OT - KONY 2012

Neo

Invisible Children came to our school (HS) last year to present to the students. Faculty and staff (much more intense) saw a different video then students. There was a very nice young man that was rescued from Kony there and has been working for the organization.

I have seen several news articles on line questioning the fundraising of this group and questioning their motives. Bottom line, IMO, is they are bringing awareness to a mass murderer and the need to stop and arrest/kill this man. I haven't watched the "viral" video but did see the 30 minute video/presentation we saw last year.

google or youtube. i am web challenged, sorry. the key is "2012" ... it's who he is, but it's also what's being done here ... 17 minute video ... you'll see that me being cryptic is half the point ...

He hasn't been in Uganda for about 6 years....

I agree it is good to bring awareness to him, but i think that it is a bad idea to support this charity

If this is being used as an excuse to get us into another false flag war, I am totally opposed to this. Simple common sense and economics would show us that we cannot afford to go into another war. Period.

I would be okay with the whole idea, if the organization was actually there for the last seven years, and the small fact the the CEO'S of the Invisible Child fund are paying themselves 90k a year. I'm not saying that they should not be paid for their work, but i think 90k a year is excessive, especially if it is truly meant to be a "non-profit"

I am all for charity, and making lives better for people who don't have standard of life like others in the world, I just hate the corruption that goes along with almost everything you see these days.

He sounds like 100 other despots around the world in need of a $2.00 bullet delivered at 4,000 fps. Why should we care more about this one than any of the others?

You got to start somewhere. If there was oil or vast mineral riches in Uganda the U.S. and its allies or China or Russia would already be there setting up some form of control. Idi Amin also had years to brutalize freely without interference but that doesn't make it o.k.

i don't think that the invisible children guys are scam artists, but they do seem like activist-douchebags. i mean, c'mon:

taubcronin%20p.jpg

the kony 2012 movie is seductive because it is grossly over-simplified.

my favorite critique thus far is from max fisher, a guy who knows more about international affairs (and africa specifically) than i will ever know. here's what he wrote in the atlantic:

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/03/the-soft-bigotry-of-kony-2012/254194/

But the damage of Kony 2012 is probably already done, and that damage is real. First, it's likely to actually decrease the amount of help that goes into Central Africa. The video is a joy to watch and spread because it tells Americans that by simply watching a video, and at most maybe buying a $30 "action kit" of wristbands and stickers, they have done all that's necessary; they are absolved of responsibility. How much money has Invisible Children soaked up that could have gone to actually effective campaigns or more experienced NGOs? How many people might have put their energy, which after all is finite, toward something more constructive? As Amanda Taub and Kate Cronin-Furman write, "Campaigns that focus on bracelets and social media absorb resources that could go toward more effective advocacy, and take up rhetorical space that could be used to develop more effective advocacy."

Worst of all, the much-circulated campaign subtly reinforces an idea that has been one of Africa's biggest disasters: that well-meaning Westerners need to come in and fix it. Africans, in this telling, are helpless victims, and Westerners are the heroes. It's part of a long tradition of Western advocacy that has, for centuries, adopted some form of white man's burden, treating African people as cared for only to the extent that Westerners care, their problems solvable only to the extent that Westerners solve them, and surely damned unless we can save them. First it was with missionaries, then "civilizing" missions, and finally the ultimate end of white paternalism, which was placing Africans under the direct Western control of imperialism. And while imperialism may have collapsed 50 years ago, that mentality persists, because it is rewarding and ennobling to feel needed and to believe you are doing something good.

google or youtube. i am web challenged, sorry. the key is "2012" ... it's who he is, but it's also what's being done here ... 17 minute video ... you'll see that me being cryptic is half the point ...

If you have to be cryptic to get people to watch, it's not worth watching.

i don't think that the invisible children guys are scam artists, but they do seem like activist-douchebags. i mean, c'mon:

taubcronin%20p.jpg

the kony 2012 movie is seductive because it is grossly over-simplified.

my favorite critique thus far is from max fisher, a guy who knows more about international affairs (and africa specifically) than i will ever know. here's what he wrote in the atlantic:

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/03/the-soft-bigotry-of-kony-2012/254194/

But the damage of Kony 2012 is probably already done, and that damage is real. First, it's likely to actually decrease the amount of help that goes into Central Africa. The video is a joy to watch and spread because it tells Americans that by simply watching a video, and at most maybe buying a $30 "action kit" of wristbands and stickers, they have done all that's necessary; they are absolved of responsibility. How much money has Invisible Children soaked up that could have gone to actually effective campaigns or more experienced NGOs? How many people might have put their energy, which after all is finite, toward something more constructive? As Amanda Taub and Kate Cronin-Furman write, "Campaigns that focus on bracelets and social media absorb resources that could go toward more effective advocacy, and take up rhetorical space that could be used to develop more effective advocacy."

Worst of all, the much-circulated campaign subtly reinforces an idea that has been one of Africa's biggest disasters: that well-meaning Westerners need to come in and fix it. Africans, in this telling, are helpless victims, and Westerners are the heroes. It's part of a long tradition of Western advocacy that has, for centuries, adopted some form of white man's burden, treating African people as cared for only to the extent that Westerners care, their problems solvable only to the extent that Westerners solve them, and surely damned unless we can save them. First it was with missionaries, then "civilizing" missions, and finally the ultimate end of white paternalism, which was placing Africans under the direct Western control of imperialism. And while imperialism may have collapsed 50 years ago, that mentality persists, because it is rewarding and ennobling to feel needed and to believe you are doing something good.

I don't buy this take at all. Just like with Napster, people who "stole" music weren't going to buy it anyway. But someone who "stole" a crappier MP3 version might actually go out and buy the full quality CD after they heard it. Someone who donates to IC wasn't donating anything before. They might actually dig deeper now and find something that might do more good, something that wouldn't have happened before this video.

As to the second paragraph, does it really matter what color the people are who stop women and children from being murdered as long as it stops?

It never ceases to amaze me that no matter what anybody does, there is someone to criticize it.

Someone who donates to IC wasn't donating anything before.

and arguably, if they donte to IC, they're still not donating anything to the cause. (okay, that was a bit rough.)

They might actually dig deeper now and find something that might do more good, something that wouldn't have happened before this video.

i hear what you're saying, and think that you have a valid point.

i also think that it says something that people who are immersed in african matters, african relations, african development are almost universal in how they distance themselves from these guys.

As to the second paragraph, does it really matter what color the people are who stop women and children from being murdered as long as it stops?

i think it does. and i think it's damn poor policy to invoke some very provocative ideas and stats and footage and, based thereon, say that the west/u.s. should intervene on a military level whenever and wherever atrocities are being committed (or are allegedly being committed).

what's the mantra that i heard some secretary of state intone (was not H R-C -- it was someone who served under Dubya) -- "african solutions for african problems."

and arguably, if they donte to IC, they're still not donating anything to the cause. (okay, that was a bit rough.)

i hear what you're saying, and think that you have a valid point.

i also think that it says something that people who are immersed in african matters, african relations, african development are almost universal in how they distance themselves from these guys.

i think it does. and i think it's damn poor policy to invoke some very provocative ideas and stats and footage and, based thereon, say that the west/u.s. should intervene on a military level whenever and wherever atrocities are being committed (or are allegedly being committed).

what's the mantra that i heard some secretary of state intone (was not H R-C -- it was someone who served under Dubya) -- "african solutions for african problems."

Sooo,.. the West should only protect white people? :ph34r:

If only there was oil under their huts...

Sooo,.. the West should only protect white people? :ph34r:
you're better than that.
There is no way that that writer wasn't implying Balck and White when he was saying African and Westerner?

implying? there's no implication there. it's clear as day. westerners are the euros/canada/u.s. africans are ... well, african.

the point that is being made is that the west is doing africa no favors in the long-run -- and, in fact, is ensuring a vacuum for warlords like this kony character to step into -- when it (the west) continues to treat africa like a protectorate that the west must periodically swoop into save from violence, anarchy, and such.

I watched the video and its time the world put a stop to parasites like this. This guy is Evil incarnate and needs to be put down. IMO.

They already have, this video is like 10yrs to late, read up to things people, kony been out of oeganda for 5 yrs now, but he is spread and decimated over 3 other african nations

like south sudan and congo. can't believe people are buying into this ###### again. did USA find oil in oeganda or something ?

Archived