The other sports thread

Eleven

No worries NS. I have no reason to believe the Yankees go far this postseason; we lack at least 1 solid starter and our offense is sputtering, specifically Ellsbury and Gardner

Ellsbury can't get deep into a count to save his life right now. The table setters are not doing their jobs. Only Beltran and Bird are driving in runs and Girardi insists on using a 7th inning man who hasn't gotten 3 outs in the 7th inning in like 3 months. So now Betances is getting burned out, Miller is coming on in non save situations and out once unhittable bullpen is looking very much hittable.

Ellsbury can't get deep into a count to save his life right now. The table setters are not doing their jobs. Only Beltran and Bird are driving in runs and Girardi insists on using a 7th inning man who hasn't gotten 3 outs in the 7th inning in like 3 months. So now Betances is getting burned out, Miller is coming on in non save situations and out once unhittable bullpen is looking very much hittable.

A solid assessment. Girardi's bullpen management has been sickening lately. He insists on putting guys in who can't throw strikes, and then leaving them in there

OK ... OK!!

Blue Jays ... Blue Jays!!

Lets Play Ball ...

In October ... in the playoffs!!

The Jays have clinched at least the second AL wildcard.  Only a matter of time before they clinch the AL East ... another win today, but it was pretty ugly.  Oh, well.

NS, hadn't heard that in years.

Thanks for the memory.

Would be pretty sweet if this playoff run is as good as their last 2.

Based on my casual reading of this thread, it feels like the Blue Jays have been playing the Yankees every single day since the trade deadline.  You have to give a big thumbs up to the schedule makers as it looks like they have nailed it this year.

Same thing in the AL West where all the teams are playing each other, most of them twice, over the last two weeks of the season.

Bought Mets tickets a while ago for the game vs. Cincinnati yesterday and thanks to great fortune, it happened to be the game they clinched the NL East.  Great scene in Cincinnati.  Many Mets fans made the trip and the Reds were gracious hosts. They congratulated the Mets on the scoreboards at the end of the game.  The crowd was probably 35-40% Mets fans and many loud "Let's go Mets!" chants broke out throughout the game.  The best sign I saw was "I was 12 the last time this happened!"

Now on to the Dodgers in the NLDS.  Tight race for home field as the Mets have a 1/2 game lead and the tie breaker.  We'll see how the last week goes.  Feels great to be in the playoffs again (finally) and have a reason to watch postseason baseball.

Bought Mets tickets a while ago for the game vs. Cincinnati yesterday and thanks to great fortune, it happened to be the game they clinched the NL East.  Great scene in Cincinnati.  Many Mets fans made the trip and the Reds were gracious hosts. They congratulated the Mets on the scoreboards at the end of the game.  The crowd was probably 35-40% Mets fans and many loud "Let's go Mets!" chants broke out throughout the game.  The best sign I saw was "I was 12 the last time this happened!"

Now on to the Dodgers in the NLDS.  Tight race for home field as the Mets have a 1/2 game lead and the tie breaker.  We'll see how the last week goes.  Feels great to be in the playoffs again (finally) and have a reason to watch postseason baseball.

And to think, this team was legitimately hot garbage as recently as the end of June / first part of July. It's been a fun couple months. Here's hoping it continues to at least one more.

So did Strawberry and Gooden; they still won a World Series. What of it? Baseball teams will have prima donnas. Always. Managers who suck should be gone.

I was 1 in 86. I'll take your word for it. My teams manager sucks too, so I'm totally with you.

Edit: I always had the impression that Gooden and Strawberry were more like rock stars, doing coke and banging hookers/groupies.

Edited by ubkev

I was 1 in 86. I'll take your word for it. My teams manager sucks too, so I'm totally with you.

Edit: I always had the impression that Gooden and Strawberry were more like rock stars, doing coke and banging hookers/groupies.

That was the way of acting like spoiled children then.  Cf. Jim McMahon.

That didn't last long. 

Nah, about 80 minutes, right?

So did Strawberry and Gooden; they still won a World Series.  What of it?  Baseball teams will have prima donnas.  Always.  Managers who suck should be gone.

I don't think anyone is implying the NL MVP is the reason the team isn't in the postseason.  I think they are implying he is tough person to like because of his personality.  I don't mind it too much, but I somewhat agree

I don't think anyone is implying the NL MVP is the reason the team isn't in the postseason.  I think they are implying he is tough person to like because of his personality.  I don't mind it too much, but I somewhat agree

Yes. So were Strawberry and Gooden.  

Edited by eleven

Yes. So were Strawberry and Gooden.

I'm gonna pull you up there. Both had their issues. Both off the field. Strawberry fought Kieth Hernandez and was shipped to L.A. In short order. Gooden lasted until 1994 with the Mets. Both left everything they had (which varied depending on how high they were) on the field. Harper can't be bothered to run out a ground ball to second, and he doesn't have a crippling cocaine addiction to blame. He's a sublime player with the brain of a petulant twelve year old. Very very different. Edited by Sabres79

Are you saying Harper doesn't hustle? He's one of about 10 players in the league that sprints out every ground ball. And, I know this isn't your point, but he just had, statistically speaking, one of the best seasons ever, at 22 years old

That was the whole issue today. He pouted like a spoiled little kid in the batters box instead of busting it down the line on a pop up. Papelbon called him out on it in the dugout. Harper pouted some more. Then Papelbon attempted to strangle him.

That was the whole issue today. He pouted like a spoiled little kid in the batters box instead of busting it down the line on a pop up. Papelbon called him out on it in the dugout. Harper pouted some more. Then Papelbon attempted to strangle him.

I missed that. But I watched Pap for years in Boston, and he was always a prick. Fast forward and he's in Philly, demanding a trade and again being a prick. He goes to Washington, they start falling apart, he throws at Machado's head, and so, still a prick.

I missed that. But I watched Pap for years in Boston, and he was always a prick. Fast forward and he's in Philly, demanding a trade and again being a prick. He goes to Washington, they start falling apart, he throws at Machado's head, and so, still a prick.

You'll get no argument from me on this.

.... but he was right to call Harper out.