Enroth Disappointed

Jhonas wasn't able to win games, Miller was stealing them for us. I'd be pissed as well but as lousy as Ruff is with goalies in this case I can't say i'd have done different. He should have tried being Brodeurs backup for the last 10 years, then bitch.

They need to get him in for 30 games, even if they want to ride miller a lot. Enroth showed us he is a good goalie. I think he is the only backup in the last 3 years the sabres trust in net

except Enroth didn't show he could steal games, which is what Miller did down the stretch. I am one of the proponents that Lindy handles the goalie situation like crap, but the way Enroth was playing vs the way Miller was playing in the second half of the season, I can't blame Lindy for riding Miller.

I'd be pissed too. Nobody in the NHL handles their backup goalie worse than Lindy. He couldn't find a spot for Jhonas once over the last half of the season?

I wonder how the backups to guys like Rinne, Hiller and, Kiprusoff felt? They each played 70+ games. And then there's Jonathan Bernier in LA who is supposed to be one of the bigger goalie prospects out there. He only had 6 starts in 2012 just like Enroth. There are plenty of coaches out there who like to ride one goalie. It's hardly just a Ruff thing.

You can excuse Ruff for riding Miller the way he did in 2012 — unfortunate circumstances called for it.

But Enroth is not Patrick Lalime. He should be playing once a week, not once a month.

And near the begining of the season he was, but when the team dug itself that huge hole, they were forced to ride their #1 goalie and not worrying that their rookie backup might have his feelings hurt that he wasn't getting fair playing time.

except Enroth didn't show he could steal games, which is what Miller did down the stretch. I am one of the proponents that Lindy handles the goalie situation like crap, but the way Enroth was playing vs the way Miller was playing in the second half of the season, I can't blame Lindy for riding Miller.

How can you steal games when you go in 2-3 month spurts without a game played? If enroth played 70 games a year like miller, I bet there could be games he could steal. And when enroth went in for miller after the concussion, that's when the team went downhill and were scoring a goal a game. Can't steal games when you get 40 shots a night on your goalie and your team only gets in the 20s for shots.

And near the begining of the season he was, but when the team dug itself that huge hole, they were forced to ride their #1 goalie and not worrying that their rookie backup might have his feelings hurt that he wasn't getting fair playing time.

So waiting a month, and then playing him against one of the top offensive teams in the league was a good idea? Who knew?

22 starts is sufficient for a backup. 8 wins in 22 starts is not.

At the start of the season, I wanted him starting one out of every four games (20-21 starts), and it was relatively close to that schedule until Miller was hurt and Enroth had to take over. That's where Enroth had the opportunity to prove himself and failed.

I don't like the way Ruff manages backup goalies, but Enroth had plenty of opportunity to earn more starts this year, and didn't.

At the start of the season, I wanted him starting one out of every four games (20-21 starts), and it was relatively close to that schedule until Miller was hurt and Enroth had to take over. That's where Enroth had the opportunity to prove himself and failed.

I don't like the way Ruff manages backup goalies, but Enroth had plenty of opportunity to earn more starts this year, and didn't.

Enroth maybe could have earned more time after Miller came back and was struggling....but let's be completely honest, with the team rapidly falling out of playoff contention and needing a late season push, would you have predicted Ruff would do anything other than ride Miller into the ground?

exactly. I think a lot of us at the beginning of the year said the same thing: 1/4 starts.

How can you steal games when you go in 2-3 month spurts without a game played? If enroth played 70 games a year like miller, I bet there could be games he could steal. And when enroth went in for miller after the concussion, that's when the team went downhill and were scoring a goal a game. Can't steal games when you get 40 shots a night on your goalie and your team only gets in the 20s for shots.

That's kind of the definition of stealing a game. Look at the games Miller stole on the West Coast, and look at the shot differences there, or in MTL, or a number of other games. Miller faced the same shot differentials down the road as Enroth, but he came out on top. The whole point of a backup goalie is to be inserted about every 4th game (IMO), and be able to perform up to expectations. After November, Ruff started off maintaining the schedule, but when Enroth couldn't steal games when the offense was crap, and Miller did, that's when Ruff started riding Miller, and I can't blame him.

I still think Enroth got a bit of a raw deal, he would face 40+ shots per start, let in two and still lose because they could only muster one goal. You'd like to see him "steal" some of those games but a goalie shouldn't have to get a 45 save shutout every time to win a game either, the rest of the team has to do something too.

Enroth maybe could have earned more time after Miller came back and was struggling....but let's be completely honest, with the team rapidly falling out of playoff contention and needing a late season push, would you have predicted Ruff would do anything other than ride Miller into the ground?

I think he was forced to start Miller during the last three months because of Enroth's play during the first three, and I don't think he rode Miller into the ground, either.

Wow, stats really can tell whatever story one wants to them to tell.

I still think Enroth got a bit of a raw deal, he would face 40+ shots per start, let in two and still lose because they could only muster one goal. You'd like to see him "steal" some of those games but a goalie shouldn't have to get a 45 save shutout every time to win a game either, the rest of the team has to do something too.

This is reasonable.

Question to OP: Does the title of this topic use "disappointed" as an adjective or as a verb?

http://www.buffalone...ticle808345.ece

"I think I played three games in the last three months or something like that, so it's obviously nothing I want to do again," -Enroth

Immediately following the above excerpted quote Enroth says:

• "Hopefully, next year I can be a little more sharp when I get the chance and earn a couple more games. It's a tough stretch, and it's tough to play when you almost never play. It's definitely tough."

The article also quotes Enroth as saying:

• "I was hoping for 30 games this year, but almost," Enroth said. "Ryan was playing really well down the stretch there the last couple of months, so I guess you can't really bench Miller when he was playing that well."

and

• "I guess where I a little bit lost the season was when we started to have a lot of injuries on the team," he said. "That's probably where I started losing my confidence a little bit, but I think I had a bunch of good games after that, too. I didn't really come away with the wins in those games, but I had a bunch of really good games. It's too bad I couldn't get a couple more wins."

I get the impression that Enroth understands why he played less and feels that his play is at the very least partially responsible. Hopefully, the trend doesn't continue. I'd love to see him get 30 games.

If this team had played better this season, Enroth would have started more. He didn't get the starts because we couldn't afford to give him starts.

Playing Enroth more down the stretch would have amounted to admitting that making the playoffs wasn't the number 1 priority.

I guess I have a higher opinion of Enroth, and maybe a lower opinion of Miller than most others. I don't think that it's admitting defeat to start Enroth. In fact, Miller NEEDS more rest than most starting goalies. If Ruff were to keep Enroth "in the rotation" he would be getting the best out of both goalies, imo.

I guess I have a higher opinion of Enroth, and maybe a lower opinion of Miller than most others. I don't think that it's admitting defeat to start Enroth. In fact, Miller NEEDS more rest than most starting goalies. If Ruff were to keep Enroth "in the rotation" he would be getting the best out of both goalies, imo.

I have no problem with Miller playing 60 games.

You can't say Enroth didn't have a fair chance. No wins in 11 straight starts didn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence.

Jhonas wasn't able to win games, Miller was stealing them for us. I'd be pissed as well but as lousy as Ruff is with goalies in this case I can't say i'd have done different. He should have tried being Brodeurs backup for the last 10 years, then bitch.

Dec 31 vs OTT he had 44 saves on 46 shots. Overtime Loss

Jan 07 vs WPG he had 39 saves on 41 shots. Overtime Loss

Jan 14 vs NYI he have 36 saves on 39 shots

Jan 16 vs DET he replaced Miller and saved 12 of the 12 shots he faced

Jan 18 vs CHI he was awful 29 saves on 35 shots

Feb 16 vs PHI again, awful 15 saves on 18 shots. Replaced by Miller

Mar 8 vs BOS saves 25 of 28 shots

Apr 7 vs BOS saves 37 of 40 shots. Overtime Loss

Enroth wasn't to win games because the offense and defense were unable to score. With the exception of he game again CHI and PHI, Enroth was doing his job well. Lindy has no idea how to rotate his goaltenders. 35+ saves and 40+ saves on an almost consistent basis is no easy task.

He is more than a competent backup goalie. The lack of wins isn't so much of a reflection of him.

Archived