GDT: Sabres at Senators 3/10/12 7:00 PM

nfreeman

Gerbe brings more to the table than just scoring. When you consider he's been on the 3rd or 4th line most of his career so far, there's not much he can do when he's not paired with guys who are supposed to score like Roy and Stafford. If you account for every other aspect of the game besides scoring, Gerbe is by far the better player when compared to Roy. And when you consider the contracts of all these playes mentioned, as has been mentioned, Gerbe is the very least of this team's concerns.

Nathan Gerbe is 241st in points, 295th in goals. He has scored just six times.

I agree with the bitching and moaning about Stafford and Roy. I love Gerbe's hustle.

But this guy scored 15 times in the back half of the season last year and has been just as disappointing from an offensive point of view as the rest of our regular whipping boys.

I said it a few days ago in a game night thread, but no one responded: Gerbe doesn't score, rarely forces turnovers or draws penalties like he did last year, rarely contributes on special teams and obviously doesn't intimidate anybody.

All he does is skate hard. If he was a fourth-liner adding spark and speed to a big team his performance would be fine.

Instead he is a third-liner on one of the smallest teams in the league and he, like so many others, is simply not getting it done this year.

I love the guy and want him to succeed, but it's supposed to be about results.

I'm not sure why he gets a free pass.

IMO, Gerbe is the exception to many rules. I will guess he has been for much of his hockey life. He has many of the qualities as a player I wish others on this roster had. At this point on the list of things that bother me about this team, Gerbe may be dead last on my list. That said, I see your points and can't say you are wrong in any way.

Nathan Gerbe is 241st in points, 295th in goals. He has scored just six times.

I agree with the bitching and moaning about Stafford and Roy. I love Gerbe's hustle.

But this guy scored 15 times in the back half of the season last year and has been just as disappointing from an offensive point of view as the rest of our regular whipping boys.

I said it a few days ago in a game night thread, but no one responded: Gerbe doesn't score, rarely forces turnovers or draws penalties like he did last year, rarely contributes on special teams and obviously doesn't intimidate anybody.

All he does is skate hard. If he was a fourth-liner adding spark and speed to a big team his performance would be fine.

Instead he is a third-liner on one of the smallest teams in the league and he, like so many others, is simply not getting it done this year.

I love the guy and want him to succeed, but it's supposed to be about results.

I'm not sure why he gets a free pass.

Gerbe has hustle, but doesn't bring much else. I haven't said it lately but I still believe that there is not room on a Stanley Cup contender for Nathan Gerbe. Then again, there isn't room on a Stanley Cup contender for quite a few guys who are skating with blue and gold sweaters. Note Sulzer as one example. The guy couldn't get ice time with the Canucks but has looked like Buffalo's most consistent defender the last couple of games. Wonder why that is?

After the Panthers play the Sabres, they have a string of 6 games against teams that are currently in the bottom 8 in the league. The probably have the easiest schedule between the four teams. I'm not sure the Caps will make a run. They've got some serious goaltending issues and they haven't been too consistent lately. Not sure what the deal is with Vokoun and the front office. Winnipeg is notorious for blowing it at the end. They're a very undisciplined team and they can't win on the road. It's gonna be very interesting! Bottom line is, THE SABRES NEED TO WIN. If they don't then the point is moot lol.

............... as Neuvirth goes on to blank the Leafs 2-0.

Maybe I missed this, but is there a significance to this golden helmet thing? Does Pommers give it out to a different player each game?

It's just a goofy player of the game thing that the team does for wins.

Yep. It beats the spotted grouse or whatever the hell it was that they were doing a couple of years ago.

Spacek brought over the pigeon.

A lot of silly player game award head gear. The Rangers have a black fedora.

It's just a goofy player of the game thing that the team does for wins.

Yep. It beats the spotted grouse or whatever the hell it was that they were doing a couple of years ago.

Cool. Yeah, I like it!

Spacek brought over the pigeon.

A lot of silly player game award head gear. The Rangers have a black fedora.

It's good for them, we had something similar for my team in college, definitely a neat thing to bring the boys together.

Does it get awarded following a loss?

Be awesome if Marcus Foligno continues to improve. He's only 20 years old.

His story is just terrific.

Father was a Sabre, brother is a player for the Ottawa Senators. Born in Buffalo, and two sisters live in Buffalo.

You'd have to imagine it's was a dream for him to be a Sabre - now it's a reality, and in his second outing as a Sabre he scores a clutch goal that ended up taking the game to a shoot out and a Sabres win. And with his brother watching on the other bench! Marcus had to be walking about 3' off the ground last night - what a huge moment for him. Can only imagine how incredible it must have been for him - very happy for him.

Hope he can keep on doing it. :)

Cool. Yeah, I like it!

It's good for them, we had something similar for my team in college, definitely a neat thing to bring the boys together.

Does it get awarded following a loss?

They should make the player who has the biggest gaff during a loss wear one of Don Cherrys suits.

Just thinking it is a pretty rare feat to win a game that you surrender a short handed goal in... I don't know what the stats are for this, but I would bet a teams chances of winning a game in which the surrender a SHG is well below 15%.

Archived