Ron Maclean compares hockey players to 9/11 responders

millbank

http://deadspin.com/...esponders-fails

Watching last evening game and Ron Maclean introduction to game must admit I winced when I heard his comments. Generally enjoy the man , but thought to myself, " good God, did he just say that?"... got to believe he will make apology, also believe many will want more.

Making situation more intense next broadcast in New York, not far from 9/11 site.

What do you think. ?

We shall see. Its only 10:30 am but will not be surprised this does not turn into a pretty big fuss. Listened to it a couple of times wanting to hear it wasn't as inappropriate as it initially sounded, but it was and is...

No need to make an apology. He was just searching for a way to describe the commitment and desperation of this time of year against the backdrop of NY/WAS. He's classy enough that you know there is no ill will.

"Those Rangers....they're like the tireless soccer moms, vanning their children from venue to venue in their Lexus-430, preparing the countless healthy snacks needed for nourishment and development."

Really....it was a little poetic diatribe instead of the thoughtless..."Boy do we have a doozie for you tonight!"

No need to make an apology. He was just searching for a way to describe the commitment and desperation of this time of year against the backdrop of NY/WAS. He's classy enough that you know there is no ill will.

"Those Rangers....they're like the tireless soccer moms, vanning their children from venue to venue in their Lexus-430, preparing the countless healthy snacks needed for nourishment and development."

Really....it was a little poetic diatribe instead of the thoughtless..."Boy do we have a doozie for you tonight!"

Why do you hate firemen?

(it's a joke)

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/972211/statement-from-ron-maclean-and-cbc

Above is statement Ron Maclean released regarding his comments to clarify them. It is not a apology but a clarification....

some of what he said in clarification:

“We never know if we’ll have that spirit. The bravery, the resilience. As I made clear, the hockey games in no way compare. However Sports has proven a worthy training ground in nurturing the qualities which beget that spirit. To say he plays like a firefighter or a policeman would instantly conjure the traits an athlete most desires, especially in New York and Washington. There could be no higher praise of a player, no greater choice of a role model."

-its clear what his intent was , still no doubt as stated by shrader there are area's best not to go...

The analogy can only be valid when police officers, firefighters and soldiers are paid millions of dollars and no longer have the danger of being shot at or having a burning building fall on them at work. Until then, hockey players (no matter what their skill or level of dedication) are not even remotely like any of the other professions. Sometimes Ron reaches a little too far... Maybe sitting so close to Don Cherry has allowed the dumb to rub off.

It was poetic license on his part, kinda like saying these 2 teams are going to/at war with each other. I understand him saying it and I understand some people getting pissed with it. However there are hundreds if not thousands of things that happen each day that are worth my time more then getting upset about this.

Why should everybody in the media need to apologize every time somebody gets offended?

Depending on what was said, they shouldn't. Anybody who is on live enough is eventually going to say something stupid. And I think there's a difference between a crappy analogy and something like "man if only the Germans would have won WWII, we'd be so much better off."

Depending on what was said, they shouldn't. Anybody who is on live enough is eventually going to say something stupid. And I think there's a difference between a crappy analogy and something like "man if only the Germans would have won WWII, we'd be so much better off."

Right. There's some things you just shouldn't say. But that fine line keeps getting more and more diluted as time goes on. It's gotten to the point where nobody speaks their mind any more and everything you hear is just scripted nonsense. Not just this instance, but everything in general.

Right. There's some things you just shouldn't say. But that fine line keeps getting more and more diluted as time goes on. It's gotten to the point where nobody speaks their mind any more and everything you hear is just scripted nonsense. Not just this instance, but everything in general.

i agree.

It was poetic license on his part, kinda like saying these 2 teams are going to/at war with each other. I understand him saying it and I understand some people getting pissed with it. However there are hundreds if not thousands of things that happen each day that are worth my time more then getting upset about this.

Very saliant point. Couldn't agree more!

It doesn't seem like people are overly offended by this. It seems more like a "well that was stupid" response from most.

Given how individuals in the past have got eaten alive via media frenzy for various comments over the years, am relieved this seems to be the case. Maclean has came to our community and many others and has always shown himself a decent caring man, giving of himself to promote and assist people, communities , issues.

Most pleased to read comments and the fairness shown. The times we live to often this not the result

Given how individuals in the past have got eaten alive via media frenzy for various comments over the years, am relieved this seems to be the case. Maclean has came to our community and many others and has always shown himself a decent caring man, giving of himself to promote and assist people, communities , issues.

Most pleased to read comments and the fairness shown. The times we live to often this not the result

It definitely matters who says it. If it was Cherry, there'd be a bit more of a lynch mob reaction to it. Then again, I don't think Cherry would ever think of making that comparison. He's always mentioning fallen soldiers on air.

It definitely matters who says it. If it was Cherry, there'd be a bit more of a lynch mob reaction to it. Then again, I don't think Cherry would ever think of making that comparison. He's always mentioning fallen soldiers on air.

didn't want to over extend this post, but Don Cherry did come out in defense of his co-worker. He mentioned Macleans military family background, his work in community ect, the unfairness of reactions. On hockey night in canada, there is certainly many who view is that Cherry has long past his time and so has Maclean, This was part of my concern that this issue would be used by such people to hasten the process regarding Maclean. Cherry of course has been a bomb ticking ,it a surprise he has endured. He being a time bomb, obviously part of his mystique,

Anyway seems issue if there was one was relatively small and appears to be defused. Maclean when he goes out should go out on positive terms.

Its also very possible Maclean being on a Canadian program most in U.S see whatever he says not of any earth shaking consequence , if he paid any attention at all.

Archived