GDT: Buffalo at Boston (3/8/2012, 7:00pm)

Corp000085

The sad thing is that there is ZERO chance that Darcy goes anywhere, and he is committed 100% to Roy and Stafford, two of the anchors holding this team back.

As much as I don't like Roy, at least he gives you something in terms of production. Stafford just plays guitar and pines for Northwest Canada.

I was at the game tonight.... a few observations. (Not many, because most of the posts leave little more to be said).

1. Boston fans were awesome. I did not have one bad experience or snide remark made all night, despite wearing my Tyler Myers jersey and a Sabres hat. One cute little kid gave me a funny cheap shot. I really enjoyed the night and the atmosphere because of the fans, who were all cordial and good-natured.

2. I texted all night to my buddies that Vanek was sleep-walking. He never engaged in this hockey game and there was virtually no effort throughout. And I am not kidding. Away from the puck, he was Herman Munster. When he got blasted, it was fitting because he was listless, unaware, and a non-factor the entire game until he got drilled. I felt he deserved that hard-hitting wake-up call.

3. The bigger the game, the smaller Derek Roy. And I don't mean his stature.

4. Drew Stafford was Thomas Vanek in another jersey. No effort, no desire. Short spurts of nothingness. Roy and Stafford will never contribute to a championship in Buffalo.

5. Boyes competes hard in the category of uselessness... with Roy and Stafford as his main competitors.

6. There were very few Buffalo fans in attendance. I am sure a weekday game is a factor, but I maybe saw six or seven other people with Blue and Gold. And I tried hard to find more.

7. This is Darcy's squad. These are his players. I think we can draw conclusions. One good trade deadline in 14 years is not enough to warrant an extension. Best wishes, Darcy.

The sad thing is that there is ZERO chance that Darcy goes anywhere, and he is committed 100% to Roy and Stafford, two of the anchors holding this team back.

As much as I don't like Roy, at least he gives you something in terms of production. Stafford just plays guitar and pines for Northwest Canada.

I don't think I can agree with this just yet because it assumes Pegula and Co. are going to be happy about the results this season. At a minimum they need to make the playoffs as the lineup has been healthy enough, long enough during their run to give Pegula and Co. a pretty good look at the squad as assembled last summer. If they fold down the stretch, I think there's a good chance that DR and LR could be in jeopardy.

GO SABRES!!!

I was at the game tonight.... a few observations. (Not many, because most of the posts leave little more to be said).

1. Boston fans were awesome. I did not have one bad experience or snide remark made all night, despite wearing my Tyler Myers jersey and a Sabres hat. One cute little kid gave me a funny cheap shot. I really enjoyed the night and the atmosphere because of the fans, who were all cordial and good-natured.

That's shocking, and you pretty much have to be the luckiest guy in the world right now considering how ###### Boston fans are in general.

I would guess he would have to clear waivers. Which he wouldn't.

You are aware of the underlying fact that Hodgson is on a team that has scored 13goals in 6games... If anything he has been the first defensively responsible center on this team since Drury. Also if Regier had moved Roy or Ruff had the balls to put him on the 3rd line, Tyler Ennis would still be at center. There is a great excuse for a 2nd line center not to have any points when hes on a line with Stafford... but you are right I wish we had kept that RW guy who played worse than Hodgson... cuz he weighed more... and thats all that matters...

They LOST TO BOSTON! Why are ppl freaking out? I am gonna tune out for 24hours cuz i dont wanna listen to it.

Wasn't the reason they brought him in was to increase the offensive output?

It's only been six games, it just happens to be a very unimpressive six games by Hodgson. They gave up a lot for him and it would be nice to get some type of return on the investment during their fight to make the playoffs.

Why only 24 hours? We'll be talking about this for far longer than 24 hours.

You can't play the kid once since Jan 18th and expect much more than what he gave tonight.

i reject this completely.....

what is he doing in practice ?...just loafing around ?....if this is true, then shame on the coaches for not keeping him sharp.....seems to me it would be pretty easy....you telling me all the shots taken in practice are at half speed or something....players aren't really trying to put the puck in the net.....i've been at practices.....there are hundreds of shots taken.....somehow the 30 he faces in a real game are different ??

i reject this completely.....

what is he doing in practice ?...just loafing around ?....if this is true, then shame on the coaches for not keeping him sharp.....seems to me it would be pretty easy....you telling me all the shots taken in practice are at half speed or something....players aren't really trying to put the puck in the net.....i've been at practices.....there are hundreds of shots taken.....somehow the 30 he faces in a real game are different ??

You can't simulate the speed and intensity of the game in practice. Much like pitching in baseball no matter how many drills or simulated innings you pitch it's nothing compared to going live.

You can't simulate the speed and intensity of the game in practice. Much like pitching in baseball no matter how many drills or simulated innings you pitch it's nothing compared to going live.

i disagree....heres why......in baseball, as a pitcher, i accept your not throwing as hard for as long as you would between actual game starts. in baseball as a hitter, you are not facing big league pitchers in batting practice.

but in hockey, when the shooters practice, it sure looks to me like they are going 100%. the goalie is facing "live" shots.

i disagree....heres why......in baseball, as a pitcher, i accept your not throwing as hard for as long as you would between actual game starts. in baseball as a hitter, you are not facing big league pitchers in batting practice.

but in hockey, when the shooters practice, it sure looks to me like they are going 100%. the goalie is facing "live" shots.

I am not high-sticking you here, but you could not have played hockey at any level before. There is no comparison between the shots, traffic, speed, and intensity a goaltender faces in practice vs. a game. Not even close. I'm not sure why there is any focus whatsoever on the goaltenders anyway. Our pitiful scoring output of late puts all the pressure on Miller and Enroth. When they are stellar and heroic, we have a good chance and will likely win. When they are very good, we might win, but probably not. When they're just good, we lose.

Boston outclassed us last night and we had MANY players coasting. I was at the game and while it might not seem so on TV, watching it live was aggravating, particularly as I watched what guys were doing away from the puck. Enroth deserved better than he got from his team in Boston.

Bottom line: Roy and Stafford need to go.

They are the primary "on-the-ice" reasons for why this franchise has been spinning its wheels for the past 5 years. Our two scoring lines simply do not score consistently enough and especially in critical situations. Vanek and Pominville have their faults like all players do, but they're still very solid. Ennis and Hodgson are too young to be fairly evaluated, but both clearly have enough talent and potential to stick with the team beyond April.

I don't know what Stafford's or Roy's problems are. Maybe they don't have the requisite inner drive to be great. Maybe they just need to get married (to women, not to each other) and have kids like Vanek and Pominville did in order to start taking their careers more seriously?

Conclusion: bring in a quality free agent center for Vanek and Pominville and a quality free agent right winger for Ennis and Hodgson.

Bottom line: Roy and Stafford need to go.

I don't think it's any accident that the only scoring effort they made all season was just a week or so prior to the trade deadline. I think they're both lazy and apathetic, and they act like union employees with protected jobs doing just the bare minimum to collect a pay check.

I think their apathy and laziness comes in part from the attitudes of Lindy Ruff. Here the guy was benching Thomas Vanek for penalties - meanwhile Roy has as many PIM as Thomas, and a lot fewer goals. BOTH of last night's goals by Boston occurred when Roy was on the ice. I don't see that as a coincidence. Where is Roy's benching, huh??? What is this Ruff guy doing? Does he even know or care????

Not sure how either Ruff or Regier can defend them after all the years they've been on the team, and all the ensuing futility and failure. After all these seasons and they've achieved nothing, send them packing. And if either Ruff or Regier are opposed to that, then THEY should sent packing too with their 'golden boys'.

This team clearly needs a major shakeup of the roster and the management if there's going to be any chance of post-season success.

I don't think I can agree with this just yet because it assumes Pegula and Co. are going to be happy about the results this season. At a minimum they need to make the playoffs as the lineup has been healthy enough, long enough during their run to give Pegula and Co. a pretty good look at the squad as assembled last summer. If they fold down the stretch, I think there's a good chance that DR and LR could be in jeopardy.

GO SABRES!!!

I just don't see it, and it's because of the moves at the deadline. I don't think a GM who is even remotely in jeopardy of losing his job would be allowed to trade arguably the team's #1 prospect and then acquire another 1st round pick. But I could be (and hope I am) wrong.

Like what.

From what I have seen, MOST any team that the Sabres play can turn it on when they want and there is NOTHING the Sabres can do about it. That West Coast trip would have been a nightmare if it was not for Miller masking the ongoing weakness on this team. Players literally push our guys off the puck at will and once a team gets into the playoffs, pffffff, forget about it. This team is soooo far away from being built to make a run IN the playoffs. Even the Rangers have figured it out and it showed when they battled Boston last Sunday. Our guys? please......

I don't think I can agree with this just yet because it assumes Pegula and Co. are going to be happy about the results this season. At a minimum they need to make the playoffs as the lineup has been healthy enough, long enough

during their run to give Pegula and Co. a pretty

good look at the squad as assembled last

summer. If they fold down the stretch, I think

there's a good chance that DR and LR could be

in jeopardy.

After Terry's little whoa is us speech claiming injuries are to blame, you think he does a complete 180 and holds people accountable for the on ice disaster?

It seems easy to sum up the comments generally occurring on the board lately...

All of the players suck, the front office sucks, the coaching sucks, the peanut guy sucks.

Look, they underachieved this year. Get over it. The talent was basically there, but the spark was not. The NHL was not overflowing with a lot of extra talent during last year's FA period or this year's trade deadline.

That being said, I see it as a coaching problem. When the team came out in Oct almost everyone was like..."YEAH, WE"RE GOING ALL THE WAY!!"

People had hope for good reason. There are talented players on this team. Players that for the most part have good resumes' either with the Sabres or with other teams. Someone has to take that diversified talent and bring it together. That mostly falls on the coach. Lindy has served the team well as a player and a coach, but if there are to be any major changes, you have to start with him.

My take from following the comments is that we dont have one sniper, one playmaker, one king of defense, and even our superstar goalie is now marginal. If all that's true, then blow up the team, start from bare bones, and deal with 3-4 rebuilding seasons. The better solution is to move Lindy to the FO, get a new coach, and keep the roster largely intact.

It seems easy to sum up the comments generally occurring on the board lately...

All of the players suck, the front office sucks, the coaching sucks, the peanut guy sucks.

Look, they underachieved this year. Get over it. The talent was basically there, but the spark was not. The NHL was not overflowing with a lot of extra talent during last year's FA period or this year's trade deadline.

That being said, I see it as a coaching problem. When the team came out in Oct almost everyone was like..."YEAH, WE"RE GOING ALL THE WAY!!"

People had hope for good reason. There are talented players on this team. Players that for the most part have good resumes' either with the Sabres or with other teams. Someone has to take that diversified talent and bring it together. That mostly falls on the coach. Lindy has served the team well as a player and a coach, but if there are to be any major changes, you have to start with him.

My take from following the comments is that we dont have one sniper, one playmaker, one king of defense, and even our superstar goalie is now marginal. If all that's true, then blow up the team, start from bare bones, and deal with 3-4 rebuilding seasons. The better solution is to move Lindy to the FO, get a new coach, and keep the roster largely intact.

Telent without heart means nothing and THAT is the problem with this team. The other problem lies in the size and this is coming from someone who still loves the Hodgson trade. Stafford could play bigger but doesn't. Roy? Let's just not go there. Ennis is nothing without some size on the wings to allow him to roam. Gerbe? Does he even have a goal this year. I love his heart but he is invisible unless you put him on a team like the Bruins. Keep the defense, Miller and build around Pomm, Hodgson and Vanek (unless you can make a trade for more size and a little less scoring for Van). Vanek and Ennis fall into the same category for me - they dissapear against the bigger teams (which for the most part is 99% of the time).

July 1 better be a big shakeup.....

I am not high-sticking you here, but you could not have played hockey at any level before. There is no comparison between the shots, traffic, speed, and intensity a goaltender faces in practice vs. a game. Not even close. I'm not sure why there is any focus whatsoever on the goaltenders anyway. Our pitiful scoring output of late puts all the pressure on Miller and Enroth. When they are stellar and heroic, we have a good chance and will likely win. When they are very good, we might win, but probably not. When they're just good, we lose.

Boston outclassed us last night and we had MANY players coasting. I was at the game and while it might not seem so on TV, watching it live was aggravating, particularly as I watched what guys were doing away from the puck. Enroth The Goaltenders deserved better than he got from his team in Boston All Year.

Fixed

Archived