still amazing to me, however, is how many people really have no idea how business works. They don't understand that if their opinion was the unanimous opinion of the viewers and listeners, none of these guys would have a job. Enough people read Sully, Buck, Esmonde and listen to Schopp, the Bulldog, Jeremy White, et al that their employers have decided that they get enough bang for their buck. Now you don't have to listen or read, and you are definitely entitled to your opinion, just remember that enough people disagree with you to keep them all employed.

I gotta say I can not stand Sullivan... The reason why is, if things are bad he is only commenting on the Sabres if they play bad. It's as if he is waiting for them to be bad to start a rant.

A couple of days ago he send a tweet towards Pegula's daughter, saying that he is wondering if pegula's daughter thinks its ok to boo now.... That was so unnecessary...

First, I don't have a real problem with the Buffalo News or anyone's opinion of them for that matter.

Second, news reporting in general is a far cry from where it was when I was younger. To call most of them "journalist" is laughable. It's just representative of the state of the business in 2013.

There really is one reason for all of this and its this very internet. It changed the game.

What is still amazing to me, however, is how many people really have no idea how business works. They don't understand that if their opinion was the unanimous opinion of the viewers and listeners, none of these guys would have a job. Enough people read Sully, Buck, Esmonde and listen to Schopp, the Bulldog, Jeremy White, et al that their employers have decided that they get enough bang for their buck. Now you don't have to listen or read, and you are definitely entitled to your opinion, just remember that enough people disagree with you to keep them all employed.

Journalism is dead. Pick any issue you want and it's pretty easy to detect what the reporters believe from what they focus on and, just as importantly, what they omit.

As for WGR, everyone should remember that those guys are in the entertainment business. Schoop, Bulldog, White, Simon, etc. are just trying to keep people interested. So they often try to come up with a contrarian view to rile people up. Or sometimes they just vent the same frustrations that we have. Or sometimes they just goof around on the air. Serious, hard-hitting sports talk would get really old really fast -- especially in this town where the Sabres stink and the Bills are an NFL farm team.

I've got no problem with them offering their own opinion. Discussion and debate would barely exist without differences in opinion. I respect anybody's opinion because I know mine isn't any more important in teh grand scheme of things. What I do have a problem with stooping to unprofessional levels to atract readers and bring in ratings. Two recent examples would be the non-stop chastising of Pegula because they didn't like his press conference. It is not the job of an owner to be a spokesman for the state of the team. Pegula was downtown to break ground on the new facility and declined to comment on the Sabres. Sullivan took it upon himself to trash Pegula in the news today because he doesn't speak well. Seriously, the guy is dumping millions into a stagnant local economy and he gets this kind of treatment? Some might say this is also a difference in opinion, that's fine.

Harrington on Twitter last night playing the victim card by whining about how the media gets criticized when it comes to the Sabres, stirring the pot. Then later comments on how fans wouldn't be saying such things to him in person. I'm sorry, that kind of dialogue is unprofessional, I don't care who you are. If you're representing a newspaper and a city, talk about sports and block the people who leave profane remarks. Stop with the drama and stick to the topic. It really isn't that tough. Some people might be stuck with a grade school mentality when sending them Tweets, instead of lowering themselves to that standard act like a professional and ignore them.

I agree, the state of journalism is laughable. It's becoming tougher and tougher to find real news anymore that isn't slanted. The Buffalo News isn't any better. I'm glad I don't have a subscription because at this point I'd probably cancel.

I gotta say I can not stand Sullivan... The reason why is, if things are bad he is only commenting on the Sabres if they play bad. It's as if he is waiting for them to be bad to start a rant.

A couple of days ago he send a tweet towards Pegula's daughter, saying that he is wondering if pegula's daughter thinks its ok to boo now.... That was so unnecessary...

There's more than a handful of backhanded jabs towards TPegs' kids from Sully. It's very unprofessional.

FWIW you don't need to pay to see their site, just use the right add-ons. If you don't know then just click print to pdf in your browser as soon as the page comes up.

There's more than a handful of backhanded jabs towards TPegs' kids from Sully. It's very unprofessional.

FWIW you don't need to pay to see their site, just use the right add-ons. If you don't know then just click print to pdf in your browser as soon as the page comes up.

Hope no one from the News website reads this site - now they might realize they have to tighten their site.

Yeah exactly... Nothing is wrong with critism but that has nothing to do with how the Sabres. Sully just comes off as an "negativ first" person.

Yeah exactly... Nothing is wrong with critism but that has nothing to do with how the Sabres. Sully just comes off as an "negative first" person.

He cover's the Bills and Sabres, it not like these franchises give him, or any other sports media personality, much to work with.

Can we all agree that there is no such thing as "sports journalism?" When it comes to sports you have three aspects, stats, opinions or rumors. It's all about entertainment.

As far as Pegula and his family, Terry Pegula was fine with putting himself and his family out there when he came in as the white hat on the white horse. When this team has needed him most he disappears. You here the talk of fair weather fans, is Pegula a fair weather owner. If this team has a quick turnaround and is suddenly in the playoffs next season while he then again put himself front and center?

He cover's the Bills and Sabres, it not like these franchises give him, or any other sports media personality, much to work with.

Can we all agree that there is no such thing as "sports journalism?" When it comes to sports you have three aspects, stats, opinions or rumors. It's all about entertainment.

As far as Pegula and his family, Terry Pegula was fine with putting himself and his family out there when he came in as the white hat on the white horse. When the media has needed him most he disappears. You here the talk of fair weather fans, is Pegula a fair weather owner. If this team has a quick turnaround and is suddenly in the playoffs next season while he then again put himself front and center?

Fixed.

Browsers have incognito view as well. Use it all the time with chrome. Will have to use your method for the NYT. Thanks for that tip.

We get the coverage we want. Buffalo fans are generally negative so it follows that the News amplifies the "voice of the fan."

PTR

Or, conversely, you could just as easily say We get the coverage we deserve. Buffalo sports teams are generally inferior so it follows that the News amplifies the "product sold to the area."

Or, conversely, you could just as easily say We get the coverage we deserve. Buffalo sports teams are generally inferior so it follows that the News amplifies the "product sold to the area."

No, Buffalo fans are just miserable, insufferable pricks. That's why people like Jerry Sullivan and Mike Schopp have jobs. Look at how we are turning on our "dream" owner after only two full seasons. Wahhhhhh! Where's our Stanley Cup?? You promised! WAHHHHHHHH!!

PTR

We get the coverage we want. Buffalo fans are generally negative so it follows that the News amplifies the "voice of the fan."

PTR

No, Buffalo fans are just miserable, insufferable pricks. That's why people like Jerry Sullivan and Mike Schopp have jobs. Look how we are turning on our "dream" owner after only two full seasons.

PTR

This just is not true and you try to make this point all the time. Look at where most of us on this board put the Sabres at the end of the season. There were very few that did not see us in the playoffs. Look at the Ralph on opening day. It's packed with fans hoping for the playoffs this year. It is the teams that let us down, not the other way around.

I personally feel that both of these teams don't deserve the fans that they get year after year.

No, Buffalo fans are just miserable, insufferable pricks. That's why people like Jerry Sullivan and Mike Schopp have jobs. Look at how we are turning on our "dream" owner after only two full seasons. Wahhhhhh! Where's our Stanley Cup?? You promised! WAHHHHHHHH!!

PTR

Spin anyway you wish, my statement is no more or less a truth to those that wish to believe it than yours is.

PTR

Why are you here again?

I have to say, Harrington and Sullivan are absolutely horrendous journalists. The city of BFLO should feel embarrassed to have them represent the city in the media world. Their obsession with sensationalism and melodrama to garner attention is unprofessional. Their reporting is laughable, they publish opinion pieces that gather large amounts of criticism and then turn to Twitter to whine about readers giving them grief. It's like poking the hornets nest and then crying because you got stung.

They tell the truth, and some fans can't accept that. Our teams consistently underperform, and somehow that's OK and deserving of praise?!? No, I'd say they get it right.

Why are you here again?

Maybe because I like the Sabres? I get a huge laugh reading comments about new players and prospects. Do you think these payers are just wandering in the door themselves? Do the Sabres have talent in the system or not? People get so bent over Darcy but like most of the moves he makes.

PTR

PTR

Sorry, but i cant buy into this.

I think Buffalo fans are very knowledgeable people. They know their football and their hockey very well. Just look at Stanley Cup playoff ratings (when Sabres are not even in it) per cities across the nation. Buffalo is usually among the top. But, i do think people here are realists and say it how it is. They are not shy to voice their opinion. People are very frustrated. But, the Sabres did set the fanbase up with very high expectations. Truthfully speaking, going into THIS season, i didn't have much hope. Maybe 7th or 8th at best finish, but reading this forum and listening to WGR early in the season, it seemed like many expected the Sabres to show signs of contention this season. The Sabres set up the hype, spend big the off-season prior and were the talk of the league until they failed. This year it was supposed to be different.

They set the bar high, and fell flat on their face. How can the fanbase NOT be disappointed and demand answers? What went wrong and how do we know they will start making things right?

Sorry, but i cant buy into this.

I think Buffalo fans are very knowledgeable people. They know their football and their hockey very well. Just look at Stanley Cup playoff ratings (when Sabres are not even in it) per cities across the nation. Buffalo is usually among the top. But, i do think people here are realists and say it how it is. They are not shy to voice their opinion. People are very frustrated. But, the Sabres did set the fanbase up with very high expectations. Truthfully speaking, going into THIS season, i didn't have much hope. Maybe 7th or 8th at best finish, but reading this forum and listening to WGR early in the season, it seemed like many expected the Sabres to show signs of contention this season. The Sabres set up the hype, spend big the off-season prior and were the talk of the league until they failed. This year it was supposed to be different.

They set the bar high, and fell flat on their face. How can the fanbase NOT be disappointed and demand answers? What went wrong and how do we know they will start making things right?

This is what we tell ourselves.

So their crime is setting the bar too high and not achieving their goal? The horror. No wonder such knowledgeable fans are demanding heads roll.

PTR

I really have no problem with the actual work they do. As many have noted, the internet changed everything, and I completely understand when one of their writers has an opinion wildly different than mine. But I do get pretty annoyed at the way they act on twitter. I don't get involved but it seems like every day they are arguing with fans of the team or writers from other media outlets, usually about stuff stupider than what we argue about on here -- I mean, we can sit here and post back and forth arguing for days on end and we're not going to change each others opinion... you're certainly not going to be able to do that in 250 characters or less. But the worst part is how they'll block someone, then tweet about it like they "won" the argument by blocking people.

In this day and age, if you're going to publish anything on the internet or have any kind of following, you better learn to deal with criticism. Especially when it comes to subjects like politics or sports.

Archived