GDT: Sabres at Senators 3/10/12 7:00 PM

nfreeman

I'll be there! :)

It's easier to watch at this time of year when I have a pseudo-negative attitude, fake and see-through as it is! It barely helps me contain

overflowing emotions of raw anger, fear, apprehension, and nervousness.

Ditto for me. 60 degrees for my Monday and Wednesday games, yeewwww!

I'm impressed that they kept battling back, haven't seen much of that this season. Miller was great in the 1st, the beginning of the 2nd and overtime. Ennis was getting the ###### beat out of him all game, yet still kept plugging away, scoring the winner in the shootout. BTW, Ennis should of got an assist on the Foligno goal, no Sen touched it between Ennis and Foligno, I think it will be changed. Pommers got it started with a big blast and ended up with 4 shots. Leino played a pretty good game up till the overtime. Foligno impressed me, showing grit and scoring the game tying goal on a great effort play and recording 4 hits. Hodgson ? No points, no shots in 21:48, a deflection off his skate that turned into a Sens goal, I'm hoping to see better. Why in the Hell does Derek Roy get 21+ minutes ? Brad Boyes was putrid, I know he's good in shootouts, but he should of been on the bench, not being rewarded with a shootout chance, which he blew miserably.

Summary of tonight's game

Regulation:

:wallbash: :w00t: :censored: :w00t: :cry: :worthy:

SO:

:worthy:

Please provide these for all games going forward forever and ever amen.

I enjoy being a cheerleader for this team. I understand, however, the negative mindset of so many fans. The human spirit can only take so much disappointment. I can't provide an argument or data to back up this claim, but watching the games is a lot more fun if you believe. I believe.

Just win.

I missed what happened to Ellis...?

His leg got twisted with a Sen and he tweaked something when he fell. Rob Ray said when he came to the bench he was in agony and said he felt his knee pop. That doesn't sound short-term. :(

I missed what happened to Ellis...?

He went for a play towards the net and got tangled up w a sens defender got twisted and did a split. His right knee bent awkward and he slowly skated off the ice. Rob Ray over heard him tell the trainer he heard a pop.

His leg got twisted with a Sen and he tweaked something when he fell. Rob Ray said when he came to the bench he was in agony and said he felt his knee pop. That doesn't sound short-term. :(

Quicker on the keyboard then me.

Haha -- Marcus said he DID think about doing the jump but thought Stafford touched the puck.

He went for a play towards the net and got tangled up w a sens defender got twisted and did a split. His right knee bent awkward and he slowly skated off the ice. Rob Ray over heard him tell the trainer he heard a pop.

Quicker on the keyboard then me.

But you had better details. ;)

Some random thoughts on the game-

-Miller had some amazing saves.

-Marcus Filetmignon has got some wheels. He's deceptively fast. He was also ready to drop'em. Me likey.

-A lot of Sabres looked really slow tonight,.. really slow.

-The second period was some really good playoff type hockey. The beginning of the third wasn't.

-I love that the only time we led in this game was after it was over.

our immediate schedule isn't too bad at all and we need to get a solid 8 points in our next 5

The latest on the playoff race:

Sabres have 26 points left on the table to pick up, and they need to leapfrog 2 of the teams among the Jets, Caps, and Panthers.

Jets have an identical record with the Sabres, Caps are 2 points ahead with a game in hand, and Panthers are 32 points ahead with 2 games in hand.

The Jets can be overcome. The Caps are heating up and will probably make the playoffs. The Panthers concern me...

EDIT: Meant to say that Panthers are THREE points ahead, not THIRTY-TWO, but I think most here will have figured that was a typo...

I just saw the condensed version of the game. Without reading any comments here i think we didn't earn this win. We gave Ottawa so many odd mann rushes, that it is nearly a wonder we only got three goals against.

Meyers made a stupid mistake against the first goal and i think Sulzer also made several bad plays. I nearly did not see anyrhink from Hodson until the last Senators goal. He came into the screen after I think Karlson shot the goal. I exspected more from him. Is it not possible to trade somebody who does not need months of integration time. Is this normal or is our system so strange?

What i really hate in our playing style is our line changes style. Dump the puck in and go to the bench? A great team would held up the pressure on the defense wit h one play.

But on the good side they fought and came back every time, this is very good.

The playoff chances are low though because i think the Caps are goin on a run.

The latest on the playoff race:

Sabres have 26 points left on the table to pick up, and they need to leapfrog 2 of the teams among the Jets, Caps, and Panthers.

Jets have an identical record with the Sabres, Caps are 2 points ahead with a game in hand, and Panthers are 32 points ahead with 2 games in hand.

The Jets can be overcome. The Caps are heating up and will probably make the playoffs. The Panthers concern me...

After the Panthers play the Sabres, they have a string of 6 games against teams that are currently in the bottom 8 in the league. The probably have the easiest schedule between the four teams. I'm not sure the Caps will make a run. They've got some serious goaltending issues and they haven't been too consistent lately. Not sure what the deal is with Vokoun and the front office. Winnipeg is notorious for blowing it at the end. They're a very undisciplined team and they can't win on the road. It's gonna be very interesting! Bottom line is, THE SABRES NEED TO WIN. If they don't then the point is moot lol.

I thought that the Foligno goal should of had assists added to it, but after watching replays of it this morning (MSG sucks for replays), I see that Foligno stole the puck from the Ottawa defender, great effort play by Foligno for his 1st NHL goal.

141130798_slide.jpg

it's starting to look like Sulzer is the best player of the entire trade.

He's exceeded my expectations already. Honestly, I didn't expect that we'd even see him play a game in the blue and gold given the way McNabb performed earlier in the year. But he's been a pleasant surprise and looks to be a pretty capable depth defenseman, which is an important asset to have if the team manages to make the playoffs (as we learned the hard way in 2006.) And who knows, maybe a trade or two go down this off-season and Sulzer plays well enough to earn a spot on the third pair next season.

That said -- and I know you were somewhat just making a joke there, but I want to comment anyway -- Hodgson is going to find his stride soon, and is going to be dangerous. You can just tell by watching him that he's got some real talent. I know eventually he has to start showing up on the scoresheet, and I'll also acknowledge that he has had a couple of not-so-good games in a row now, but I get so excited watching the kid play. His first few games here with Stafford and Ennis, it seemed that every time the trio was on the ice they created a scoring chance. He showed exceptional vision, I mean, his playmaking was phenomenal those first two games even though his line mates (and himself at times) were unable to cash in. He's been less than impressive the last few games but I know the talent is there -- I think when Vanek is healthy, Hodgson will center his line with Pominville, and it could be a pretty deadly line. I think Hodgson can pass well enough to get both Vanek and Pominville the puck in shooting positions, and I think both Pominville and Hodgson can shoot the puck well enough to generate rebounds for Vanek in front.

He's exceeded my expectations already. Honestly, I didn't expect that we'd even see him play a game in the blue and gold given the way McNabb performed earlier in the year. But he's been a pleasant surprise and looks to be a pretty capable depth defenseman, which is an important asset to have if the team manages to make the playoffs (as we learned the hard way in 2006.) And who knows, maybe a trade or two go down this off-season and Sulzer plays well enough to earn a spot on the third pair next season.

That said -- and I know you were somewhat just making a joke there, but I want to comment anyway -- Hodgson is going to find his stride soon, and is going to be dangerous. You can just tell by watching him that he's got some real talent. I know eventually he has to start showing up on the scoresheet, and I'll also acknowledge that he has had a couple of not-so-good games in a row now, but I get so excited watching the kid play. His first few games here with Stafford and Ennis, it seemed that every time the trio was on the ice they created a scoring chance. He showed exceptional vision, I mean, his playmaking was phenomenal those first two games even though his line mates (and himself at times) were unable to cash in. He's been less than impressive the last few games but I know the talent is there -- I think when Vanek is healthy, Hodgson will center his line with Pominville, and it could be a pretty deadly line. I think Hodgson can pass well enough to get both Vanek and Pominville the puck in shooting positions, and I think both Pominville and Hodgson can shoot the puck well enough to generate rebounds for Vanek in front.

speaking of cashing in, Kassian got his clock cleaned vs. Montreal and played 8:30 w 15 min in penalties. Gragnani -- another 0-0-0 game...keep em coming. I don't think Kassian's ready for prime time yet...Foligno might be better!

as far as Hodgson, he's had some opportunities but it seems he's the passer in the offensive situations and his shots so far haven't been well setup. Haven't seen any of his wicked shots yet...He's fallen victim to bad passes in the d-zone that's gone off his skate for chances and goals for the other team, so look out for those quick passes in the skate Hodsie. Buffalo's D isn't nearly as skilled as Vancouver's. So far, Sulzer looks the most NHL ready of all the players traded and by the looks of things, we're not missing Gaustad too much either.

Bank the two points and get ready for the Habs tomorrow night. The Habs are coming off a trip to Alberta and BC, the Sabres need to take advantage of that.

I propose sending Roy to Rochester and keeping Foligno when Vanek returns. Or Stafford. Or Boyes. Or....

Like him or not, Roy is currently the only Center on the team with NHL game. If the Sabres are going to do anything of note this season/post-season Roy is going to have to start producing. He picked up a point last night. Roy tends to be a bit streaky these days, you have to hope that one point sets off another streak.

Aren't most of Roy's streaks, like his cohort Stafford, "coincidentally" right before trade time? :rolleyes:

Sabres would be MUCH better off with both of those guys gone during the off-season. Let them poison another roster.

Aren't most of Roy's streaks, like his cohort Stafford, "coincidentally" right before trade time? :rolleyes:

Sabres would be MUCH better off with both of those guys gone during the off-season. Let them poison another roster.

Actually, over the past few years Roy has been the most consistent point producer this team has.

Does anyone know when or where the "Roy is a cancer" or "Roy is poisoning the locker room" started? Posters like to toss that around when they don't like a player, I am wondering if there is any merit to it at all.

Actually, over the past few years Roy has been the most consistent point producer this team has.

Does anyone know when or where the "Roy is a cancer" or "Roy is poisoning the locker room" started? Posters like to toss that around when they don't like a player, I am wondering if there is any merit to it at all.

People like to write their own narratives.

Never mind that there's a sizable handful of guys who have slumped just as badly as Roy this season, and never mind that he led the team in points for 3 consecutive years after the departure of Briere/Drury...he's obviously a bum and a cancer.

People, watch the games. The team rallies around Roy when he scores just as much as any other player.

1. That's exactly why if he goes, the Sabres have to get a real player in return. Like you and others, I'm not averse to seeing him in another sweater, but he isn't the complete waste that Stafford is.

2. No idea. I doubt that there is merit to it. We would have heard something from a reputable source by this point. All we have is the much-denied rumor that he punched Tim Connolly, which should have made him a hero in the dressing room, if it actually happened.

People like to write their own narratives.

Never mind that there's a sizable handful of guys who have slumped just as badly as Roy this season, and never mind that he led the team in points for 3 consecutive years after the departure of Briere/Drury...he's obviously a bum and a cancer.

People, watch the games. The team rallies around Roy when he scores just as much as any other player.

Yeah, this, too.

Stafford had a couple of good plays last night, including muscling Karlson off of the puck at the blue line late in the third or in OT, I can remember which but it was an important play because I didn't want to see that bastard take another shot from the point. Just giving him some credit.

Archived