Game of Thrones

qwksndmonster

• 1 month later...

1) No, but it's the only readily available way to try to mock you. Nobody likes Stannis!

2) The show is good as long as you're not constantly comparing it to the books, hoping for a 1:1 presentation. Does it have its problems? Sure! So do the books. The problems are just different.

1) You think that's the only readily available way to mock me? Have you read a single post of mine since I've been here?  

Who are these people that don't like Stannis?  I don't know anybody like that in my ASoIaF circle.  I come across these people on the internet every now and again...

2) I disagree that the show is good.  The first season was consistently good.  Elsewise the rest of the series is littered with good episodes here and there.  One main problem is that only one of the camera crews is competent and half of the show is terribly shot.  This problem is compounded by bad editing.

None of that even touches the writing which has been... declining shall we say.  The books work as an easy comparison shorthand for when character arcs are mishandled. Some of the more recent blunders are the show runners following the books too closely.  Arya's story was pretty faithfully adapted and it bored me to tears.

Jon Snow dies despite absolutely no set up other than Olly really hates wildlings. Wildlings killed his parents.  So he really. ######. Hates them. Oh and Thorne is a dick.  Why were you trying to fight the White Walkers, Jon?  Nobody at the Wall cares about that! The wildlings killed Olly's parents!

I think Dany is pretty badly done in the show, and Tyrion is way too good/nice.  Jaime is... well... I have no idea what's going on with Jaime, and Brienne is an angry rage monster who doesn't actually seem to be very knightly.

The casting for this show is amazing.  I like pretty much every actor. Theon, Tywin, Bronn, Ned, Arya, Sandor, Bobby B, and Oberyn are all very well done. Great side characters: Qyburn, Syrio, Jory, Karl Fookin' Tanner, Grenn, Queen of Thorns

Can you please stop telling me that I'm hoping for a direct adaption? That is the weakest defense I've ever heard.  Deviations from the book have been both great and terrible.

And Return of The Jedi is ###### awesome.

Edited by qwksndmonster

PA's Battista = Battista

Freeman's Battista = Russ Brandon

Ghost's Battista = ...I don't want to get banned, but most semi-vets around here will knows!

Qwk's Battista = GoT

In all honesty, you're more critical of GoT on HBO than I am, which is fine, I'm happy agreeing to disagree. I enjoy the show and go along for the ride and I'm willing to overlook some shortcomings because I have a great deal of sympathy for cramming 1200 pages tomes into 10 hours of TV. Flaws are there, of course, they just don't bother me as much as they do you. S'all good :)

PS: RotJ was my favorite Star Wars movie, I just didn't entirely buy the ending.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

So this is it: this is the season we finally move completely past the books. I think it will leave us with more questions than answers in a lot of ways, but considering I figure its about 50/50 whether GRRM dies before finishing the series I'm ok with it in general. Lots of stuff in that trailer, looks good.

So this is it: this is the season we finally move completely past the books. I think it will leave us with more questions than answers in a lot of ways, but considering I figure its about 50/50 whether GRRM dies before finishing the series I'm ok with it in general. Lots of stuff in that trailer, looks good.

Maybe, but they have a lot of material they haven't used from the last two books.......Not even close to be done with those books

So I learned this morning that Ian McShane, who is a terrific actor and played IMHO one of the best characters in TV history on "Deadwood" (which was a great HBO show that ran for 3 seasons, ending about 5 years ago), is going to be on GoT this year. 

Evidently, McShane gave an interview recently in which he revealed some GoT plot spoilers, which naturally resulted in some blowback from fans of the show.  When he was subsequently asked about the hubbub, he said something like "these people need to get a f---ing life.  It's just a bunch of tits and dragons."

Holy mackerel I am psyched for this season.

Oh man this show is so bad.  I'm looking forward to it being a buncha campy slock instead of being a slow form assassination of every single character arc.  I also hope they throw some bright colors on the screen as well, and maybe get a B camera crew that knows which end of the camera makes movies come out.

Oh man this show is so bad.  I'm looking forward to it being a buncha campy slock instead of being a slow form assassination of every single character arc.  I also hope they throw some bright colors on the screen as well, and maybe get a B camera crew that knows which end of the camera makes movies come out.

Actually, campy implies fun.  There's no way the creators of this show are going to let it be fun.

I honestly don't know why you watch the show.

This is exactly how I feel about the Walking Dead thread.

I've never seen an episode of this show, but if Ian McShane is going to be in it, I guess I could start watching. 

Just as a heads up,

if he's the character he pretty much said he is, he'll only be in a few episodes max

. That said, yes, you should watch it/read the books. Then, when GRRM dies before finishing them, I'll have a bigger group to commit ritual suicide with.

Edited by sabills

This is exactly how I feel about the Walking Dead thread.

Just as a heads up, if he's the character he pretty much said he is, he'll only be in a few episodes max. That said, yes, you should watch it/read the books. Then, when GRRM dies before finishing them, I'll have a bigger group to commit ritual suicide with.

It's not our fault Rick and Daryl randomly forgot seemingly everything they learned about survival the moment they met Jesus :angry:

Dude! No spoilers in here!

Is that really a spoiler? I guess I just mean that he's not a main character. He could be in more than that depending on how stuff goes (get hype, for those that know what I mean). I'm just saying man can not live on Ian McShane alone, in regards to GoT anyways.

EDIT: Threw spoiler tags on the original.

It's not our fault Rick and Daryl randomly forgot seemingly everything they learned about survival the moment they met Jesus :angry:

Edited by sabills

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.