Vanek benching

JJFIVEOH

So it's gotten to the point where there's only three players left who still play for Lindy. Gerbe, Pominville and Vanek. Vanek has gotten a few untimely penalties lately although I think a couple have been rather questionable. So Lindy responds by benching Vanek. Are you kidding me? Vanek has done his best to bail out this pathetic team all year, the least he could ask for is the penalty kill to bail him out. If Vanek deserves to be benched for penalties then Roy, Stafford and Boyes deserve to be scratched for the remainder of the season just for being completely inept. Most of the team has given up playing for Lindy and he's going to go out of his way to alienate one of the few players who still put out? Just want to say atta boy Lindy, you sure have your priorities straight.

Rant over.

So it's gotten to the point where there's only three players left who still play for Lindy. Gerbe, Pominville and Vanek. Vanek has gotten a few untimely penalties lately although I think a couple have been rather questionable. So Lindy responds by benching Vanek. Are you kidding me? Vanek has done his best to bail out this pathetic team all year, the least he could ask for is the penalty kill to bail him out. If Vanek deserves to be benched for penalties then Roy, Stafford and Boyes deserve to be scratched for the remainder of the season just for being completely inept. Most of the team has given up playing for Lindy and he's going to go out of his way to alienate one of the few players who still put out? Just want to say atta boy Lindy, you sure have your priorities straight.

Rant over.

If I were the GM I would have fired him on the spot. Literally, called down from the owners box and fired him and would have told him to leave the bench and arena immediately. IMHO, you never send a message by benching, arguably, your best player. You chew his ass out in private if you want, but you never want to try to loose a game, or make it look obvious that you are.

They were saying on tv he might be hurt, but after the game i think ruff came out and said he punished him a little bit.

Ok, I saw him go down pretty hard behind the net in the second and with how he was out just a little while ago I guess I just thought it might be injury related...........Thanks for clearing it up man.

If I heard it correctly, Ruff railed on about the stupid penalties and apparently Vanek was his first casualty of a new found intolerance for them.

I get what he's trying to do but Vanek is a lousy first choice for bringing the hammer down. No sense breaking down one of the few that aren't mailing it in.

Yup, Lindy said he was sending a message and that he's had talks with Vanek about his penalties. Maybe he figured he was wasting his time trying to send a message to the floaters. If you know you're losing (or already lost) your team, don't go pissing off what's left!

Yup, Lindy said he was sending a message and that he's had talks with Vanek about his penalties. Maybe he figured he was wasting his time trying to send a message to the floaters. If you know you're losing (or already lost) your team, don't go pissing off what's left!

This is deja vu. Ruff not going as hard on certain guys as he does with others, and all we can guess is, he knows which guys will listen and which ones won't. But the same exact elephant sits under the table in discussions like this. Basically, if you have players that don't listen, either they need to go or YOU do (as coach). There should be NO third option that involves both of you staying. The fact that this third option continues year after agonizing year makes me respect Lindy Ruff less and less.

Rant over.

I think more players are still playing than just 26, 42 & 29. I think most of the D are putting forth effort and guys like Ennis, Kassian, and others haven't mailed it in. It just feels like it's a perfect storm of ineptitude, apathy, and over compensation by the players who are doing the right things that's got this team where it is at. Not that it's news, but a shakeup is needed. If I were Ted & Terry, I would just eliminate any room for error and make wholesale changes with both players and Lindy/Darcy. Find someone who's known to build organizations and give them the reigns, sooner rather than later.

I think this whole topic belongs in weave's "losing plan" thread. I understand the benching (kinda) but why TF does Vanek have to earn his way back to the first line? What a load of ch!t. What, is he a kid that has to prove himself? Have others earned it more? The more I think about this whole thing, it really feels like they are trying to lose. They have to be, don't they? I mean, Lindy couldn't be that out of touch, could he?.. could he?

(I wish I could measure Ghost's blood pressure as he reads this)

I think more players are still playing than just 26, 42 & 29. I think most of the D are putting forth effort and guys like Ennis, Kassian, and others haven't mailed it in. It just feels like it's a perfect storm of ineptitude, apathy, and over compensation by the players who are doing the right things that's got this team where it is at. Not that it's news, but a shakeup is needed. If I were Ted & Terry, I would just eliminate any room for error and make wholesale changes with both players and Lindy/Darcy. Find someone who's known to build organizations and give them the reigns, sooner rather than later.

I was pointing out the obvious ones. Yes I know there are others who actually care, but the point was that list seems to be getting smaller and smaller and Lindy is foolish to be alienating the few he has left.

Vanek needs to tell t pegs he is availble to be traded if it helps the team. (he may want to tell him he would consider blending a lower salary number with a contract extension as part of a deal to go to the right team) It would probably do Lindy a world of good if Vanek left. He has been reaming Vanek out publically for years.I. am worried about Lindy's health. All Vanek has done in response to the abuse is put up 25-30 +numbers while playing on a very average team, that has yet to replace critical pieces, including a center , that left four years ago.A team that cannot figure out how to reconstruct the pp they used to have.Lindy is a bully... .he has yet to learn that yelling at people in public does not make a player better, it just makes them not want to play for you.Vanek is as hard on himself as any player on this team. He probably plays hurt more often than most players on the roster..You do not make a personality like Vanek better by yelling. It probably has more of a negative impact. You make him better by surrounding him with talent capable of making it fun to play the game. AGAIN!

I think this whole topic belongs in weave's "losing plan" thread. I understand the benching (kinda) but why TF does Vanek have to earn his way back to the first line? What a load of ch!t. What, is he a kid that has to prove himself? Have others earned it more? The more I think about this whole thing, it really feels like they are trying to lose. They have to be, don't they? I mean, Lindy couldn't be that out of touch, could he?.. could he?

(I wish I could measure Ghost's blood pressure as he reads this)

yes he is...that out of touch...

I was pointing out the obvious ones. Yes I know there are others who actually care, but the point was that list seems to be getting smaller and smaller and Lindy is foolish to be alienating the few he has left.

Agreed. I think he's handled Vanek foolishly from the on set of his career.

Clearly Ruff is at the end of his rope. His line juggling and mismanagement of his team have confounded me for quite some time. Now he benches one of the only guys that actually put their body on the line to succeed but doesn't bench Roysie when he continually screws up taking lazy penalties and turning over the puck. The other night ( I think it was the Philly game ) Roy took a tripping penalty behind the Flyers net. The guy is a tool. I hope Regier loses sleep at night thinking about this collection of players ( I won't call them a team )he's assembled.

Just another idiotic move by an idiot coach, to sit your teams top goal scorer (I know Pommers has 1 more goal) for more than a half a period when you're fighting for your playoff life for a penalty that was marginal at best. Then to make matters even worse he only gave Ennis 1 more shift (no idea why) after he sat Vanek. When Roy takes his next Stupid penalty, will Lindy sit him ? I doubt it very much. I may get redundant in saying this, but Lindy has to go.

You are seriously missing the point. You don't bench Roy because you are hoping he plays well enough to get traded for something better than an old zamboni.. Vanek isn't going anywhere, neither is Ennis, so they can sit.

In theory I don't have a problem with the benching of Vanek, the penalties are stupid. Still, there are other plays I would bench first for being equally as stupid or worse on the ice... I guess you can't bench everyone.

You are seriously missing the point. You don't bench Roy because you are hoping he plays well enough to get traded for something better than an old zamboni.. Vanek isn't going anywhere, neither is Ennis, so they can sit.

In theory I don't have a problem with the benching of Vanek, the penalties are stupid. Still, there are other plays I would bench first for being equally as stupid or worse on the ice... I guess you can't bench everyone.

This was not the 1st time Vanek has been singled out, nor Ennis, It's when you do things like bench 1 player for something and not bench another player for the same thing, is when you start losing the team, this is nothing new for Lindy, he has always had favorites and used double standards, which has led to where he is now, with no control over his team. If your boss shits on you for doing something and allows a co worker to do the same thing without any repercussions, are you going to work hard for him ? This team will never play for him, even his "pet" Miller said how calm and organized it seemed when Patrick was in control behind the bench. During the Flyers game did it seem like Lindy had any control of the bench or even himself ?

LOL is that the new reason we've allowed ourselves to believe when we see Roy ###### up and Lindy send him out on the very next shift? It's now because we're shopping him....yesssss, yesssss, shopping him.... I like it.

Mike Harrington @BNHarrington

Gaustad and Kaleta lead #Sabres forwards in TOI with 13:16 through two periods. They've been good today but still.... Lindy?

Mike Harrington @BNHarrington

All -- i get that 28/36 playing Malkin line.....just saying the big guns don't play enough and other teams checkers don't always lead in TOI

Vanek is like 2nd on our team in PIM and he doesn't have a single fighting major or 10 minute misconduct. IMO the benching is a month or 2 late

I like how Lindy articulated why the penalty like Vanek's was called. He wasn't blaming the ref, but making his player accountable. I completely disagree with how he handled it. I'm starting to feel sorry for Vanek. If it is at all possible to empathize with an uber-rich pro player. Either Vanek or Lindy needs to go, for this guys career. Lindy made his bed with Roy, Pegula said he ain't going anywhere. So please Buffalo let this guy off the hook.

Archived