The other sports thread

Eleven

Sexual violence by players does not carry NCAA sanctions. Players taking payments does. The discrepancy is completely explained by those two sentences.

Duke didn't ruin anyone's life. I know the wife of one of the players accused. His college sports season was ruined, certainly not his life.

It would be interesting to meet one of the three players and ask just how much the anxiety--am I going to prison for the next twenty years?--affects them today. I'm guessing it's more than just a sports season that was ruined. And the coach lost his livelihood.

Your first paragraph is dead on. It's also wrong. (Not as in incorrect, but as in it just shouldn't be that way.)

It would be interesting to meet one of the three players and ask just how much the anxiety--am I going to prison for the next twenty years?--affects them today. I'm guessing it's more than just a sports season that was ruined. And the coach lost his livelihood.

Your first paragraph is dead on. It's also wrong. (Not as in incorrect, but as in it just shouldn't be that way.)

Duke had nothing to do with the DA's overzealous prosecution, right? Prison is out of their scope.

I have lost almost all passion for college football. Nothing you see is what you're getting. A team might be good, but it's probably because their QB got to spend a night with the school's best looking girl in his suspiciously expensive brand-new car.

How's that perfect matchup for the O's workin' out so far?

I think the Orioles will win the series. And have a very good chance to win the next one too.

I like the way they played. I did not expect 3 different oriole pitchers to implode in the same game. I also do not expect that to continue.

In Buck We Trust.

Great underdog story, but from a series perspective, a sweep is as boring as it gets.

There's been far too many this postseason. The only entertaining series I saw was the Nationals vs. Giants.

I think the sweep hurts them in the WS anyways. They've got too much time on their hands to settle in as AL champions rather then play right away

One other note...another "made for TV" trophy presentation. Royals win, and then wait 15-20 minutes for stage to be assembled at 2nd base for ceremony.

Let them go in the locker room, get the champagne flowing, and have the trophy presentation take place in there.

This goes hand in hand with my annual rant when the Stanley Cup is now handed out. Instead of the players being able to skate the Cup around the entire rink, handing it from one to the other, they are now relegated to a pirouette with the Cup above their head because of a mob of media on the ice.

Edited by LabattBlue

This goes hand in hand with my annual rant when the Stanley Cup is now handed out. Instead of the players being able to skate the Cup around the entire rink, handing it from one to the other, they are now relegated to a pirouette with the Cup above their head because of a mob of media on the ice.

One last thought as the players are still on the field, what kind of celebration is it when in one arm you have your baby, and you have your other arm around your wife. YOU'RE GOING TO THE WORLD SERIES, GET IN THE LOCKER ROOM AND GO CRAZY. Hug your kid after you leave the locker room, and get your congratulatory BJ from the wife when you get home. :w00t:

I'm done now.

Edited by LabattBlue

Somebody should tell baseball it's time to grow up and stop celebrating everything.

Clinch playoff berth: pop champagne.

Win one-game playoff: pop champagne.

Win first round: pop champagne.

Win championship series: pop champagne.

Win world series: ######, I wish we would've lost this series. I'm sick of champagne.