Lindy on GR @8am, Darcy at 5PM

spndnchz

"First and foremost I don’t publicly call out very many players." (lindy ruff)

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

I'm beginning to think you have something personal against Ruff, I mean...DAMN!

He doesn't call out too many players publicly. He does once in a while, and it's usually when the media asks him about specific plays. It's not like he comes out for the pressor and specifically says: Miller played like Sh!t, and Roy effed up, and it's all Vanek's fault we couldn't score. The only really bad public callout wasn't even made by Ruff! That was Pegula!

I think he was using him as an example that there already is a potential enforcer in the system; i.e., that the team needn't acquire one through FA, draft, or trade.

I was hoping Lindy would denounce the idea of needing an enforcer. He didn't. Dinosaurs.

Would Finley play forward? I don't think his feet are fast enough to play in top 6.

I'm beginning to think you have something personal against Ruff, I mean...DAMN!

He doesn't call out too many players publicly. He does once in a while, and it's usually when the media asks him about specific plays. It's not like he comes out for the pressor and specifically says: Miller played like Sh!t, and Roy effed up, and it's all Vanek's fault we couldn't score. The only really bad public callout wasn't even made by Ruff! That was Pegula!

very selective memories floating around here. This was not a Lindy trait in 1997 but over time he started doing it more often. Now it seems common place. .maybe because i haveseen too many lindy interviews and newpaper articles .i never liked coaches that did that crap.i notice it every time it happens..now you have to suffer reading his quotes every time he does it next season because i will post them all.

very selective memories floating around here. This was not a Lindy trait in 1997 but over time he started doing it more often. Now it seems common place. .maybe because i haveseen too many lindy interviews and newpaper articles .i never liked coaches that did that crap.i notice it every time it happens..now you have to suffer reading his quotes every time he does it next season because i will post them all.

are they the Buffalo News articles? because they like to pick and choose what goes in there, and like to excerpt the exact question and his full response, so that may be leading to the strong bias. Just saying.

Just look at how they snipped everything Vanek said! When Sully wrote that opinion column, it was snippets of what Vanek said, and wasn't portraying what he was really saying.

I'm beginning to think you have something personal against Ruff, I mean...DAMN! He doesn't call out too many players publicly. He does once in a while, and it's usually when the media asks him about specific plays. It's not like he comes out for the pressor and specifically says: Miller played like Sh!t, and Roy effed up, and it's all Vanek's fault we couldn't score. The only really bad public callout wasn't even made by Ruff! That was Pegula!

Yep. Hamilton, in particular, asks very pointed questions about what a player did here or did there. Most of the time, when Ruff does answer, he doesn't do it in a demeaning way. His comments about Vanek and penalties were unusually harsh and hardly the rule. His comment about Regehr's giveaway against Filly was gratuitous, likely born out of frustration, and properly the subject of his mea culpa this morning. The guy simply does NOT come out and gratuitously rag on players in the media regularly. Nor does he gush over and over about a great play without being asked; he tends to respond to questions there, too. He's pretty damned stoic when dealing with the media.

It's a catch 22. We already lost Goose so we would need to get a good PK back guy if we lost Roy, but if we lost Vanek, then we wouldn't need to kill off so many of his lazy penalties.

Or is that the gift of the Magi?

Ah yes, Vanek - top penalty taker. :S

Could we try and keep threads on topic? This one is about Lindy's interview. If you all want to relive the Miller/Lucic inident - there are old threads you can dig up on that.

Because of this I shall not reply to anyone directly. I shall say I stand by my opinion that the intelligent thing to do was to go for Lucic not Thomas and that I believe, without doubt or question, I am right.

As I stated before, Lindy saying this is all good but something needs to happen.

I was hoping Lindy would denounce the idea of needing an enforcer. He didn't. Dinosaurs.

Would Finley play forward? I don't think his feet are fast enough to play in top 6.

Didn't Washington try to convert him to a winger and it didn't work out?

I think Darcy basically said that they want to flip the draft picks for NHL ready players. He said the draft is very skim and maybe a few players are NHL ready. Also he said goal scoring will be addressed within the team and also via trades. Don't quote me, just trying to paraphrase.

Briere was all about the money. If Pegula was the owner back then he'd still be here.

I don't know if this is your opinion or not, as this is my first visit back to the board in awhile, but Briere became about the money after Reiger completely undervalued him, just as he did with Dumont. Darcy can hide behind bad ownership but he made some bad decisions based strictly on hockey values. Peca, Briere and Dumont could have all been kept despite bad ownership if Darcy understood their importance behind the stat line.

...change in coaching or systematic change.

EDIT: nevermind, I believe you are saying systematic, and when I first read it, I read it as he is arguing for there to be a new coach...correct me if I'm wrong though.

No, that's exactly how i interpreted it. Didn't he ask Darcy to fire him 2 years ago?

I think Darcy basically said that they want to flip the draft picks for NHL ready players. He said the draft is very skim and maybe a few players are NHL ready. Also he said goal scoring will be addressed within the team and also via trades. Don't quote me, just trying to paraphrase.

I only got to listen to a few minutes of the interview, but 1 thing interesting stuck out to me. When talking about centers and how DR would like to upgrade the position, he had previously mentioned that Leino is and likely will stay a winger on this team, he talked about Ennis, Hodgson, and having dealt Gaustad, but interestingly Roy wasn't mentioned.

Which reinforces the previous comments that implied he had been trying to get rid of Roy. I don't see Roy back in a Sabres' sweater next season.

are they the Buffalo News articles? because they like to pick and choose what goes in there, and like to excerpt the exact question and his full response, so that may be leading to the strong bias. Just saying.

Just look at how they snipped everything Vanek said! When Sully wrote that opinion column, it was snippets of what Vanek said, and wasn't portraying what he was really saying.

Eleven has my peave pretty much correct. it is generally in response to a question, but some statements are just gratuitous hits. A polished coach when asked about bad a goal would say our d needs to do x and y. Lindy will say Miller will needs to be better. Or Leino should have never tried to make that blind pass, or Mags keeps getting caught deep..or Myers needs to rememeber where he needs to be on that play etc etc etc .. Listen to other coaches. the good ones do not got there, they deflect .Ruff bites more than he should and he was a player and should know better. second: you never scream at guys on the bench. thats for the coaches office..i am done

I just hope that the talk of toughness and size doesn't result in a McGrattan type and nothing else. I am thoroughly convinced that top 6 toughness is needed more than thug toughness right now.

Granted, I'll take the thug in the lineup too. :P

Bingo! They need someone who can play AND take care of business. Igia would be a nice start but someone bigger would be better. Not sure how you get those players as lots of teams need those types of player.

The Canucks are in the same boat. Nobody big and tough can play, hence Kassian parked.

I don't know if this is your opinion or not, as this is my first visit back to the board in awhile, but Briere became about the money after Reiger completely undervalued him, just as he did with Dumont. Darcy can hide behind bad ownership but he made some bad decisions based strictly on hockey values. Peca, Briere and Dumont could have all been kept despite bad ownership if Darcy understood their importance behind the stat line.

Chz is giving a shorthand recap of Darcy's implication in the WGR interview that if Pegula were the owner in July 2007 or even during Briere's arbitration hearing of the summer 2006 he would likely have been extended. He didn't say it directly, but it was pretty clear this was what he was saying.

Eleven has my peave pretty much correct. it is generally in response to a question, but some statements are just gratuitous hits. A polished coach when asked about bad a goal would say our d needs to do x and y. Lindy will say Miller will needs to be better. Or Leino should have never tried to make that blind pass, or Mags keeps getting caught deep..or Myers needs to rememeber where he needs to be on that play etc etc etc .. Listen to other coaches. the good ones do not got there, they deflect .Ruff bites more than he should and he was a player and should know better. second: you never scream at guys on the bench. thats for the coaches office..i am done

Plenty of coaches make comments like these to the public. You're just not watching enough post-games.

:w00t:

Two years in a row he's pulled a good season out of his ass at the end of the year when all hope was essentially lost. The year before he had almost as many points in a full season as he did in half a season his first year as a Sabre (when he was riding the coattails of a Presidents Trophy team that could score at will).

He starts slow every year and when he does get his head out of his ass it doesn't even matter. Nothing to show me next year won't be more of the same.

Two years in a row he's pulled a good season out of his ass at the end of the year when all hope was essentially lost. The year before he had almost as many points in a full season as he did in half a season his first year as a Sabre (when he was riding the coattails of a Presidents Trophy team that could score at will).

He starts slow every year and when he does get his head out of his ass it doesn't even matter. Nothing to show me next year won't be more of the same.

An issue that I have with Stafford that I'm not sure is fixable comes from a quote from last year. When asked if he thinks he needed to play a more physical game he answered with something like: "we have other guys who do that".

Stafford is most effective when he uses his size and plays with an edge. If he doesn't intrinsically understand that then it's unlikely he will ever play that way consistently. I'd be wary of Chris Stewart and Dustin Penner for the same reason.

TW, this isn't correct, at least with respect to Briere and Peca.

Peca did want more than his worth, and would not budge. This ultimately hurt him, and the team, too.

Briere was a Quinn decision and not a Regier decision. Regier is at fault for not fighting for DB, and Ruff wanted him back badly. Regier chose not to pick the fight he should have picked.

Archived