What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

I'm surprised that it's not that hot because Tabasco habanero is no joke.

That's a great idea with the vodka. I've got some peppers I'm going to try that with.

Just a few dashes.

And my forehead is sweating so........ FWIW

As for infusing vodka, slice the peppers in half so the insides are exposed. And sample daily to monitor heat and flavor. I've had vodkas that were infused over weeks. Alcohol is a very efficient solvent for the oils that carry the heat. Long infusions get HOT! Really hot.

Just a few dashes.

And my forehead is sweating so........ FWIW

As for infusing vodka, slice the peppers in half so the insides are exposed. And sample daily to monitor heat and flavor. I've had vodkas that were infused over weeks. Alcohol is a very efficient solvent for the oils that carry the heat. Long infusions get HOT! Really hot.

I have some old dried peppers I'll probably use. I know I won't be vigilant so I'm thinking these will be better for me. Maybe I'll use bacon vodka too.

[/drool]

I have some old dried peppers I'll probably use. I know I won't be vigilant so I'm thinking these will be better for me. Maybe I'll use bacon vodka too.

[/drool]

FYI, dried peppers will stain the vodka. It will not be colorless. I'm sure it will taste fine though. Do you recall what type of peppers they are?

chili-bacon vodka. Oh my.

*swoons*

Edited by weave

FYI, dried peppers will stain the vodka. It will not be colorless. I'm sure it will taste fine though. Do you recall what type of peppers they are?

chili-bacon vodka. Oh my.

*swoons*

I don't know what kind they are. Got a big bag of different peppers from someone at work who grew too many for them to eat. Felt like a drug deal.

I don't know what kind they are. Got a big bag of different peppers from someone at work who grew too many for them to eat. Felt like a drug deal.

Heh, I have a bag of haberno that felt the same way.

So a friend of mine sent me a 1-week trial of Blue Apron for xmas, and I made the first dish the other day. The concept is BA is a weekly food service where they send you ingredients for 3+ dishes and 3+ days a week for 2+ people (there's varying plans). What you get is a cooler box with fresh produce and meat and various other ingredients (nuts, spices, grains, etc.) in the correct proportions for each of the recipes. You have to do some of the prep work (dice an apple, slice Brussels sprouts, etc.) and then you make the dish according to a well-written recipe. The dish was roasted Brussels sprout salad with freekah (a grain like farro or barley) and was simply put, awesome. I'm making Tom Yum Soup tonight and a roasted butter-nut squash casserole either tonight or tomorrow.

So the food was awesome, but I'm not sure I could do it every week since I have trouble finding the time to cook. You can skip weeks, so I've skipped a bunch and I may do it once a month or so. If I were just learning to cook or had more time (and was a young professional with $$), I'd be all over this service. The recipes are well illustrated and having everything pre-measured is very easy. It's nothing that you can't do yourself (for a fair bit less money and more time), but it gets you to try new things too. I'm on the vegetarian plan so the dishes are wife-compatible but they allow you to select what meats you'd like (beef, pork, lamb, fish, shellfish, chicken).

This is the recipe for the Tom Yum for tonight:

http://www.blueapron.com/recipes/vegetarian-tom-yum-soup-with-napa-cabbage-tofu

Edited by MattPie

Wow, weave... that's a serious drink you've got there!

Was going to post this last night but SS was down for the count:

http://www.skinnytas...ilada-bake.html

Joke all you want about quinoa and hippie food, but this sh!t is tasty.

Recipe looks incredible. Since I love to cook and being a vegetarian i'll be trying this out (with vegetable stock of course).

Recipe looks incredible. Since I love to cook and being a vegetarian i'll be trying this out (with vegetable stock of course).

I've made it twice now, and it really is good (maybe even better as leftovers!). I would double the enchilada sauce, though -- as written it didn't seem like quite enough.

Taking a break from whiskey to try Veev vodka tonight (http://veevlife.com/veev). Has a hint of flavor from the acai berry infusion, but it's very light and not at all artificial-tasting like those nasty Pinnacle flavors. Smooth enough to sip at, too.

(Although it's clearly not as good as whatever Yuri has gotten into tonight!)

Taking a break from whiskey to try Veev vodka tonight (http://veevlife.com/veev). Has a hint of flavor from the acai berry infusion, but it's very light and not at all artificial-tasting like those nasty Pinnacle flavors. Smooth enough to sip at, too.

(Although it's clearly not as good as whatever Yuri has gotten into tonight!)

I just finished a 24oz Pabst, and drank two more before that, so I'm not needing to go to the store to buy more. That's about a six pack of Pabst. That's about right for me. Do I wish I had some fancy Vodka to sip? Yes.

I also just heated up some homemade borscht. I made it vegetarian, because I didn't have any beef stew meat, and I don't mind going vegetarian during lean times. Beans are interesting. I'll tell you what. I'll never be vegetarian, I don't think, but I am practicing and seriously considering not eating pork as a routine. I picked up the Bible, by chance, and scanned a verse about how Jesus was like, hey, those rules don't apply to me. Anyway, I've noticed not feeling great after eating pork, so I looked into it some more.

Important to me was finding a substitute for bacon, and I fashioned a sort of mushroom bacon, by marinating mushrooms, and baking them. The key ingredient is smoked paprika. That gives it the smoky flavor. The bacon turned out good, and the things that I was reading about pork reinforced my decision.

Sometimes, you just want to feel good about yourself, like you're doing something good. For example, not eating pork, or not watching football for a week. It feels good. I guess it sets me apart. Whoo hoo.

I just finished a 24oz Pabst, and drank two more before that, so I'm not needing to go to the store to buy more. That's about a six pack of Pabst. That's about right for me. Do I wish I had some fancy Vodka to sip? Yes.

I also just heated up some homemade borscht. I made it vegetarian, because I didn't have any beef stew meat, and I don't mind going vegetarian during lean times. Beans are interesting. I'll tell you what. I'll never be vegetarian, I don't think, but I am practicing and seriously considering not eating pork as a routine. I picked up the Bible, by chance, and scanned a verse about how Jesus was like, hey, those rules don't apply to me. Anyway, I've noticed not feeling great after eating pork, so I looked into it some more.

Important to me was finding a substitute for bacon, and I fashioned a sort of mushroom bacon, by marinating mushrooms, and baking them. The key ingredient is smoked paprika. That gives it the smoky flavor. The bacon turned out good, and the things that I was reading about pork reinforced my decision.

Sometimes, you just want to feel good about yourself, like you're doing something good. For example, not eating pork, or not watching football for a week. It feels good. I guess it sets me apart. Whoo hoo.

Ever tried making coconut bacon?

http://www.fettlevegan.com/recipes/coconut-bacon

I haven't (yet), and I don't expect it'd taste exactly the same but am incredibly curious to find out. You can also buy it here rather than make it:

http://rations.bigcartel.com/product/phoney-baloney-s-coconut-bacon

Edited by biodork

Ever tried making coconut bacon?

http://www.fettleveg...s/coconut-bacon

I haven't (yet), and I don't expect it'd taste exactly the same but am incredibly curious to find out.

That sounds sumptuous. I would love to try it. Some people don't like liquid smoke. I'm not sure why, but I read of a way just to get some wood smoking in a tight pot that achieved the same effect.

Coconut is a whole new world to me, more or less. I want to try it.

Finally, someone who understands the importance of paprika. I knew I liked you.

Finally, someone who understands the importance of paprika. I knew I liked you.

It's my quest for a pork substitute. I really appreciate some things with bacon, for example, linguine carbonara. The smoke paprika really fills the void when you add the requisite oil, salt, and a touch of sugar too.

That sounds sumptuous. I would love to try it. Some people don't like liquid smoke. I'm not sure why, but I read of a way just to get some wood smoking in a tight pot that achieved the same effect.

Maybe could use this instead of the oven for the smoky flavor?

http://www.cameronsproducts.com/mini-stovetop-smoker

I actually have one and it's pretty easy to use.

Edited by biodork

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3JetOoEngs, jump to 9:06. I'm sure there are other ways too.

My local Wegmans has tempeh bacon in the hippie section; if you try it on it's own merit it's not bad. It doesn't stand up well with real bacon though. I'm interested in this smoked paprika and mushroom idea now though. I have some good paprika in the spice drawer (both dolce and picante!) from making paella and Patatas Revolconas (Spainsih mashed potatoes with garlic and paprika). I could see that working well for mushrooms (or maybe Brussels sprouts).

So you've taken a shine to your dentist, have you?

Not really, no. I mean, he's a nice enough guy, but he seems like a bit of a stick-in-the-mud (and he's married). But I feel like he should add me to his Christmas list with how much business I give him. :p

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.