Advice on spaghetti dinner fundraiser

SDS

For those of you who would be inclined to go to a spaghetti dinner fundraiser (this one in particulasr is for a boy scout troop), what price point do you think is reasonable that wouldn't chase you away? Spaghetti and related items are donated by a popular local restaurant (Mama Lucia's), so there may be some "value added" there.

What about kid pricing? Would you prefer takeout?

Oh man, it's been ages since I've done one of these. I'd say no more than $7 for an adult meal. Kids meal, maybe $4? And offering a takeout option is always a good choice.

As an Eagle Scout who did plenty of Spaghetti dinners and Pancake breakfasts: $8 and $5 is what we did for our last one (kids vs adults), and we offered takeout.

i'd also make white shirts and slacks mandatory. ;)

okay, just kidding. no slacks.

as far as pricing goes, the $5-8/plate is a great range. have you considered what all the meal will include? garlic bread? green beans (or whatever veggie)? salad? drink? $5-8 is a good range, but you'll reach a point where you might not make anything on the dinner. just be careful of what all you include at that price point.

have fun man! those kinds of fund-raisers are always a blast.

The prices everybody else has suggested seem fine. Personally if I can get a real meal from a fundraiser (be it spaghetti, chicken, whatever) for about the same price as a fast food meal, I'll go the real food route. In other words, $8 give or take a buck is perfect for me.

i was involved in one of those last year in the buffalo area and we charged $8. we bought our supplies from a local wholesaler, but, even with that overhead, the margins on a spag dinner are terrific.

i don't recall if we had a kids price point -- maybe we didn't and people suggested that we should have done so.

if memory serves, though, scott -- you're in northern virginia/DC? if you're in a major metro area where COL is higher, i could see asking for $9 or even $10.

For those of you who would be inclined to go to a spaghetti dinner fundraiser (this one in particulasr is for a boy scout troop), what price point do you think is reasonable that wouldn't chase you away? Spaghetti and related items are donated by a popular local restaurant (Mama Lucia's), so there may be some "value added" there.

What about kid pricing? Would you prefer takeout?

I think between $6-7 for adults and $3-4 for a kids portion. I'd offer takeout if you can get the containers donated. If not, the cost will eat into the profits.

Our committee chair thinks $10 (we are in a pretty wealthy county, but I'm not sure that is our target audience either) for adults. I think we would be better off at $8-$9. I think there is something to the "single digit" benefit of the price over a "double digit" price.

Then $6 for kids and 5 and under free/donations. Maybe a $30/family cap.

Our committee chair thinks $10 (we are in a pretty wealthy county, but I'm not sure that is our target audience either) for adults. I think we would be better off at $8-$9. I think there is something to the "single digit" benefit of the price over a "double digit" price.

We do fish frys(with pop or coffe) at our church for $8-9. Seniors love this kind of meal, and would make up a large portion of your crowd...if the price is right.

We do fish frys(with pop or coffe) at our church for $8-9. Seniors love this kind of meal, and would make up a large portion of your crowd...if the price is right.

agreed and agreed.

Those prices sound about right. As it is, food costing varies in different parts of the country. You would think that the people whom you're trying to sell to might understand this. But, no matter where you are, there will be some who are generous, and some who are stingy penny-pinchers regardless of how wealthy or poor they are.

Archived