The other sports thread

Eleven

So, ummmm....  How 'bout thos Rangers? :flirt:

You want to know what I think, well I'll tell you what I think ...

FIRE GIBBONS NOW!!

Really, right now.  He is in over his head.  Have the pitching coach take over.

If he had not rested his starters for a second game in a row after clinching the East and if he had not rested Price for freakin' 11 days and if he had not given that fat cow a start on 1 friggin' days reat just to get 2 innings so he could have 200 innings for 15 straight season ... we could very well be playing the Astros now.

If by some miracle the Jays beat Hamels tomorrow afternoon we had better see Price start game 4, or I will punch Gibbons right in the chops.  Literally, I will go to Texas and find him and punch him right in the face.

-----

Chz.

Fell free to move this post to the Pissed Off Thursday thread ... it is Thursday isn't it?

So, ummmm....  How 'bout thos Rangers? :flirt:

Ok real post now.

They pitched better and manufactured at least 2 runs.  Bannister out managed Gibbons, but that really is not a surprise.

Fun fact: Back to the Future II had the Cubs winning the 2015 WS

Over Miami though, so not sure whether to call it a good prediction or not.

Also, all 4 road teams have won so far.  This is shaping up to be an exciting baseball playoffs.

Thank goodness the Rangers don't play in Dallas, Dallas Country, or have Dallas in their name then.

They are most definitely associated with Dallas, though.

I actually like Fort Worth.  But let's not pretend that it, on its own and without Dallas, is going to support a major league baseball team.

Someday it will.  (Seriously, FtW is projected to outgrow Dallas).

Baseball is the one local sport where I don't have any conflicts with a Buffalo home team.

And you'd like the shirts they wear at the Railhead Smoke House here in Ft Worth.  They read, "LIFE'S TOO SHORT TO LIVE IN DALLAS" on the back.

Edited by Robins Egg

Ah yup, I remember you and Robviously getting it over this. Why do you hate Texas so much, again?

I'll chime in: many of the people from Texas haven't exactly been humble, which is a mark against them in my book. They're like Yankees fans or Boston fans, but an entire state. Plus, Texas always seem to come up with some cockamamie BS, like the Jade Helm nonsense and their "interesting" text books.

The Rugby World Cup is going on now.  I want to know who believes the All Blacks, as they themselves claim, are putting up relatively modest results against the minnows in their pool because they are trying not to expose their set plays before they absolutely have to. They are basically in preseason mode with regard to all set-piece play...so they say.

Or, are they as vulnerable as they might seem to be, giving the underwhelming nature of their three pool victories to date? 

I hope it's the former, as they are my favorite pro sports team, after the Bills/Sabres (who are tied for 1st in my heart).

Everyone knows they are largely a mess in World Cups.  Even their win in 2011 was as close and unconvincing as it could possibly be.  Yet they are the undisputed kings of the planet and are the only team with a winning record against every other nation. 

And I really like Hansen as a coach.  I hope they're just keeping their powder dry. 

My biggest fear going into this was actually England, but amazingly they're eliminated.  Aus, SA and (unfortunately) France all look plenty good enough to win.  

Anyone else following this?

Ah yup, I remember you and Robviously getting it over this. Why do you hate Texas so much, again?

Why not?

I think I've come to the decision to live without it.  Trade it back to Mexico for Oaxaca or something.

Edited by eleven

Why not?

I think I've come to the decision to live without it.  Trade it back to Mexico for Oaxaca or something.

I don't think you'll get a taker, you might have to waive Texas to get a taker. Hopefully someone picks it up, otherwise you'll still be paying Texas but it'll be with Pureto Rico and the Philippines.

I don't think you'll get a taker, you might have to waive Texas to get a taker. Hopefully someone picks it up, otherwise you'll still be paying Texas but it'll be with Pureto Rico and the Philippines.

Nah, Mexico wants it.  It's the reason we entered World War I.

The fact that a Miami team even exists now was a pretty good prediction 1989.

Good point.  So if the Cubs win this year, what does this all mean?  Luck?  Life's events are largely scripted by someone or a group of people?  Some kind of cosmic or divine power that influenced the writer(s) in the 1980s and are making it happen in 2015 as predicted?  

giphy.gif

Good point.  So if the Cubs win this year, what does this all mean?  Luck?  Life's events are largely scripted by someone or a group of people?  Some kind of cosmic or divine power that influenced the writer(s) in the 1980s and are making it happen in 2015 as predicted?  

giphy.gif

That comedy central logo reminds me of something.

Bonus baseball in the Jays - Rangers game 2. Napoli with a clutch pinch hit in the 8th to tie it up off of Cecil.

Gotta take this game, it would be tough to head to Texas down 0-2.

Blue Jays' playoff chances are on the edge right now.  I don't see them winning this series if they lose this game.

Jays gotta stop complaining about the strike zone.

It works both ways.  From my (Rangers) perspective the ball-strike calls have been terrible.  I think part of it has to do with the display they're using for the telecast.

So, like, Roughned Odor is a game changer, ain't he?  :wub:

The fact that a Miami team even exists now was a pretty good prediction 1989.

It was an educated guess.  The Florida Marlins were announced in 1991; there was probably talk about it long before that.

I'll chime in: many of the people from Texas haven't exactly been humble, which is a mark against them in my book. They're like Yankees fans or Boston fans, but an entire state. Plus, Texas always seem to come up with some cockamamie BS, like the Jade Helm nonsense and their "interesting" text books.

As someone who lives here, let me just say that at least it's not as bad as Florida.