Lindy on GR @8am, Darcy at 5PM

spndnchz

Any updates on key points discussed?

• He attributed Roy's lockerroom cleanout comments to the emotion of a prematurely ending season
  • The reaction was also directly related to the comments Ruff made in Philly.
  • He liked the fact players were upset and reacted emotionally
  • he regretted mentioning Regehr by name. He spoke with Robyn about it.
  • Ruff doesn't think he typically calls out players specifically by name too often
  • He isn't worried about his relationship with the players
  • With Vanek, his only concern was in regards to penalties committed out of frustration, which he praised Thomas for correcting
  • He agreeg and reiterated Ted Black's comments that the team needs to get tougher and harder
  • Cited Marcus Foligno and Corey Tropp as the type of players that fit the profile
  • He actually mentioned Joe Finley in direct response to a caller asking if an enforcer would have inhibited Lucic running Miller--- I wish there were a followup Q from Simon/White about Finley but there wasn't
  • Regarding moving the "Core" he said it's "obviously its a discussion we will have"
  • Didn't move Ennis to Center earlier because he was worried about defense

so, first black goes on GR, and now the coach and GM ... all in lieu of a post-season presser.

local media types must have their underwear all in a wad.

and i don't know that i blame them. i am also not sure that i like the idea of a team controlling/dictating the way it interacts with the media ... but, then again, GR is allowing everyday fans to call in and pose questions.

whatever. i'm far more concerned with the product on the ice than i am with matters like this.

I'll second Punch's takeaways.

He also put much of the blame for missing the playoffs on himself. He said it definitely was a step back.

Towards the end he said he was going to go back and look at their struggles and see what coach/team meetings were held, what adjustments were made, etc. to do better next year.

• He attributed Roy's lockerroom cleanout comments to the emotion of a prematurely ending season
  • The reaction was also directly related to the comments Ruff made in Philly.
  • He liked the fact players were upset and reacted emotionally
  • he regretted mentioning Regehr by name. He spoke with Robyn about it.
  • Ruff doesn't think he typically calls out players specifically by name too often
  • He isn't worried about his relationship with the players
  • With Vanek, his only concern was in regards to penalties committed out of frustration, which he praised Thomas for correcting
  • He agreeg and reiterated Ted Black's comments that the team needs to get tougher and harder
  • Cited Marcus Foligno and Corey Tropp as the type of players that fit the profile
  • He actually mentioned Joe Finley in direct response to a caller asking if an enforcer would have inhibited Lucic running Miller--- I wish there were a followup Q from Simon/White about Finley but there wasn't
  • Regarding moving the "Core" he said it's "obviously its a discussion we will have"
  • Didn't move Ennis to Center earlier because he was worried about defense

A team response to the Lucic debacle would have been nice but its water under the bridge now. They responded how they could considering how they're built. It appears it will bring about change which is all I can ask for. Seeing the playoffs and how that is trending I think we need to get bigger and tougher to even survive the postseason.

Finley would have been Lucic's bitch

To go after Lucic though, is a waste of time.

Someone does that to your goaltender, you put theirs through the end boards on the next shift.

Done.

I really only got the impression that the caller's question about the Lucic incident brought up the idea that there was clearly a hole in the roster for that type of role player, not necessarily that Finley could have handled Lucic at the time. Also, the idea that the presence of big players willing to fight on a team's roster does theoreticaly inhibit the recklessness and liberties taken by Lucic and others.

I definitely agree, I would've liked the response to that incident to include a distinct crosschecking motion in the area of Tim Thomas' face :angel:

Towards the end he said he was going to go back and look at their struggles and see what coach/team meetings were held, what adjustments were made, etc. to do better next year.

Interesting, I missed that bit--- Paul Hamilton has stated before that Lindy has done self evaluations in the past and willingly changed his approach when a change was needed. It'll be interesting to see what comes of it, and hopefully the WGR guys will followup on it.

Someone does that to your goaltender, you put theirs through the end boards on the next shift.

Done.

Thats so stupid I'm lost for words. We would have been fined and suspended through the nose, especially with Thomas being a poster boy for the NHL at the moment. Not to mention the Bruins would have beaten our team half to death.

Anyway, glad to hear it but it is only words and it is the same rhetoric we've heard for a while.

I really only got the impression that the caller's question about the Lucic incident brought up the idea that there was clearly a hole in the roster for that type of role player, not necessarily that Finley could have handled Lucic at the time. Also, the idea that the presence of big players willing to fight on a team's roster does theoreticaly inhibit the recklessness and liberties taken by Lucic and others. I definitely agree, I would've liked the response to that incident to include a distinct crosschecking motion in the area of Tim Thomas' face :angel: Interesting, I missed that bit--- Paul Hamilton has stated before that Lindy has done self evaluations in the past and willingly changed his approach when a change was needed. It'll be interesting to see what comes of it, and hopefully the WGR guys will followup on it.

The caller's question was whether having an enforcer on the roster would be a deterrent in the first instance; he said that he didn't think Lucic would make that hit if McGrattan was on our bench.

The caller's question was whether having an enforcer on the roster would be a deterrent in the first instance; he said that he didn't think Lucic would make that hit if McGrattan was on our bench.

I'm not sure where that logic comes from, very interesting he thought that though.

Done.

It really is that simple.

Thats so stupid I'm lost for words. We would have been fined and suspended through the nose, especially with Thomas being a poster boy for the NHL at the moment. Not to mention the Bruins would have beaten our team half to death.

Anyway, glad to hear it but it is only words and it is the same rhetoric we've heard for a while.

Who cares? It's not about winning or losing a fight. It's about showing up.

Even RJ at the time said you have to remind the other team that they have a goalie, too. Thomas should have been run.

It really is that simple.

Who cares? It's not about winning or losing a fight. It's about showing up.

Even RJ at the time said you have to remind the other team that they have a goalie, too. Thomas should have been run.

While yes, you gotta show that you wont back down running Thomas is the single stupidest thing we could have done. Its about winning. We do what it takes to win, THAT is the priority. Having half our team suspended doesn't sound like a good start to me.

Plus Shanahan would have had a field day with us, the league would pin us as a shame to the league and we'd be considered in the same light as Sean Avery. Acting like an idiotic thug should be a thing of the past in the NHL.

The NHL missed the boat on the suspension massively and we should have been mentally tougher and far more physical but we weren't, screw what we should have done the team stopped believing in themselves. If you think smashing Thomas would have fixed that or made us seem 'not to be messed around with' I would say you are rather wrong.

While yes, you gotta show that you wont back down running Thomas is the single stupidest thing we could have done. Its about winning. We do what it takes to win, THAT is the priority.

Plus Shanahan would have had a field day with us, the league would pin us as a shame to the league and we'd be considered in the same light as Sean Avery. Acting like an idiotic thug should be a thing of the past in the NHL.

That actually describes the Bruins' mentality--- which is exactly why Lucic ran Miller.

I'm not concerned with Shanahan pinning us as "the shame of the league". The rest of the NHL did exactly that because we had no response to the incident, which was infinitely more damaging.

That actually describes the Bruins' mentality--- which is exactly why Lucic ran Miller.

I'm not concerned with Shanahan pinning us as "the shame of the league". The rest of the NHL did exactly that because we had no response to the incident, which was infinitely more damaging.

We had no response on or off the ice, to busy acting like victims. BTW, technically Lucic didn't make an effort to stop, Tootoo actively ran Miller and got pummeled for his trouble.

EDIT: that really doesnt matter, we didn't act right, our 'tough guys' were injured and we step believed the hype. I would bet money thats a lesson learnt.

Yeah, if we had McGrattan. I think adding Finley to the conversation was more about a role being developed for him in that vein, not that he could have fought Lucic or that his presence on the bench would have served as an inhibitor at the time. In the future, perhaps yes, which is why I was interested in hearing a followup about him.

We had no response on or off the ice, to busy acting like victims. BTW, technically Lucic didn't make an effort to stop, Tootoo actively ran Miller and got pummeled for his trouble.

I'm not sure where you're going--- Tootoo actively running Miller in his first game back was directly caused by the Sabres not responding to the Bruins.

Lucic not making an effort to stop is the same as actively running him--- the intent was unambigous and aggressive.

Whats this in reference to? Not sure I know the incident.

Following the game in Philly, Lindy made a specific reference in his postgame interview to Robyn Regehr getting beat at the blueline by Matt Read on the go-ahead goal in the 3rd period. He regretted that he may have made it sound like the season came down to that single play when there were probably hundreds of plays that were equally responsible for being eliminated.

Yeah, if we had McGrattan. I think adding Finley to the conversation was more about a role being developed for him in that vein, not that he could have fought Lucic or that his presence on the bench would have served as an inhibitor at the time. In the future, perhaps yes, which is why I was interested in hearing a followup about him.

I'm not sure where you're going--- Tootoo actively running Miller in his first game back was directly caused by the Sabres not responding to the Bruins.

Lucic not making an effort to stop is the same as actively running him--- the intent was unambigous and aggressive.

Yep, the lesson is learnt and the situation is in the past. Lets look to making sure we make sure it stays learnt. As fans we can make sure the Bruins and Sabres know this is not to happen again, learn from the Winnipeg home reputation. Well you can I'm in the wrong country. :D

Following the game in Philly, Lindy made a specific reference in his postgame interview to Robyn Regehr getting beat at the blueline by Matt Read on the go-ahead goal in the 3rd period. He regretted that he may have made it sound like the season came down to that single play when there were probably hundreds of plays that were equally responsible for being eliminated.

Ah yes I remember. Regrettable indeed.

I just hope that the talk of toughness and size doesn't result in a McGrattan type and nothing else. I am thoroughly convinced that top 6 toughness is needed more than thug toughness right now.

Granted, I'll take the thug in the lineup too. :P

Archived