Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

If both players have an even chance of developing to their potential, Game Theory says we have the best chance of winning this trade:

If Both fully develop, we win because we have a True #1 Center, and those are more valuable than power forwards, even Lucic.

If Cody Develops and Zack does not, obviously we win

If neither develop, we win because without any further development, Cody is already a decent third line center, Zack is just a fourth line body.

And of course, the third option is that Zack develops in the Neely-Lucic style and Cody is stuck on the third line as a placeholder center. In this case we lose.

We'll all know by 2015!

I like the trade a lot. That being said, you are way off base with the above comment . Neither Tropp or Foligno have anywhere near the offensive skills that Kassian brings to the table. Unless there is a dramatic change in their development, Foligno and Tropp are both bottom 6 guys.

You do know that the NHL holds a lottery prior to the draft, correct?

Yes but rarely in this kind of circumstance does it not go to a team so amazingly pathetic as the Blue Jackets. I believe the lottery works so that the worse team has a higher chance of a higher pick, hence my prediction.

as the old saying goes, the team that gets the best player wins the trade. i think that the sabres won the trade, both near-term and long-term.

The Sabs traded a decent young player for another one. Hope it works out.

correct. both teams got something that they needed.

It's safe to say I've watched more 'Nuck games than anyone else here

great post. but rickshaw may have something to say about that piece. (at least, i think richshaw is a vancouver guy?)

So, what's it going to be? Hods? Hodsies? Hot Hod? Hoddies? Hod the Bod?
Wait til you see CoHo bring the mo-jo with his KoHo in slo-mo.

GO SABRES!!!

:worthy:

I hate to get all TSC, but Kassian looked confused to me as he went along, as if he were getting mixed messages. He was sent back down to work on his game, and he was brought up to be physical.

I said before, and Chz brought this up somewhere today, but I think he was seduced into trying to drop the bruiser rep he had coming in. Whether this was his idea, his agent's, or the coaching staff's, who knows, but his role for the Sabres seems to have been indistinct and overwhelming at the same time.

i don't dismiss this theory out of hand. it will be interesting to see what he does with his game in vancouver; it will provide perhaps a testing ground for some of the chief theories of TSC (team storm cloud, btw) -- that lindy "breaks" young players and stifles individual style for the sake of exalting his team's system of play.

if kassian goes to vancouver and becomes a bruising and punishing ~20 goal scorer who plays in the top 6 and strikes fear in the heart of defensemen, then we may have compelling proof that lindy is, or has become, a fatally flawed coach.

i don't think that this is what will happen, though. i think kassian will develop into a decent/good nhl player whose play resembles what we have seen to date. no shame in that.

He's big and tough blah blah but what good is that if he doesn't use it? You can't tell me you honestly thought he was contributing ANYTHING to the team. Like at all.

In summation, We got better, you all are crazy for thinking Kassian is good, and I like Nachos.

loved this - good to see you on the board.

If both players have an even chance of developing to their potential, Game Theory says we have the best chance of winning this trade:

If Both fully develop, we win because we have a True #1 Center, and those are more valuable than power forwards, even Lucic.

If neither develop, we win because without any further development, Cody is already a decent third line center, Zack is just a fourth line body.

And of course, the third option is that Zack develops in the Neely-Lucic style and Cody is stuck on the third line as a placeholder center. In this case we lose.

We'll all know by 2015!

Interesting on the breakdown yesterday the guys were saying that this is a dangerous game by the Nucks as going for the 'Boston are successful so we'll be like them' mould doesn't always work. A little bit of concern thats what their trying.

As an aside, I hope both players turn out good, but Hodgson fits our needs better.

I go back to a few weeks ago when he was asked if he was told to stop fighting and responded "you're not to coach" and stormed off. That there told be that Lindy got into his head and tried to change him. The Sabres never knew what to do with Kassian and Vancouver will benefit from it.

Except he was playing for the Amerks that night.

Kassian started off the year in Rochester the same way he ended there, not being Zack Kassian.

We'll all know by 2015!

I'd disagree with this.

Yes but rarely in this kind of circumstance does it not go to a team so amazingly pathetic as the Blue Jackets. I believe the lottery works so that the worse team has a higher chance of a higher pick, hence my prediction.

It doesn't matter how many points a team has when it comes to determining their chances of winning the lottery. If you finish last with 2 points or finish last with 60 points, you still have the same odds. These are the odds from last year. I don't think it changes from year to year, so the CBJ have a 25% chance of having their ball drawn, but they also maintain the #1 spot if none of the next 4 teams wins the lottery as no team can move up more than 4 spots.

Edmonton - 25.0%

Colorado – 18.8%

Florida – 14.2%

N.Y. Islanders - 10.7%

Ottawa – 8.1%

Atlanta – 6.2%

Columbus – 4.7%

New Jersey - 3.6%

Boston (from Toronto) - 2.7%

Minnesota – 2.1%

Colorado (conditional/optional from St. Louis) - 1.5%

Carolina – 1.1%

Calgary – 0.8%

Dallas – 0.5%

It doesn't matter how many points a team has when it comes to determining their chances of winning the lottery. If you finish last with 2 points or finish last with 60 points, you still have the same odds. These are the odds from last year. I don't think it changes from year to year, so the CBJ have a 25% chance of having their ball drawn, but they also maintain the #1 spot if none of the next 4 teams wins the lottery as no team can move up more than 4 spots.

Edmonton - 25.0%

Colorado – 18.8%

Florida – 14.2%

N.Y. Islanders - 10.7%

Ottawa – 8.1%

Atlanta – 6.2%

Columbus – 4.7%

New Jersey - 3.6%

Minnesota – 2.1%

Carolina – 1.1%

Calgary – 0.8%

Dallas – 0.5%

No club will move down more than one position as a result of the Draft Lottery.

Edmonton - 25.0%

Colorado – 18.8%

Florida – 14.2%

N.Y. Islanders - 10.7%

Ottawa – 8.1%

Atlanta – 6.2%

Columbus – 4.7%

New Jersey - 3.6%

Minnesota – 2.1%

Carolina – 1.1%

Calgary – 0.8%

Dallas – 0.5%

Thanks for that, I still think going for a no.1 pick is a bad idea for the Sabres. I'd play the season normally and see where we land. Maybe try some new styles, focus on having fun rather than desperately winning or losing to plan for the draft. Sounds stupid but it might work for the guys who have struggled this season, especially Leino.

I know that. I'm not sure what your point is.

Possibly to inform me. :D

Kinda interesting behind-the-scenes bit: the conference call to the league informing of the trade.

Am I seeing this right? That guy was using the hockeydatabase website? Instead of having their own database of players, a league rep has to go to a webpage with a bunch of ads? That's classic NHL right there.

Interesting stuff though.

If Kass turns out to be Cam Neely it'll be utterly heartbreaking. Anyway, late night ramble and all.

And what if Hodgson turns into Mark Messier (or insert the name of whichever great 80s/90s center you'd like)?

• Like (+1) 1

Does Hodgson go into Line 2 and take over for Ennis who i believe has been playing the best hockey out of anyone outside of pommer?

What do the lines look like now? The fact is that with Goose and Kassian gone, we got smaller, already on a team that lacked toughness which have been in many discussions on this website.

I go back to a few weeks ago when he was asked if he was told to stop fighting and responded "you're not to coach" and stormed off. That there told be that Lindy got into his head and tried to change him. The Sabres never knew what to do with Kassian and Vancouver will benefit from it.

Yes, I'm sure it was all Ruff's fault. I'm sure it was nothing to do with being pissed off about a reporter basically telling him how he's supposed to play. Personally, if somebody who knew very little about my job started telling me what I was supposed to be, how I was supposed to be working, I'd be pretty annoyed too.

And who says Vancouver will know how to use him? I spent some time reading Canucks' forums last night, and one of the interesting things that came out was a particular criticism of Vigneault: he's brutal on young players and defensive responsibility. Seeing as one of the criticisms of Ruff is that he has too short of a leash with young players, it'll be fascinating to watch if Vigneault is any better for Kassian's development.

Am I seeing this right? That guy was using the hockeydatabase website? Instead of having their own database of players, a league rep has to go to a webpage with a bunch of ads? That's classic NHL right there.

Interesting stuff though.

And what if Hodgson turns into Mark Messier (or insert the name of whichever great 80s/90s center you'd like)?

He probably had facebook open and had to switch when the camera got turned on....

Does Hodgson go into Line 2 and take over for Ennis who i believe has been playing the best hockey out of anyone outside of pommer?

What do the lines look like now? The fact is that with Goose and Kassian gone, we got smaller, already on a team that lacked toughness which have been in many discussions on this website.

Personally, I'd put him in the top 6. I don't actually expect that to happen though. My guess as to what will happen:

Vanek-Roy-Pominville (ugh)

Leino-Ennis-Stafford

Gerbe-Hodgson-Kaleta

Tropp-Ellis-Boyes

On second thought, I would've be shocked to see Hodgson and Ennis flipped. With Hodgson's shot maybe he could be Leino's Briere here. Personally I'd like to see Ennis on top, Hodgson #2, Roy on the 3rd line, but I don't expect it.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Personally, I'd put him in the top 6. I don't actually expect that to happen though. My guess as to what will happen:

Leino-Ennis-Stafford

Gerbe-Hodgson-Kaleta

Tropp-Ellis-Boyes

When the Sabres acquired Bernier - Lindy put him on line #1 the 1st game. I expect the same with Cody.

When the Sabres acquired Bernier - Lindy put him on line #1 the 1st game. I expect the same with Cody.

"Welcome to the team. Now here's a nice gift for you, you get to skate next to the best pure goal scorer."

After that initial rush, it may change, but you're absolutely right.

Yes, I'm sure it was all Ruff's fault. I'm sure it was nothing to do with being pissed off about a reporter basically telling him how he's supposed to play. Personally, if somebody who knew very little about my job started telling me what I was supposed to be, how I was supposed to be working, I'd be pretty annoyed too.

And who says Vancouver will know how to use him? I spent some time reading Canucks' forums last night, and one of the interesting things that came out was a particular criticism of Vigneault: he's brutal on young players and defensive responsibility. Seeing as one of the criticisms of Ruff is that he has too short of a leash with young players, it'll be fascinating to watch if Vigneault is any better for Kassian's development.

Funny how that works when you step outside of the Sabres bubble. Ruff was so bad with Myers as a young kid he won the Calder. This Hodgon has an outside shot at the Calder. Interesting to see how he adapts. I heard he has been playing his best hockey as of late.

Short term we are a winner, trade a high level prospect who is floundering for another high level prospect who is already prodcuing at the NHL level and fills a big need.

Long term: time will tell but Hodgson's trajectory right now is better.

Leino-Ennis-Stafford

Gerbe-Hodgson-Kaleta

Tropp-Ellis-Boyes

On second thought, I would've be shocked to see Hodgson and Ennis flipped. With Hodgson's shot maybe he could be Leino's Briere here. Personally I'd like to see Ennis on top, Hodgson #2, Roy on the 3rd line, but I don't expect it.

Why not play with Vanek? What other center in Buffalo now has had any chemistry with him?

Call it First line Second line, whatever.

Pominville and Roy have been playing well together lately. Through a wing with them and one with Hodgson and Vanek and see how it works.

Edited by Who Else?

Why not play with Vanek? What other center in Buffalo now has had any chemistry with him?

Call it First line Second line, whatever.

Pominville and Roy have been playing well together lately. Through a wing with them and one with Hodgson and Vanek and see how it works.

First, that lineup was what I expect to happen, not what i want to happen. However, SDS brought up a good point and I think there's a decent chance he gets a shot with Vanek. I'd like to see Ennis get a chance with Vanek and Pominville, but I won't complain if it's Hodgson...basically, I want Roy off that line. For the first time in my life I'm actually excited about a western road trip, just to see how this works out.

This is a pretty neat thread over at the Canucks board where a guy re-caps fans reactions in real time as the news of the trade broke. First its elation that Kassian is coming, then things go apeshit when they hear who is going the other way. http://forum.canucks.com/topic/324306-humor-recapping-the-minute-by-minute-reaction-to-the-hodgson-deal-a-rollercoaster-in-20-minutes/

Edited by Claude_Verret

Funny how that works when you step outside of the Sabres bubble. Ruff was so bad with Myers as a young kid he won the Calder. This Hodgon has an outside shot at the Calder. Interesting to see how he adapts. I heard he has been playing his best hockey as of late.

Short term we are a winner, trade a high level prospect who is floundering for another high level prospect who is already prodcuing at the NHL level and fills a big need.

Long term: time will tell but Hodgson's trajectory right now is better.

I wonder how the voters would react if he somehow found instant chemistry with Vanek and took off. I really wouldn't mind if he snunk into that Calder race.