The Buffalo News

JJFIVEOH

People just want Darcy gone. That will fix a lot of this.

The team fired Lindy (who was loved) and kept Darcy (who is not). Both had mediocre results. Both deserved to be fired.

The problem a lot of people have is that it looks like Darcy has a lifetime contract and can do no wrong. He has hte security and tenure of a GM who has multiple Stanley Cups to his credit, not one cup finals appearance very early on and none since (not to mention zero titles).

People just want Darcy gone. That will fix a lot of this.

The team fired Lindy (who was loved) and kept Darcy (who is not). Both had mediocre results. Both deserved to be fired.

The problem a lot of people have is that it looks like Darcy has a lifetime contract and can do no wrong. He has hte security and tenure of a GM who has multiple Stanley Cups to his credit, not one cup finals appearance very early on and none since (not to mention zero titles).

Exactly, and it's not personal. He was given keys to a Ferrari, and he wrecked it. We want him held responsible. I really see no issues here whats so ever.

They tell the truth, and some fans can't accept that. Our teams consistently underperform, and somehow that's OK and deserving of praise?!? No, I'd say they get it right.

Like I said, I've got no problem with differing opinions. I've got no problem with people telling it like it is whether we want to hear it or not. I'm not an optimist or a pessimist, I'm a realist. I want to hear the truth all the time. I don't want anything sugarcoated, give it to me straight. The problem I have is the means by which they go about doing it.

I really have no problem with the actual work they do. As many have noted, the internet changed everything, and I completely understand when one of their writers has an opinion wildly different than mine. But I do get pretty annoyed at the way they act on twitter. I don't get involved but it seems like every day they are arguing with fans of the team or writers from other media outlets, usually about stuff stupider than what we argue about on here -- I mean, we can sit here and post back and forth arguing for days on end and we're not going to change each others opinion... you're certainly not going to be able to do that in 250 characters or less. But the worst part is how they'll block someone, then tweet about it like they "won" the argument by blocking people.

In this day and age, if you're going to publish anything on the internet or have any kind of following, you better learn to deal with criticism. Especially when it comes to subjects like politics or sports.

Nice post.

Why are you here again?

Because some fans are happy grovelling on the ground for any scraps their team is willing to toss their way. Terry Pegula's only job is to make sure the Sabres exist. Any level of expectations in regards to performance or any level of accountability is obviously unreasonable. :doh:

What is still amazing to me, however, is how many people really have no idea how business works. They don't understand that if their opinion was the unanimous opinion of the viewers and listeners, none of these guys would have a job. Enough people read Sully, Buck, Esmonde and listen to Schopp, the Bulldog, Jeremy White, et al that their employers have decided that they get enough bang for their buck. Now you don't have to listen or read, and you are definitely entitled to your opinion, just remember that enough people disagree with you to keep them all employed.

Researcher: The average radio listener listens for eighteen minutes a day. The average Howard Stern fan listens for - are you ready for this? - an hour and twenty minutes.

Kenny: How could this be?

Researcher: Answer most commonly given: "I want to see what he'll say next."

Kenny: : All right, fine. But what about the people who hate Stern?

Researcher: Good point. The average Stern hater listens for two and a half hours a day.

Kenny: : But... if they hate him, why do they listen?

Researcher: Most common answer: "I want to see what he'll say next."

No, Buffalo fans are just miserable, insufferable pricks. That's why people like Jerry Sullivan and Mike Schopp have jobs. Look at how we are turning on our "dream" owner after only two full seasons. Wahhhhhh! Where's our Stanley Cup?? You promised! WAHHHHHHHH!!

PTR

Well, most everything you read in the news (or the News) is bad these days. (North Korea, mass shootings, etc.) Frankly, your impression of Buffalo fans (yes, I am one) is pretty negative itself. I read the News AND listen to WGR AND read from TSN's, CBC's and ESPN's web sites about hockey. Each writer has their own point of view, some more positive than others. I think I am grown-up enough to decide who's opinion I agree with and those I do not. For a city that went to a Super Bowl four times and a Stanley Cup Final twice in the last 40+ years and still came up empty, I'm amazed at the number of fans still on board with both franchises. Otherwise, I think we deserve to be down on the Bills and Sabres just a little bit. Yes, I am still a Sabres(and Bills) fan, but I'm also a realist. Both teams are in need of a basic shift in philosophy (to start) and to do a whole lot better stocking their teams with talent (coaches as well as players). The fact that some writers are overly critical is a fact of life. Perhaps the day after the Sabres' Stanley Cup parade down Delaware Ave., Sully will write an article about sunshine, kittens, rainbows and unicorns... Until then, it is what it is... :)

This is what we tell ourselves.

So their crime is setting the bar too high and not achieving their goal? The horror. No wonder such knowledgeable fans are demanding heads roll.

PTR

C'mon PTR...you put this entire franchise including owner and front office staff in any other city, and the fan/media reaction would be no different. IMO the media scrutiny would be a lot worse in many of the NHL's bigger markets.

It's all entertainment. You need some conflict to keep the story moving. Sports Writers create this conflict all the time.

My problem is that these guys are not creative and not entertaining in their writing, no that they create these characters.

These guys are entertainers. They can only be judged by whether people are coming back or not. And people are listening/reading/etc. So they're doing fine.

C'mon PTR...you put this entire franchise including owner and front office staff in any other city, and the fan/media reaction would be no different. IMO the media scrutiny would be a lot worse in many of the NHL's bigger markets.

While there is a certain amount of negativity in other markets, and everyone who's team falls short thinks their situation is the worst ever, Buffalo elevates negativity to an art form. Here's a challenge: give me an example of any move, draft, signing etc by any Buffalo team that didn't come with a negative spin?

PTR

While there is a certain amount of negativity in other markets, and everyone who's team falls short thinks their situation is the worst ever, Buffalo elevates negativity to an art form. Here's a challenge: give me an example of any move, draft, signing etc by any Buffalo team that didn't come with a negative spin?

PTR

Chris Drury trade

Mario Williams signing

Cornelius Bennett trade

Pat LaFontaine trade

Drew Bledsoe trade

OK, I'll take a shot; it could be fun. Disclaimer - not saying I necessarily agree w/ any of the criticism that follows, but it was there.

Chris Drury trade - career 2nd liner rode coattails of Forsberg and Sakic; if he's so good why's he about to be on his 3rd team in ~2 years.

Mario Williams signing - injury prone, overrated, Bills had to overpay to get him to come to town

Cornelius Bennett trade - selfish player, refused to play for Colts, giving up too much for him

Pat LaFontaine trade - don't recall any bs about this one, w/ possible exception that LaLa shouldn't have been holding out on the Island

Drew Bledsoe trade - dangerous trading w/in division

So, how'd I do?

OK, I'll take a shot; it could be fun. Disclaimer - not saying I necessarily agree w/ any of the criticism that follows, but it was there.

So, how'd I do?

If the exercise is to come up with a Buffalo move where absolutely no one in the entire city could find anything to complain or worry about, then it's a total waste of time.

There's basically no such thing as a sports move where no one can find a possible downside. When the Angels signed Albert Pujols last winter, there was a handful of fans who thought it was a dumb move (so far they're right, BTW). The moves he listed were overwhelmingly popular when they happened. You can add the Regehr and Ehrhoff acquisitions to that list too.

So, how'd I do?

Maybe my memory is failing me, but I don't remember the negative outcry in regards to any of these.

PTR

I disagree here as well. Think Buffalo fans are more " positive" than any fans on the planet. We see the teams as some sort of reflection on the region and thus on us, so we are always hoping for the best.Now, do we feel something bad is always about to. Happen? Absolutely! But that comes with the record of both teams last 40 years...not a short term phenomena

I am not a hugely critical guy, I want the teams in Buffalo more than I want wins...but do think one might necessarily follow the other, especially in the Bills case.

Can someone fill me in how the Cleveland media presents? Think that is prolly the closet in terms of 75% suckitude filled with with 25% success.

I agree.

If PTR wants to see if Buffalo can be "positive", he should check the forums, read the paper or listen to WGR after Darcy Regier is fired, and who ever they bring in will be welcomed with open arms. There will not be a single negative soul if they add to the hockey department and hire Rick Dudley, for example.

If the exercise is to come up with a Buffalo move where absolutely no one in the entire city could find anything to complain or worry about, then it's a total waste of time.

There's basically no such thing as a sports move where no one can find a possible downside. When the Angels signed Albert Pujols last winter, there was a handful of fans who thought it was a dumb move (so far they're right, BTW). The moves he listed were overwhelmingly popular when they happened. You can add the Regehr and Ehrhoff acquisitions to that list too.

And yet the Ehrhoff and Regier signings are held up as reasons to fire Darcy.

PTR

Wow, 43 responses and no mention of Bucky Gleason yet.

Let me just say that I think he's the worst of the worst. His whole career is hating the Sabres from top to bottom, and spreading it all over Buffalo.

No mentions because we mostly forgot he exists.silly gets on the radio, si he has a litte more exposure.

Archived