Soccer (Football) ~ Everything About The Beautiful Game

Sabres Fan in NS

Just watched Barcelona-Madrid.  Crazy end to the game, Madrid will be happier about it. 

Ray Hudson (Horrible, horrible Spanish football commentator for English-language TV) and Jack Edwards need to be strapped to the same rocket and fired directly into the sun, however.  I have no idea why anyone thinks he's good.  Edwards, at least, can be avoided.  Hudson can only be muted. 

That's a rather inefficient way to launch them into the Sun. It'll save fuel if you use the earth and moon (and possibly Venus) to slingshot. That being said, I don't want Jack Edwards to be the first human (well, primate, at least) to leave the Earth-moon system.

We do at soccer games.

So, in niche pockets, yes. But that's an American sub-culture, not the culture.

There are times when the weirdly Europhilic behaviours of lively MLS crowds inspire a big ol' eye roll from me. For crying out loud, the crowds in Columbus (Ohio!) sing with a vaguely British lilt.

In Canada too.

Which, culturally, is quite British. In most spots.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wenger will be the Arsenal manager beyond the inevitable heat death of the universe. He'll be back. Unfortunately.

The interview I just watched, he said he had reached a decision regarding his future, and that he would announce it soon.

Whatever that means, I have no idea.  Of course, it's not solely his decision.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/lionel-messi-suspended-1.4043812

:w00t:

Serves that cry baby right.

Didn't Messi say he wasn't going to play international anymore like, 2 years ago?

He was positively Messi like against Honduras.

Its pure homerism I'm sure, but I feel similar about Pulisic to how I feel about Jack Eichel. He's young but already great. He'll be even better when his teammates get used to how great he is. Eichel was making plays last year that were so fast teammates weren't mentally prepared for them; this year they can anticipate him much better and its paying off. Pulisic made some ridiculous passes, specifically to Altidore, that teammates just weren't ready for. When they've played with him a bit and are ready for the level he plays at he'll skyrocket.

• 1 month later...

It's rather comforting to know that some things will never change.

Exhibit A:

Meet the new boss ,,, same as the old boss ...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/fifa-ouster-corruption-watchdogs-1.4107528

FIFA is by far the most corrupt organization in the world.  They are more corrupt than all the corrupt dictators around the world put together.

It's rather comforting to know that some things will never change.

Exhibit A:

Meet the new boss ,,, same as the old boss ...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/fifa-ouster-corruption-watchdogs-1.4107528

FIFA is by far the most corrupt organization in the world.  They are more corrupt than all the corrupt dictators around the world put together.

It's official:  Donald Trump is running FIFA.

• 4 weeks later...

Juventus had an incredible attack in the first 30 minutes.  And maybe the best soccer goal that I ever have seen live (live as in I was watching on TV instead of some crap on youtube).  Shame they lost it.  They were completely less fit than Madrid.  

Juventus had an incredible attack in the first 30 minutes.  And maybe the best soccer goal that I ever have seen live (live as in I was watching on TV instead of some crap on youtube).  Shame they lost it.  They were completely less fit than Madrid.  

Modric and Kroos took the game over in the second half. Was fun to watch.

Would have likde to see Buffon win one.