Lindy on GR @8am, Darcy at 5PM

spndnchz

It really is that simple.

Who cares? It's not about winning or losing a fight. It's about showing up.

Even RJ at the time said you have to remind the other team that they have a goalie, too. Thomas should have been run.

Absolutely. You need to have a make up as a team that would make a Lucic think twice about running your goalie. If he runs him anyway then you need to have the make up as a team to respond in kind without delay. Frankly, the Sabres have not had that team for quite some time. It sounds like everyone from Pegula on down recognizes that needs to change. Let's see if something is finally done about it.

Absolutely. You need to have a make up as a team that would make a Lucic think twice about running your goalie. If he runs him anyway then you need to have the make up as a team to respond in kind without delay. Frankly, the Sabres have not had that team for quite some time. It sounds like everyone from Pegula on down recognizes that needs to change. Let's see if something is finally done about it.

We have enough skill but we could do with losing players like Boyes, Hecht, Stafford and Roy for tougher versions. I think having Finley up wouldn't hurt too much but I realise we have a huge amount of depth at defense. I just dont want to lose too much of the skill.

One thing I noticed was that he said that every year, there is a slump and that he has to handle those A LOT better. You cannot avoid some of the smaller slumps but he said he needs to be better at getting them out sooner (start of 2010 and mid season 2011). The Dr. Seuss book Oh The Places You go comes to mind - "unslumping yourself is not easily done"....

• He attributed Roy's lockerroom cleanout comments to the emotion of a prematurely ending season
  • The reaction was also directly related to the comments Ruff made in Philly.
  • He liked the fact players were upset and reacted emotionally
  • he regretted mentioning Regehr by name. He spoke with Robyn about it.
  • Ruff doesn't think he typically calls out players specifically by name too often
  • He isn't worried about his relationship with the players
  • With Vanek, his only concern was in regards to penalties committed out of frustration, which he praised Thomas for correcting
  • He agreeg and reiterated Ted Black's comments that the team needs to get tougher and harder
  • Cited Marcus Foligno and Corey Tropp as the type of players that fit the profile
  • He actually mentioned Joe Finley in direct response to a caller asking if an enforcer would have inhibited Lucic running Miller--- I wish there were a followup Q from Simon/White about Finley but there wasn't
  • Regarding moving the "Core" he said it's "obviously its a discussion we will have"
  • Didn't move Ennis to Center earlier because he was worried about defense

Thanks for that!! Greatly appreciated.

Tell you what ..i will take the time to go back through just the last year of interviews and articles to quote our hero every time he throws a player under the bus. Things like Miller needs to be better, I am at the end of my rope with Vanek., Myers needs to know where he is supposed to be on that play etc etc etc.. Do you want to bet dinner for four at Nobu in NYC that there are less than ten quotes i can find this year alone ?

I think he was trying to say that it isn't rare Lindy throws himself under the bus (and not denying he throws others under there too)...maybe not

The ONLY appropriate response to the Lucic run on Miller was to IMMEDIATELY go after Lucic with the players ALREADY on the ice AT THE TIME. It didn't matter if Gaustad, Sekera, or WHOMEVER else was out there got their ass royally kicked by Lucic as a result. Those five guys FAILED MISERABLY in their response. It broke the code. They had ONE chance to respond the right way, the HOCKEY way, and they missed it. It was an affront to the Hockey Gods. They knew it, we knew it, and the entire hockey community knew it as well.

Running Thomas would have been a chicken-sh*t response that would have resulted in multiple suspensions and it would have done NOTHING to dissuade Lucic or anyone else for that matter, from taking liberties in the future. It just would have further underscored the reason Lucic was able to get away with the hit on Miller in the first place.

GO SABRES!!!

Didn't want to start a new thread for this, but might.

Seems to me after listening to Lindy that either Vanek or Roy won't be here next year.

Who would you choose to stay? I'll take Vanek.

I haven't heard the interview so I really appreciate the update. It would have to be Vanek that stays, IMHO.

GO SABRES!!!

After hearing Roys comments,reading the press reports and listening to the tact and tone he took in this interview my guess is that there may be more than a few upper tier guys that will be trying to escape. What does Miller do? I also wonder how many players who are at or near the end of their contracts next year they can resign,. What does Cody, Ennis, Regehr etc do? .Do guys sign when managment makes an attempt to resign them or do they play out their current contract string. A very interesting off season ahead. I hope this this does not turn into a rebuilding from ground zero scenerio because that takes years. this team was only four or five key players away.Those who think that certain players are easily replaceable are misinformed.

I think he was trying to say that it isn't rare Lindy throws himself under the bus (and not denying he throws others under there too)...maybe not

I deleted my response .you picked it up just before i did. it just was not worth it...

This is only my opinion. The Sabres season ended with the Lucic hit on Miller period. Some teams fought througt injuries and still made the playoffs ie. Pittsburgh. I found it very hard to watch this team and not feel embarrassed and utter contempt for the lack of response and I have to believe that all our players as men felt like cowards. if they didnt then they are not real men.

The joke that Gaustad staged as a response in the next Boston game was even more of an embarassment and I for one am glad his pussified _ss is gone.

It wasnt till the next Boston game at home, when Kaleta went after Lucic, even though he lost the fight, he won the victory. After that game they started to play with some pride again.

Bottom line If we are ever going to win the Cup. we have to have players that hold each other accountable for actions or lack of, in the moment not after the fact. I see some of that accountability In players like Foligno,Ennis,Gerbe and Tropp. Keep getting rid of the cancers on the team and we may just see a Stanley Cup in the next couple of years.

Thats so stupid I'm lost for words. We would have been fined and suspended through the nose, especially with Thomas being a poster boy for the NHL at the moment. Not to mention the Bruins would have beaten our team half to death.

Anyway, glad to hear it but it is only words and it is the same rhetoric we've heard for a while.

Yes it's stupid.

In fact the only thing even more stupid is letting your 6 mill. dollar goalie get run, and stand around and watch afterwards.

Teams take liberties like that, you simply have to respond, regardless of the result.

Jordin Tootoo tried taking out Miller his first game back.

I doubt he would've tried that had the Sabres responded against the Bruins.

It's so simple, it's stupid.

Yep, the lesson is learnt and the situation is in the past. Lets look to making sure we make sure it stays learnt. As fans we can make sure the Bruins and Sabres know this is not to happen again, learn from the Winnipeg home reputation. Well you can I'm in the wrong country. :D

Is it?

It should've been learnt when Gomez took out Miller 2 years ago.

Apparently, it wasn't, and I have no doubt someone will test the waters on hitting Miller early next season too.

After hearing Roys comments,reading the press reports and listening to the tact and tone he took in this interview my guess is that there may be more than a few upper tier guys that will be trying to escape. What does Miller do? I also wonder how many players who are at or near the end of their contracts next year they can resign,. What does Cody, Ennis, Regehr etc do? .Do guys sign when managment makes an attempt to resign them or do they play out their current contract string.A very interesting off season ahead. I hope this is not a rebuilding from ground zero exercise because that takes years. this team was only four or five key players away.

What are you getting at here?

IMO, from listening to Roy, along with all the other exit interviews, Roy was the only one asking for the door to hit him on the way out.

Seems to me after listening to Lindy that either Vanek or Roy won't be here next year.

It's a catch 22. We already lost Goose so we would need to get a good PK back guy if we lost Roy, but if we lost Vanek, then we wouldn't need to kill off so many of his lazy penalties.

Or is that the gift of the Magi?

This is only my opinion. The Sabres season ended with the Lucic hit on Miller period. Some teams fought througt injuries and still made the playoffs ie. Pittsburgh. I found it very hard to watch this team and not feel embarrassed and utter contempt for the lack of response and I have to believe that all our players as men felt like cowards. if they didnt then they are not real men.

The joke that Gaustad staged as a response in the next Boston game was even more of an embarassment and I for one am glad his pussified _ss is gone.

It wasnt till the next Boston game at home, when Kaleta went after Lucic, even though he lost the fight, he won the victory. After that game they started to play with some pride again.

Bottom line If we are ever going to win the Cup. we have to have players that hold each other accountable for actions or lack of, in the moment not after the fact. I see some of that accountability In players like Foligno,Ennis,Gerbe and Tropp. Keep getting rid of the cancers on the team and we may just see a Stanley Cup in the next couple of years.

It was Goose that fought Lucic.

What are you getting at here?

IMO, from listening to Roy, along with all the other exit interviews, Roy was the only one asking for the door to hit him on the way out.

I think this may be a year of more change than we expect. It is just the gut instinct ? I would not be surprised to see four or five 4mill plus guys go in addition to Hecht and Boyes.That would make a number of "fans" happy until they have to live through a five or six year rebuilding process and then realize you are not going to get an elite player to come here willingly. But they will all be happy with all that cap room.

We've had success in the past running a goalie in response to our goalie getting run. I don't prefer it, but it's happened succesffuly.

Bob Probert ran over Tom Barasso twice in one game at Joe Louis Arena. Much like the Lucic incident, who did we have on our team that was going to dissuade Probert from doing it again? The response.. Kevin Maguire returns the favor to Patrick Stefan. Chaos ensued, but Barasso wasn't touched again by a Red Wing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj14Yh1GDpg

The most interesting thing to me was Ruff saying that trading Gaustad forced a new perspective and new lines. That new perspective resulted in better play. In other words, "my shortsighted, stubborn behavior caused me to not pursue other avenues."

He pretty much argued for a change in coaching.

I think this may be a year of more change than we expect. It is just the gut instinct ? I would not be surprised to see four or five 4mill plus guys go.

4 or 5? I've got Roy, Boyes, possibly Hecht (actually less than 4MM) coming off the books. Who else am I missing? Sekera could be packaged in a trade with Roy, so I guess there's another 4.

The most interesting thing to me was Ruff saying that trading Gaustad forced a new perspective and new lines. That new perspective resulted in better play. In other words, "my shortsighted, stubborn behavior caused me to not pursue other avenues."

He pretty much argued for a change in coaching.

change in coaching or systematic change.

EDIT: nevermind, I believe you are saying systematic, and when I first read it, I read it as he is arguing for there to be a new coach...correct me if I'm wrong though.

4 or 5? I've got Roy, Boyes, possibly Hecht (actually less than 4MM) coming off the books. Who else am I missing? Sekera could be packaged in a trade with Roy, so I guess there's another 4.

change in coaching or systematic change.

EDIT: nevermind, I believe you are saying systematic, and when I first read it, I read it as he is arguing for there to be a new coach...correct me if I'm wrong though.

I did not have Boyes and Hecht, in mind when i said that. I assumed they were already gone.The 4 + guys are Miller, Roy, Vanek, Regher,Pom, Stafford, Leino.. Then there is the list of other guys they have to deal with,offer wise, next year.Foremost on that list is Regher and Ennis.

Roy definitely needs to go. Hes one of the cancers and I'm not so sure that Vaneks not one also. Does it drive anyone else nut to watch Vanek when hes in one of his annual slumps his reactions to his missed oppurtunities. head shaking,eye rolling, swearing out loud so me know at home that he's upset with himself. I don't give a s__t if your upset with yourself. I just want you to put the F__king puck in the net when you so have the oppurtunity. His pity parties on the bench tell everyone watching and his teammates, Hey don"t expect much from Thomas right now he's in a rut.

It was Goose that fought Lucic.

Yes he dropped the gloves, but it looked like a half hearted,I'm trying to save face effort, not a Lucic you son of a bitch, don't ever try that again with my Goalie type of fight.

I did not have Boyes and Hecht, in mind when i said that. I assumed they were already gone.The 4 + guys are Miller, Roy, Vanek, Regher,Pom, Stafford, Leino.. Then there is the list of other guys they have to deal with,offer wise, next year.Foremost on that list is Regher and Ennis.

You're talking this year? Regehr is signed thru next year, and why would we get rid of him. He does his job just fine. I'd rather get rid of Weber for Mcnabb, and keep Regehr for his veteran presence. Leino we won't be getting rid of anytime soon IMO. There's no one that is going to overvalue him in a trade, and we aren't going to just bury his contract, as that would make management look like they have no idea what they are doing. I don't see Pom going anywhere yet, but who knows. Ennis will be getting a payraise this year.

I really have no idea how to approach the others.

You're talking this year? Regehr is signed thru next year, and why would we get rid of him. He does his job just fine. I'd rather get rid of Weber for Mcnabb, and keep Regehr for his veteran presence. Leino we won't be getting rid of anytime soon IMO. There's no one that is going to overvalue him in a trade, and we aren't going to just bury his contract, as that would make management look like they have no idea what they are doing. I don't see Pom going anywhere yet, but who knows. Ennis will be getting a payraise this year.

I really have no idea how to approach the others.

Vanek is signed next year too, as is roy, and Stafford and Leino etc.. Hypothectically what if they send a subtle signal to management they want out or do not intend to resign . If you are managment that translates only one way. Does Ennis want to stay on? Can he go almost anywhere he wants at what ever the sabres will offer? So many unanswered questions.If the team is rebuilding from scratch does Cody sign..This is all so interesting..

If management has any style,after announcing their decision on GM and coaching, they would ask the senior players one on one if they want to stay or go. If a player wants out you try to make the price fair to any interested parties and then fullfill their wish. Unhappy players are not good to have around. Remember Washington? You , management, have made your decision now let them make theirs. All one needs to do is ask. Would you not like to be a fly on that wall?

Vanek is signed next year too, as is roy, and Stafford and Leino etc.. Hypothectically what if they send a subtle signal to management they want out or do not intend to resign . If you are managment that translates only one way. Does Ennis want to stay on? Can he go almost anywhere he wants at what ever the sabres will offer? So many unanswered questions.If the team is rebuilding from scratch does Cody sign..This is all so interesting..

If managment has any style,after announcing their decision on GM and coaching, they would ask the senior players one on one if they want to stay or go. If a player wants out you try to fullfill his wishes. Unhappy players are not good to have around. Remember Washington?

To me, just asking the senior players if they want to stay or go sounds absolutely absurd. You have to build around what you have, get rid of the dead weight, whether they want to go or not, and bring in better pieces.

The situation in Washington was much different imo. Ruff has some backing from some players, where as BB had none, or so it seemed.

Archived