Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

At this point I am sure the Canucks will view any points from Kassian as gravy. He's there to play the body.

Right? If it weren't for Sedin missing, the play early when kassian took Myers completely out of the play, opening up a 2-on-none for the Sedins is exactly why the Canucks got him, and I'm happy for both teams now. Because that Hodgson/Stafford/Ennis line is the best line in the last three games, just ahead of that new shut-down line (Gaustad who??)

Its kinda interesting that with Hodgson completely anchoring the 2nd line down the middle, stafford and ennis are getting more chances to break out. Also of interest is that with Goose gone, Leino seems to have found some chemistry with gerbe and kaleta but 2 goals in 1 night does not a line make so that i will watch with much anticipation.

The thing about Hodgson is he has generated a number of chances (unlike the Roy line) in the last 2 games and I think with some practice and maybe a day of rest that Ennis and Stafford can gel with him more. I noticed some of Hods stick handling and shooting more last night so he does have the talent, I think its just going to take some time for him to get comfortable.

As for Kassian, he played well last night but outside the Myers hit and the goal, I noticed MAG more than him... However i will say Sulzer looked very serviceable on the d-line last night and was not a liability. I would argue the jury is still out on who this trade and will be for a bit.

Its kinda interesting that with Hodgson completely anchoring the 2nd line down the middle, stafford and ennis are getting more chances to break out. Also of interest is that with Goose gone, Leino seems to have found some chemistry with gerbe and kaleta but 2 goals in 1 night does not a line make so that i will watch with much anticipation.

The thing about Hodgson is he has generated a number of chances (unlike the Roy line) in the last 2 games and I think with some practice and maybe a day of rest that Ennis and Stafford can gel with him more. I noticed some of Hods stick handling and shooting more last night so he does have the talent, I think its just going to take some time for him to get comfortable.

As for Kassian, he played well last night but outside the Myers hit and the goal, I noticed MAG more than him... However i will say Sulzer looked very serviceable on the d-line last night and was not a liability. I would argue the jury is still out on who this trade and will be for a bit.

Than you must have noticed MAG more that Hodgson, because Kassian was more noticeable than Hodgson. Except for the one semi-break away that Hamhuis broke-up, Hodgson wasn't much of a factor.

I thought until Kassian's goal that the game was pretty much a push between Hodger and Kassian. Hodger created a number of scoring chances that didn't get cashed, while Kassian made some decent but not earthshattering checks and picked up an assist that was fairly incidental to Booth's goal. Kassian's goal gave him the edge IMHO. Overall I think both teams got last night what they were hoping to get out of the guy they traded for.

Than you must have noticed MAG more that Hodgson, because Kassian was more noticeable than Hodgson. Except for the one semi-break away that Hamhuis broke-up, Hodgson wasn't much of a factor.

I am going to disagree. Hodgson may not have been much of an offensive factor but he broke up numerous plays in our end that lead to breakouts from our zone. His positioning and ability to read the play is amazing.

I am going to disagree. Hodgson may not have been much of an offensive factor but he broke up numerous plays in our end that lead to breakouts from our zone. His positioning and ability to read the play is amazing.

Yeah but how many hits did he have?

I think both players looked good last night. At this point I'd take Hodgson, because I think we can replace Kassian easier than getting a top 6 center. I still think we need more depth down the middle, and would have preffered trading away a lot of other players instead of Kassian, but presambly Kassian was all Vancouver was willing to trade him for that Regier was willing to give up.

Hodgson has been solid in his 3 games with us, and I especially like his defensive play. That's something we've badly lacked at center on the top 6 since we lost Drury.

• Like (+1) 1

I thought until Kassian's goal that the game was pretty much a push between Hodger and Kassian. Hodger created a number of scoring chances that didn't get cashed, while Kassian made some decent but not earthshattering checks and picked up an assist that was fairly incidental to Booth's goal. Kassian's goal gave him the edge IMHO. Overall I think both teams got last night what they were hoping to get out of the guy they traded for.

Definitely! Last night was my first look at Hodgson, from what I have been reading here I expected a little bit more, which is unfair on my part. Considering Kassian logged only 10:40 I thought he showed well. I hope to catch some more Canucks' games, it will be interesting to watch how Kassian progresses.

Umm....Darcy wanted a first but settled for Hodgson because Vancouver also valued the pick more. According to our boardly sources.

And yes....would rather have Pyatt at $1 million over Stafford at $4 million....

You guys try so hard to paint me in a corner. If some posters held the team as accountable as they try to catch me on something, we may have won a cup by now.

That last part may be the most outlandish statement ive ever seen you post.

All I know is Cody is plus 3 and has zero points, yet the team has 3 wins in a row since the deal.

Kassian has 2 points in a loss, and the Nucks are 1-1-1 with him in the lineup.

I'll take Cody's plus 3 and the 3 wins thank you very much.

PS Cody is essentially on a 9 game road trip right now. He is probably a little tired.

Edited by rickshaw

I agree, he's a very smart player, always seems to be in the right place. Kassian was noticeable because he for once decided to play like a wrecking ball. See if that keeps up. Plus he had 2 points and was a 0 in the +/- category... the guy has never been big on defense.

I realize its a different trade but the Canucks brass has said it targeted Gragnani last trade deadline but couldn't pry him out of Buffalo. Apparently he's been on their radar for a while. They see him becoming a much better player than he's shown in Buffalo and the way they played him last night against the sabres I could see this happening.

Hodgson has shown some flair in the first few games and I'm looking forward to him and Ennis teaming up. I'm a bit worried about his previous back problem...All said, I wish we had a chance to see what Kassian-Adam-Foligno could've done. They looked like a potent combination. But no,

our coaching staff knows better.

Hits needs to become a offical stat tracked BY the NHL instead of tracked by the in house stats teams

They are. They're recorded by the off-ice official crew, which are employed by the NHL. The NHL has a definition of what a "recordable hit" is and even distributes video and commentary during the pre-season, but hits are easily the most subjective stat (with give/takeaways probably being second.)

They are. They're recorded by the off-ice official crew, which are employed by the NHL. The NHL has a definition of what a "recordable hit" is and even distributes video and commentary during the pre-season, but hits are easily the most subjective stat (with give/takeaways probably being second.)

Interesting.

Hey guys, I'm from Vancouver and hate this trade for Canucks, so i decided to switch team huehuehue.

From watching Hodgson since 08, you guys will be amazed by him soon ;D

Welcome aboard. I'm going to be patient with Cody. From what I saw of him playing in a Vancouver uni he impressed me. Haven't seen much yet in a sabres uni but as he gets more comfortable with his role here I'm sure he'll fit in. I won't lie. I think we need what Zack brings in terms of toughness and grit and size as much as we need centremen.

Edited by bunomatic

Hey guys, I'm from Vancouver and hate this trade for Canucks, so i decided to switch team huehuehue.

From watching Hodgson since 08, you guys will be amazed by him soon ;D

i still can't get over what you guys did to your own city after losing the cup. was it fun?