Burke on Regier

LabattBlue

I see Burke as someone who has no trouble getting GM's to deal with him, so I'm thinking they have no problems doing business with him. Most of us have voiced frustration over Darcy's apparent inability to make a deal at the right time.

I think I can justify my current opinion that other GM's don't like the way Darcy works.

That's fine. I'll just judge Darcy for myself. I don't like him.

"There are probably 10 GM's I've never made a deal with. Darcy Regier and I have made one deal, we're great friends and he is a good guy."

Sure, like I said, I have a good friend that offers me crap trades and I told him to leave me alone. We laugh at it, but it is a waste of time. I think he's a good guy, he just doesn't want to risk losing in a trade.

Would you have made the Kesler trade?

Kessel?

I am always in favor of dealing draft choices for proven franchise type players. A bird in the hand....

How about Phaneuff?

The point being, if something isn't working.....he is proactive. He traded prospects and picks for two difference making players. It doesn't always work, but if you take big enough chances...you will win the Cup in time. You may also be out of a job in short order, but when you value your own skills....that's a chance you are willing to take.

Yeah, Kessel.

You mean like dealing Byron and Butler for Regher?

Yes....if you look, I actually targeted Regehr as the 1 guy I wanted here on defense months before it happened.

That doesn't make up for the last 6 years of Dumont, Grier, Briere, Pyatt, Drury, McKee.......Vanek sheet.....Kotalik, Afinogenov, Hecht, Gaustad, Kalinin, Pominville contracts.......Boyes, Torres, Moore trades......yada yada yada....

PS....nice talking civil with you again. I'd hug you but I don't want the police involved.

Yes....if you look, I actually targeted Regehr as the 1 guy I wanted here on defense months before it happened.

That doesn't make up for the last 6 years of Dumont, Grier, Briere, Pyatt, Drury, McKee.......Vanek sheet.....Kotalik, Afinogenov, Hecht, Gaustad, Kalinin, Pominville contracts.......Boyes, Torres, Moore trades......yada yada yada....

PS....nice talking civil with you again. I'd hug you but I don't want the police involved.

Regier didn't have to trade 4 prospects to get Regehr though did he. I'm not saying he's done everything right and I'm not attached at the hip to him, but he's doing what he can to make the team better now and for the foreseable future (not that I don't want something done now. Just not blowing up the team to win a championship, then suck for 5 years.).

Regier didn't have to trade 4 prospects to get Regehr though did he. I'm not saying he's done everything right and I'm not attached at the hip to him, but he's doing what he can to make the team better now and for the foreseable future (not that I don't want something done now. Just not blowing up the team to win a championship, then suck for 5 years.).

He didn't have to trade 4 because Regehr wasn't 24, averaging 50 points, and 1 year removed from 37 powerplay points and 182 penalty minutes.

Now he wears the C. Maybe Regehr should be as well.

Seems to me like Burke is currently thinking more highly of his players than everyone else, as well. His team currently sits just one spot above Darcy's,.. out of the playoffs.

Might want to check the standings in say....oh....45 minutes.

Ottawa about to go to 5th

And the whole point came up because it looks like Toronto is making aplay with Anahiem to trump Buffalo

Might want to check the standings in say....oh....45 minutes.

Ottawa about to go to 5th

And the whole point came up because it looks like Toronto is making aplay with Anahiem to trump Buffalo

It wasn't bad enough that my battery died right after I posted that, but to wake up and see your spot on post accompanied by that avitar is just too much. I'm going back to bed.

I see Burke as someone who has no trouble getting GM's to deal with him, so I'm thinking they have no problems doing business with him. Most of us have voiced frustration over Darcy's apparent inability to make a deal at the right time.

I think I can justify my current opinion that other GM's don't like the way Darcy works.

Take a look at the 18 years it took to finally get Kaberle to Boston. Burke definitely has his troubles from time to time.

Take a look at the 18 years it took to finally get Kaberle to Boston. Burke definitely has his troubles from time to time.

If I am not mistaken Burke hasn't been around long enough for him to be blamed here. He didn't create the Kaberle contract and he was able to get rid of him not soon thereafter. I would give him a bit more credit on that one.

All I would say is that when Pegula was looking to buy the team he was interviewing other teams. I am sure that if there were problems with the Regier he would have heard something that bothered him enough to make a change. We know he heard about Ruff. We are not privy to the backroom workings of the NHL and speculation can be very dangerous. Having Burke say something about Regier could be pure gamesmanship.

The only thing I am going to judge Regier on is his ability to put together a quality team that can compete. I'm not going to worry if he's not making trades, etc. if being a GM were so easy we'd all be doing it and we're not. In fact, as far as I am aware, none of us are even in the hockey talent evaluation business. Do I want a trade? You betcha. But you have to find someone else who is willing to trade and a mid-season trade is difficult to pull off since people are their most level headed at that time and the on-ice product is clear to see. At trade deadline and in the offseason things become less clear and you have the chance to offload people.

He didn't have to trade 4 because Regehr wasn't 24, averaging 50 points, and 1 year removed from 37 powerplay points and 182 penalty minutes.

Now he wears the C. Maybe Regehr should be as well.

Well, I think Burke is a bit overrated as a GM. He seems like a good guy, but also a bit of a blowhard and he clearly enjoys media attention. He won in Anaheim after Pronger fell out of the sky and into his lap. He certainly fleeced Calgary on the Phaneuf deal, but I would ascribe that more to incredible incompetence in Calgary than to brilliant dealmaking by Burke. (I would have loved to see the Sabres make a play there but I don't think Calgary shopped him around much and in any case I don't think TG/LQ would've paid the $$ required.) The Kessel deal is a push at best.

Archived