Would you trade?

krt88

Did the article say whether his players were on teams that actually made the playoffs or not?

Not that specific, just that his been pretty good and has improved over time. It was a stats thing and not that new but Regier hasn't done bad over the last few years in the draft so my only point was I think we won't do badly, whatever he decides to do.

Not that specific, just that his been pretty good and has improved over time. It was a stats thing and not that new but Regier hasn't done bad over the last few years in the draft so my only point was I think we won't do badly, whatever he decides to do.

So you are not going to provide a link to these articles?

Please tell DR to get some of that always available offense, or tell LR how to bring it out. For me no one is off the market, depending on what is coming back.

Giroux, Malkin, Ovi. Thats who I'd want for Myers and there is no way we'd get that. I'm not talking about a bundle either, straight up. I think the problem has been consistent offense rather than a lack of skill. We lack depth in the forward lines but depending on what we get for Roy (who I'm sure is leaving) I think our top 6 could be a huge amount worse.

I do, however, think Ruff struggles with bringing out the offense in the team, I get the feeling he relies on steady, defensively reliable play.

So you are not going to provide a link to these articles?

I knew one of you was going to ask, I cannot be bothered to find them because I have no interest in proving a point I'm not trying to make.

Read carefully: I'm happy leaving the choice to him, and I was saying that with your 'auto evaluate' post I think Regier probably wouldn't make a bad choice, I don't like the guy as GM but there are some things even I feel he does well.

The draft math isn't that far off at all...1990-1999 (same years used in the previous post), 1st overalls were: Owen Nolan, Eric Lindros, Roman Hamrlik, Alexandre Daigle, Ed Jovanovski, Bryan Berard, Chris Phillips, Joe Thornton, Vinny Lecavalier, Patrik Stefan. 7 out of 10 went well, 2 busts (Daigle, Stefan) and 1 "who knows" (Berard).

It's interesting that you chose to stop after that 10 year window. If you move forward from that date, there has only been one miss with the first overall pick, DiPietro in 2000. It's too early to judge guys like Nugent-Hopkins and Taylor Hall. So that first pick has worked incredibly well in recent years. And if you look at 2000, that was a reach pick by the idiot of all idiot GMs (yeah, the wording's a bit strong, but Milbury is a plague upon the hockey world). The next two picks, either of which should have been #1 that year have put in very strong careers, Dany Heatley and Marian Gaborik.

What we've seen in recent years, especially post-lockout is that the prime talents in the draft are miles ahead of where they used to be and typically are NHL ready right out of the gate. That first pick has increased in value and really doesn't look like as much of a roll of the dice as it once was.

It's interesting that you chose to stop after that 10 year window. If you move forward from that date, there has only been one miss with the first overall pick, DiPietro in 2000. It's too early to judge guys like Nugent-Hopkins and Taylor Hall. So that first pick has worked incredibly well in recent years. And if you look at 2000, that was a reach pick by the idiot of all idiot GMs (yeah, the wording's a bit strong, but Milbury is a plague upon the hockey world). The next two picks, either of which should have been #1 that year have put in very strong careers, Dany Heatley and Marian Gaborik.

What we've seen in recent years, especially post-lockout is that the prime talents in the draft are miles ahead of where they used to be and typically are NHL ready right out of the gate. That first pick has increased in value and really doesn't look like as much of a roll of the dice as it once was.

Bullseye. The league is getting younger, and the farm is for depth now, not stars. The cutoff moves around from draft to draft, but the first 5-15 picks are critical to getting top NHL ready talent to build a team around. It's not the only way to build a champion, but Chicago and Pittsburgh have rings because they sucked something awful at the beginning of the millennium.

You can only fit so many veteran stars under the cap. Having a couple of superstars on EL contracts can make a huge difference.

I knew one of you was going to ask, I cannot be bothered to find them because I have no interest in proving a point I'm not trying to make.

Read carefully: I'm happy leaving the choice to him, and I was saying that with your 'auto evaluate' post I think Regier probably wouldn't make a bad choice, I don't like the guy as GM but there are some things even I feel he does well.

332qz6h.jpg

:P :D

Bullseye. The league is getting younger, and the farm is for depth now, not stars. The cutoff moves around from draft to draft, but the first 5-15 picks are critical to getting top NHL ready talent to build a team around. It's not the only way to build a champion, but Chicago and Pittsburgh have rings because they sucked something awful at the beginning of the millennium.

You can only fit so many veteran stars under the cap. Having a couple of superstars on EL contracts can make a huge difference.

Both very good points, and sooo true.

I don't think it is an automatic don't do "every single time". There has to be a risk-reward discussion. I can't say that I know enough about Nail Yakupov to speak to this particular draft, but there have been plenty of draft years where I would move a Tyler Myers level young player to get into the top couple spots. Yeah there is risk of getting a Patrik Stefan, but there is also risk of getting Steven Stamkos. It depends on the evaluation of the player on the draft board. It shouldn't be an auto don't do. It should be an auto evaluate.

Pretty much this. You'd have to at least consider it if it were on the table. That being said, I'm not sold enough on Yakupov to make the move. From what I've read, Yakupov's #1 strength is his skating...he's absolutely dynamic, and might be one of the absolute best skaters in the NHL from day 1. However he doesn't have the best set of hands in the draft (that prize goes to either Galchenyuk or Grigorenko, depending on the analyst), so it's not like he's the best at everything. My primary concern would be if the league continues trending the way it is (which I genuinely hope gets reversed for next season), it will limit his effectiveness. He's not so small where his size is a hindrance, but he's not big enough to out-muscle guys on a consistent basis either. If the league officiated like it did out of the lockout, I think he'd be an absolute terror with his skating, making even pretty mobile defensemen look like pylons. But lacking elite size or hands, I don't think I'd give up a ton to move up to draft him.

Archived