Draft day thread

spndnchz

I believe Buffalo is going to make a good trade today with their 21st, 2nd rounders and some core player.

Also they are going to pick Radek Faksa at 12th or move up a little higher just to get him.

By the end of day Mcnabb, Roy, Sekera and possibly Stafford with be gone.

Bold and ballsy prediction. I like it. Knowing Darcy, I agree that he won't want to move #12 and is more likely to package #21 with one or more players (Roy + D-man) for a forward with some size. But, who can we realistically get for that price? Personally, I doubt it will be one of the "big" names that are being thrown around (Ryan, Nash, Stasny, etc.).

I believe Buffalo is going to make a good trade today with their 21st, 2nd rounders and some core player.

Also they are going to pick Radek Faksa at 12th or move up a little higher just to get him.

By the end of day Mcnabb, Roy, Sekera and possibly Stafford with be gone.

Agree to some extent.

I speculate that the 21st and the two 2nd rounders are the picks being dangled.

I don't believe McNabb is going anywhere but the roster this up coming season, but Roy, Sekera, Stafford, yes, I can see them possibly moved.

Also Leopold, and surprisingly to a larger extent, I can see Vanek being dangled for a 1 on 1 trade.

WGR just said that Darcy received an offer to actually move DOWN in the draft (it would involve our second first round pick) but he turned it down.

Kevin Snow also mentioned Darcy is worried about messing with chemistry of the team. Also mentioned how the team looks at pairs of players rather than lines (Vanek Pominville, Stafford Ennis)

Kevin Snow also mentioned Darcy is worried about messing with chemistry of the team. Also mentioned how the team looks at pairs of players rather than lines (Vanek Pominville, Stafford Ennis)

Yeah, why mess with success? :rolleyes:

I'm not buying Regier's line of expecting to pick all 4 picks in the first 2 rounds one bit.

He's working an angle, appears to want to hang on to Foligno, Ennis and Stafford and is waiting until the draft this evening to make a move in my opinion.

i think all the GMs are waiting until atleast a couple hours before teh draft starts to come down a bit on the asking prices and get serious about making a move. ts one big game of chicken that the GMs play during the year (before the draft, before July 1, and at the deadline). You hold out til you get what you want and if no one bites you take the best one before the deadline.

Yes....that loss of Gaustad really screwed up the chemistry.

I actually feel sorry for Darcy. he's been here so long he really is in a no win position.

Messing with chemistry is such a broad explanation. It coukd be just ad much about who you bring in as opposed to who goes out. Just try to picture what bringing in a guy like Sean Avery would do to chemistry.

If the Sabres walk away from the first round drafting at #12 and #21 it will be a huge disappointment.

Picking is always a good option.

It really depends who falls to #12 and #21.

Personally, I don't see much movement this draft in terms of trades. I think we'll see more action next week.

it cannot be escaped that the coming cba negotiations are oncoming and general managers to make present moves must somehow factor into what will be composition of the new cba. It very well be for many while they very much would like to make moves via trades ect, the most prudent this to do is sit tight and await what new cba will be. Boring perhaps for the present but necessary and wise perhaps.

canada's sportsnet saying Flyers and Columbus in negotiations with Columbus goaltender going to Flyers, deal in works not a done deal yet

Darcy read between the lines edition:

...trying to decide if we could get that second player or would we have to move up in order to ensure that we can get that player.

We have a clear idea of what players we want to select, it'll just a be gamble on whether or not we have to trade to secure the #2 guy.

With anyone we pick today, it's not likely that they're going to make an impact with our team next year....when it comes down to it I think we're going to take the best player.

If we address the need for a center, it'll be with a trade or a UFA signing.

It isn't going to benefit us to acquire a player to fill a hole if we create a bigger hole somewhere else.

That tells me we're not willing to move anchor players for a centerman. Moving Miller, Myers, or even Roy could create larger holes in those positions than would be benefitted by adding one player. This could mean that a package-type deal is what we prefer, trading several depth players for a stud.

The other consideration that comes into play with some of the players we've talked about, that've been asked for, is you have chemistry factors. You have a couple of players on our team that have good chemistry and play well togehter. So if we break that up in a trade in the hopes of doing better on the acquisition side, the unknown is if you'd be able to recreate that chemistry with that player or some other player.

At least some trade discussions have gone so far to exchange ideas on who to move from the Sabres, including Sabres that have good chemistry. Sabres that have notably good chemistry: Foligno-Ennis-Stafford, Ehrhoff-Sulzer. Regier may be thinking long about breaking up FES, meaning specifically that he may hesitate to trade one of them (ahem, Stafford) without some idea on who would replace them.

We're lining up to pick the four players with our picks and that's the greatest likelihood.

Unless something comes out of left field, we're picking.

Either way, I'm excited.

Guest Sloth

Will not be surprised or disappointed if Buffalo simply picks today. W/ the Sabres depth in defense and picks they make today, they'll have plenty to offer this summer. I will be disappointed if a legitimate change has not been made before the puck is dropped, though.

Will not be surprised or disappointed if Buffalo simply picks today. W/ the Sabres depth in defense and picks they make today, they'll have plenty to offer this summer. I will be disappointed if a legitimate change has not been made before the puck is dropped, though.

This.

Before anybody's panties get entirely too wadded up, just remember the Hodgson-Kassian "blockbuster" (I mean, it was the biggest trade of the deadline) came together like an hour before the deadline. IF there are any pre-draft trades made, I don't expect it until closer to the start of the draft.

Before anybody's panties get entirely too wadded up, just remember the Hodgson-Kassian "blockbuster" (I mean, it was the biggest trade of the deadline) came together like an hour before the deadline. IF there are any pre-draft trades made, I don't expect it until closer to the start of the draft.

That was my thought as well. I think once the first 2 or 3 picks shape up, there might be even more movement, especially if three are any surprise picks

Archived