Would you trade?

krt88

Edmonton won the NHL draft lottery and will pick first yet again. Having drafted Taylor Hall and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins in back to back drafts, What if the Oilers felt set at forward and offered the 1st pick for the 12th and Tyler Myers. Opinions on the idea? I'm not saying this is even a possibility but it certainly would be interesting. Not sure what I would want the Sabres to do but at some point Edmonton has to look at building their defense.

Edmonton won the NHL draft lottery and will pick first yet again. Having drafted Taylor Hall and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins in back to back drafts, What if the Oilers felt set at forward and offered the 1st pick for the 12th and Tyler Myers. Opinions on the idea? I'm not saying this is even a possibility but it certainly would be interesting. Not sure what I would want the Sabres to do but at some point Edmonton has to look at building their defense.

Nope, not this year. I wasn't sold on Yakupov early this year because of his size and, sure enough, he ended up missing the end of the season after getting a concussion. He'll probably be good, but I don't think he's going to be the NHL superstar that some no.1 overall picks end up being.

Now, if they were offering Hall or Nugent-Hopkins for Myers and the 12th overall pick, we'd probably have to make that deal.

Buffalo is well positioned to move up if they want to.

Don't like Yakupov?....... Filip Forsberg is a tempting prospect. Especially if he's available with NY Islanders pick. They can drop down and still get a great defensemen at 12 this year.

Buffalo is well positioned to move up if they want to.

Don't like Yakupov?....... Filip Forsberg is a tempting prospect. Especially if he's available with NY Islanders pick. They can drop down and still get a great defensemen at 12 this year.

LOVE the idea of trading up to get Forsberg.

I wouldn't trade Myers for the top pick this year, let alone throw in our pick.

If we offered Myers straight across, the Oilers would foolish not to take it.

Same here. I wouldn't trade Myers for the #1 pick and their first round pick next year either........ much less toss in #12 this year.

I wrote about a scenario in which Edmonton would trade their top pick 5 several months ago, when I envisioned Buffalo getting involved to get a shot at Grigorenko or Galyenchuk. Now that they've landed #1, I think it's even more of a possibility that Edmonton trade the pick, because they can ask a King's ransom for Yakupov and perhaps move a year ahead of schedule on their "rebuild" timeline-- but the Sabres won't be in on it.

No reason to pay that high a price for the #1 when the top prospect is one that doesn't really fit the mold of your team anymore. Like the posters above me, I would much rather have Forsberg, who will be considerably less pricey if we want to try to move up and grab him.

But as far as Edmonton is considered, I think they'd be foolish not to trade it.

I don't think Yakupov will bring, or is worth, a "king's ransom." He isn't exactly Lemieux or Crosby. (Funny how that worked for a twice-challenged team, you know?) By all accounts, he's a great player, and by most accounts, he's going #1. But I don't see him as enough of a game-changer that any team, much less the Sabs, should mortgage the future against him.

I'd be a lot higher on Yakupov if the league was being officiated like it was out of the lockout. In a wide-open game I think he'd be absolutely dynamic and a game changer. How things work now? Not as convinced, and I'm not willing to give up a ton to find out. I still think he's got a good shot of becoming a great player, maybe close to a PPG guy in the right situation, but not somebody who is going to dominate.

yeah it's funny how Buffalo has only had two #1 overall picks in its entire 42 year history. Then there's the Atlanta Thrashers and Edmonton Oilers who've had two-three #1 picks in consecutive years, not to mention the Pens. It smells funny.

yeah it's funny how Buffalo has only had two #1 overall picks in its entire 42 year history. Then there's the Atlanta Thrashers and Edmonton Oilers who've had two-three #1 picks in consecutive years, not to mention the Pens. It smells funny.

Because the NHL wants the Trashers to be good. Oh wait, we know how that turned out.

I don't believe for a second Buffalo has any plans to move up in this years draft.

I am looking at their mission statement from Pegula combined with the needs of the team.

If a trade is to be made on draft day, it won't be to get into the top 10, it will most likely be for NHL ready talent.

They could be looking at several blockbuster deals with other teams, but in no way am I of the opinion they are moving up in the draft, that just doesn't make any sense at all IMO.

I've read this is a center heavy draft. Therefore in theory the Sabres don't need to trade up to potentally have a ###### at a good centermen. However, how many are considered true #1 centers? Would moving up into the top 5 be advisable?

I heard trade for an established player, but what do we really have to offer for that? Myers is the most desired player. Should be an interesting June and July!

I've read this is a center heavy draft. Therefore in theory the Sabres don't need to trade up to potentally have a ###### at a good centermen. However, how many are considered true #1 centers? Would moving up into the top 5 be advisable?

I heard trade for an established player, but what do we really have to offer for that? Myers is the most desired player. Should be an interesting June and July!

I never heard that. In fact, someone posted a link to TSN's top 20 rankings and only 2 were in the top 20. Looks like a great year for D men if you're picking mid first round.

And we have relied on a solid defense and great goaltending for 20 years, we need Myers more right now. Also defensemen of his calibre tend to be more valuable, and more hard to get, than most other positions.

Corruption is rife in sports, I'm not saying Buffalo are 'persecuted' but I do think us, along with many teams, aren't dealt a fair hand sometimes as we're not one of the NHL's 'golden franchises'.

Smells like mediocrity to me ...

Trade Myers AND the Sabres #12 for the #1 overall pick?

No thanks. The 31 pick has yet to prove anything in the league yet, Myers has so I might think it over if it was straight up and I felt I could replace Myers play easier on the Blueline. McNabb and the #12 for the #1 maybe, or both 1sts for the #1 sure.

Now Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, or maybe even Eberle for Myers (then Edmonton can keep the 1st and draft Yakupov) I would do cause they have atleast played in the league and shown they will be good players

I wouldn't

Although its the humaine thing to do to rescue Tavares, it would be cruel and extreme punishment to Myers to send him to Long Island. What did he ever do to you to deserve that? Would they take Roy for Tavares?

I'd ask if this was a joke or not....but we are talking about Garth Snow, the man who gave Rick DiPietro a lifetime contract.

Lets say f#ck it and do this. Vanek to Edmonton for this years first and second along with next years 1st and second

Roy to Minnesoto for a 1st

Sekera to whoever needs a defensemen for a 2nd/or 3rd

finally but not least, use the extra picks to acquire Brown, trade around in the draft and take Faksa and Forseberg, acquire Stoll in FA.

Next year we have the following roster:

Forseberg - Hodgson - Brown

Foligno - Ennis - Stafford

Leino - Faksa - Pommers

Gerbe - Stoll - Kaleta

Forseberg, Brown, Stoll, Foligno, Faksa all add toughness to a team thats softer than a feather bed. O and I am well aware this is impossible because Darcy isn't this good. Enjoy ripping it apart. TTFN

Lets say f#ck it and do this. Vanek to Edmonton for this years first and second along with next years 1st and second

Roy to Minnesoto for a 1st

Sekera to whoever needs a defensemen for a 2nd/or 3rd

finally but not least, use the extra picks to acquire Brown, trade around in the draft and take Faksa and Forseberg, acquire Stoll in FA.

Next year we have the following roster:

Forseberg - Hodgson - Brown

Foligno - Ennis - Stafford

Leino - Faksa - Pommers

Gerbe - Stoll - Kaleta

Forseberg, Brown, Stoll, Foligno, Faksa all add toughness to a team thats softer than a feather bed. O and I am well aware this is impossible because Darcy isn't this good. Enjoy ripping it apart. TTFN

You think Vanek would net us two 1st's and two 2nd's or am I reading that wrong?

Archived