Would you trade?

krt88

Vanek would net us ONE first and ONE second at most, imo. Edmonton might be a good trade partner.

Neither Forsberg, or Faksa thrill me in the first round.

So who would?

If we move up, I'd like to do it for Forsberg. If we stay at 12th, I'd be happy with Faksa, Gaunce, or Girgensons.

Lets say f#ck it and do this. Vanek to Edmonton for this years first and second along with next years 1st and second

Roy to Minnesoto for a 1st

Sekera to whoever needs a defensemen for a 2nd/or 3rd

finally but not least, use the extra picks to acquire Brown, trade around in the draft and take Faksa and Forseberg, acquire Stoll in FA.

Next year we have the following roster:

Forseberg - Hodgson - Brown

Foligno - Ennis - Stafford

Leino - Faksa - Pommers

Gerbe - Stoll - Kaleta

Forseberg, Brown, Stoll, Foligno, Faksa all add toughness to a team thats softer than a feather bed. O and I am well aware this is impossible because Darcy isn't this good. Enjoy ripping it apart. TTFN

You don't mean Dustin Brown? The Sabres don't have what it takes to get brown from LA unless you are willing to give up Myers and Ennis with those picks. His value is sky rocketing with his play down the stretch and his start in the playoffs.

For the record, I would give up Myers and Ennis for Brown. He would be our Ryan Callahan. A real Captain and an legit top line forward with size that is not afraid to use it.

Edmonton won the NHL draft lottery and will pick first yet again. Having drafted Taylor Hall and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins in back to back drafts, What if the Oilers felt set at forward and offered the 1st pick for the 12th and Tyler Myers. Opinions on the idea? I'm not saying this is even a possibility but it certainly would be interesting. Not sure what I would want the Sabres to do but at some point Edmonton has to look at building their defense.

No way. Maybe I am wrong, but I think you are WAY over valuing that pick.

Edmonton won the NHL draft lottery and will pick first yet again. Having drafted Taylor Hall and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins in back to back drafts, What if the Oilers felt set at forward and offered the 1st pick for the 12th and Tyler Myers. Opinions on the idea? I'm not saying this is even a possibility but it certainly would be interesting. Not sure what I would want the Sabres to do but at some point Edmonton has to look at building their defense.

I would not have traded Myers for Getzlaf and there is no way I would trade him for some draft picks.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple things we should look at...

1) You take the proven, young NHL talent every single time over draft picks. Myers is already a Calder winner, Yakupov hasn't played a single second in the NHL. Of the 2,600 names drafted in the 90s, <500 played 200+ games (19%). A little napkin math tells me that about 250 would be first round picks. Of those, 160 played 200+ games. So right off the bat, there's a ~35% chance whomever we would take with the pick hardly touches the ice. You could go so far as to scale it for top 5,10 picks, whatever you'd like, call it an 80% chance the player works out. Now, you want to give up our 100% chance the kid works out (Myers), and another 80% chance (our 12th overall), for one 80% shot? Doesn't make too much sense to me.

Numbers from http://proicehockey.about.com/od/prospects/f/draft_success.htm

2) Anyone who wants to move Myers is nuts. Chara was -61 with 29 pts in his first four years. Pronger was -18 with 104 pts in his first four. Myers? +18 with 108 pts in his first three. Barring anything crazy, this kid has 15 years of a career left and is on one heckuva pace. He's going to get bigger, stronger, faster, tougher and just as important, develop the maturity and mental toughness he needs.

Numbers from yahoo sports

Proven, young, NHL talent every single time

1) You take the proven, young NHL talent every single time over draft picks. Myers is already a Calder winner, Yakupov hasn't played a single second in the NHL. Of the 2,600 names drafted in the 90s, <500 played 200+ games (19%). A little napkin math tells me that about 250 would be first round picks. Of those, 160 played 200+ games. So right off the bat, there's a ~35% chance whomever we would take with the pick hardly touches the ice. You could go so far as to scale it for top 5,10 picks, whatever you'd like, call it an 80% chance the player works out. Now, you want to give up our 100% chance the kid works out (Myers), and another 80% chance (our 12th overall), for one 80% shot? Doesn't make too much sense to me.

Numbers from http://proicehockey....aft_success.htm

I agree with you and that's why I want to see the team package some or all of those four picks in the first two rounds for a player from a team that needs a rebuild. Does San Jose realize that its window is closed and that it needs to restock the tank? There are some nice players there.

There's a lot of trades I'd make, but giving us another hole isn't one. Myers is here for the long haul. I think the first pick is over-rated this year, but if we were going to move up in the draft it would probably center around our 2 1sts and 2 2nds.

2) Anyone who wants to move Myers is nuts. Chara was -61 with 29 pts in his first four years. Pronger was -18 with 104 pts in his first four. Myers? +18 with 108 pts in his first three. Barring anything crazy, this kid has 15 years of a career left and is on one heckuva pace. He's going to get bigger, stronger, faster, tougher and just as important, develop the maturity and mental toughness he needs.

Golden first post.

There is a ton of wishful thinking in this post. Myers needs to prove he can get back to the level he played at as a rookie before he moves on to bigger and better things.

Chara and Pronger are interesting examples, both players were were moved early in their careers. I wonder if that was part of their maturation process and if both would be the same players they are now if they stayed with the Islanders and Whalers/Hurricanes respectively.

Awesome post!

There is a ton of wishful thinking in this post. Myers needs to prove he can get back to the level he played at as a rookie before he moves on to bigger and better things.

Chara and Pronger are interesting examples, both players were were moved early in their careers. I wonder if that was part of their maturation process and if both would be the same players they are now if they stayed with the Islanders and Whalers/Hurricanes respectively.

His still got less to prove than the draftees

While I don't disagree with the premise, I think you're pinning a lot on two weak points.

#1. He won the Calder, great, but what does that really mean in the big picture? That means there was one good year. He needs to do far more than that. The list of d-men who won the Calder is very impressive, including the likes of Orr, Bourque, Potvin, Suter, and Leetch, but it also includes Bryan Berard (extenuating circumstances, I know) and Barrett Jackman. You need to expand on that rookie season or else it's useless.

#2. I think your math on the first round picks is a bit off. We're not talking about the first round or the top 10. We're talking about #1. Yes, it still is no guarantee, but what move is? Tyler Myers is still not a 100% guarantee either.

While I don't disagree with the premise, I think you're pinning a lot on two weak points.

#1. He won the Calder, great, but what does that really mean in the big picture? That means there was one good year. He needs to do far more than that. The list of d-men who won the Calder is very impressive, including the likes of Orr, Bourque, Potvin, Suter, and Leetch, but it also includes Bryan Berard (extenuating circumstances, I know) and Barrett Jackman. You need to expand on that rookie season or else it's useless.

#2. I think your math on the first round picks is a bit off. We're not talking about the first round or the top 10. We're talking about #1. Yes, it still is no guarantee, but what move is? Tyler Myers is still not a 100% guarantee either.

Yes good points. Guys have won rookie of the year and not done much after, it's up to Myers to continue to improve. That being said and based on his past three seasons, I like Myers and 12th overall rather than starting from scratch with one guy.

The draft math isn't that far off at all...1990-1999 (same years used in the previous post), 1st overalls were: Owen Nolan, Eric Lindros, Roman Hamrlik, Alexandre Daigle, Ed Jovanovski, Bryan Berard, Chris Phillips, Joe Thornton, Vinny Lecavalier, Patrik Stefan. 7 out of 10 went well, 2 busts (Daigle, Stefan) and 1 "who knows" (Berard).

Great first post.

Yes good points. Guys have won rookie of the year and not done much after, it's up to Myers to continue to improve. That being said and based on his past three seasons, I like Myers and 12th overall rather than starting from scratch with one guy.

The draft math isn't that far off at all...1990-1999 (same years used in the previous post), 1st overalls were: Owen Nolan, Eric Lindros, Roman Hamrlik, Alexandre Daigle, Ed Jovanovski, Bryan Berard, Chris Phillips, Joe Thornton, Vinny Lecavalier, Patrik Stefan. 7 out of 10 went well, 2 busts (Daigle, Stefan) and 1 "who knows" (Berard).

I don't think it is an automatic don't do "every single time". There has to be a risk-reward discussion. I can't say that I know enough about Nail Yakupov to speak to this particular draft, but there have been plenty of draft years where I would move a Tyler Myers level young player to get into the top couple spots. Yeah there is risk of getting a Patrik Stefan, but there is also risk of getting Steven Stamkos. It depends on the evaluation of the player on the draft board. It shouldn't be an auto don't do. It should be an auto evaluate.

I don't think it is an automatic don't do "every single time". There has to be a risk-reward discussion. I can't say that I know enough about Nail Yakupov to speak to this particular draft, but there have been plenty of draft years where I would move a Tyler Myers level young player to get into the top couple spots. Yeah there is risk of getting a Patrik Stefan, but there is also risk of getting Steven Stamkos. It depends on the evaluation of the player on the draft board. It shouldn't be an auto don't do. It should be an auto evaluate.

Whatever we think of him, Regier does have the best draft record of any current GM from what I know, and his done us pretty well.

Whatever we think of him, Regier does have the best draft record of any current GM from what I know, and his done us pretty well.

Have you really done the research into all of the other teams recent draft history to be able to say this?

I know I haven't, and wouldn;t even consider making that statement because 1. it is about as subjective a statement as it gets and 2. no way in hell am I interested in spending the time to actually check into it before opening my trap about it.

Your mileage may vary.

Not trying to be argumentative at all, but how could that be evaluated? Most picks to play in NHL? You could have a team of all your own draft picks, which sounds great, but you finish dead last? Most all-stars appearances? Does the player count after he leaves your team since you drafted him? Late picks who make it count more? Failed or success of number ones? I just think you can have an opinion on this, but it is impossible to quantify.

Not trying to be argumentative at all, but how could that be evaluated? Most picks to play in NHL? You could have a team of all your own draft picks, which sounds great, but you finish dead last? Most all-stars appearances? Does the player count after he leaves your team since you drafted him? Late picks who make it count more? Failed or success of number ones? I just think you can have an opinion on this, but it is impossible to quantify.

I think it was done by most picks to play over 100 or 200 games in the NHL with the report I read. Also Ennis, Vanek, Myers, Pominville, Roy, Miller (5th round), Enroth just to name a few. Whatever we think of them their good NHL players

Have you really done the research into all of the other teams recent draft history to be able to say this?

I know I haven't, and wouldn;t even consider making that statement because 1. it is about as subjective a statement as it gets and 2. no way in hell am I interested in spending the time to actually check into it before opening my trap about it.

Your mileage may vary.

Bugger the research, it was in a couple of articles about Regier I read. Someone else can do the leg work. :D

If the sabres say that Myers is up for grabs, EVERY team in the NHL would be salivating. Offense is always available, defense is not.

Please tell DR to get some of that always available offense, or tell LR how to bring it out. For me no one is off the market, depending on what is coming back.

I think it was done by most picks to play over 100 or 200 games in the NHL with the report I read. Also Ennis, Vanek, Myers, Pominville, Roy, Miller (5th round), Enroth just to name a few. Whatever we think of them their good NHL players

Bugger the research, it was in a couple of articles about Regier I read. Someone else can do the leg work. :D

Did the article say whether his players were on teams that actually made the playoffs or not?

Archived