Here we go...

1. Not believable

and/or

2. Not worthy of mention

???

Burke's on Regier

Lindy's ridin' Miller

Cat and Dogs sleeping together...

I'd say the two are opposites. DR overvalues his players and Burke undervalues other teams players. Not a good match for trading.

I just find it really strange that he would call any GM out by name, and the one name he does mention is Regier.

1. Not believable

and/or

2. Not worthy of mention

???

I just find it really strange that he would call any GM out by name, and the one name he does mention is Regier.

Oh none of the above, I just think it's interesting. I want to see where this goes.

Didn't GoDD have a thread about this a week ago?

In any case, we should all keep in mind that it's very much in Burke's interest at this particular time (i.e. when the Leafs and the Sabres will likely be fighting it out for one of the last couple of playoff spots) to make public statements that impair DR's ability to make a trade.

Didn't GoDD have a thread about this a week ago?

In any case, we should all keep in mind that it's very much in Burke's interest at this particular time (i.e. when the Leafs and the Sabres will likely be fighting it out for one of the last couple of playoff spots) to make public statements that impair DR's ability to make a trade.

If he did, I apologize. I didn't hear the sound bite or see the thread. Mods feel free to merge or delete.

Ok, in seriousness: What I heard this morning on GR was that Burke identified Regier as a GM who Burke doesn't like to make deals with (although he considers him a friend), not as a GM who others, league-wide, don't like to make deals with. I don't believe Burke's comments were so broad, at least not as reported by GR.

Ok, in seriousness: What I heard this morning on GR was that Burke identified Regier as a GM who Burke doesn't like to make deals with (although he considers him a friend), not as a GM who others, league-wide, don't like to make deals with. I don't believe Burke's comments were so broad, at least not as reported by GR.

That is what I heard. Burke was not speaking on behalf of all GM's. Just his dealings with Regier.

I heard the interview as well and I took Burke's comments to say that when he and Darcy talk trade, Darcy's position on player values is so different from Burke's that the conversation goes nowhere.

Burke mentioned in the interview that a GM that makes fair deals gets to make deals over and over with other GM's. And GM's that fleece or try to fleece other GM's get to make a deal maybe once and then never get to make a deal with that GM again. BUrke said it is in a GM's best interest to make fair deals. Burke mentioned that there are 10 GM's he hasn't ever made a deal with, and he's onyl made one deal with Darcy. IMO the implied message was that either 1. Darcy overvalues his players or 2. Darcy is always working to fleece someone.

Meh. Burke says without filter what is on his mind. I'm inclined to believe that it was less conspiracy against Darcy and more honest opinion.

In an interview(soundbite played on WGR), Burke called Regier out by name as a GM who you just can't make a deal with. LOL!

Anyone still want to hop on his bandwagon. Pegula and Black have to be astonished.

Burke said this about a year ago, WGR just looked up the audio clip and played it today. I guess the point remains the same lol but it's a old story.

If he did, I apologize. I didn't hear the sound bite or see the thread. Mods feel free to merge or delete.

I didn't start a thread.....I have mentioned it before and I think Bucky did an anon. implication of Regier......but I'm all for exposure of these guys.

I've used Burke as an example for years as someone who laughs at Darcy. I think a few years ago when the meetings were in Vegas, I said Brian Burke was at the Craps table, and Darcy was in the corner playing the penny slot machines.

Fire away.

I know it does. It was a mistake on my part, but then again, if Burke feels that way, do you think the majority of the GM's don't have that same impression?

For anyone that plays fantasy football or baseball, everyone knows the type of guy who will offer you Ryan Fitzpatrick for Tom Brady after week 2, or will pick up David Nelson off of waivers and package him with Hines Ward and offer them to you for Andre Johnson.

I can see a few in this thread who might be "that guy", but for the rest of us....how do you react to "that guy". It is a fantasy game where you may have $50, $100, $200 on th eline...and you are trying to rip me off? And I may even be your friend in some cases.

That's what Darcy is.....he's "That Guy".

I know it does. It was a mistake on my part, but then again, if Burke feels that way, do you think the majority of the GM's don't have that same impression?

We have to remember that Burke is like Bizzaro Darcy. I bet other GMs think Burke is kind of a prick. And maybe other GMs actually prefer the way Darcy operates to the way Burke does business.

We just don't know.

We have to remember that Burke is like Bizzaro Darcy. I bet other GMs think Burke is kind of a prick. And maybe other GMs actually prefer the way Darcy operates to the way Burke does business.

We just don't know.

I would take Burke/Wilson over Regier/Ruff in:

1) Bar fight

2) Poker Game

3) Drinking Contest

4) To Order my Food

5) Run Hockey Team

I would take Regier/Ruff to:

1) Fix my Microsoft Excel

2) Put my Dog on a Diet

3) Pick Out a Fine Chardonay

4) Find a Good Deal on a Prius

5) Learn How to Blend In

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:02 PM

snapback.pngDeLuca67, on Jul 5 2008, 12:46 PM, said:

I don't know if Regier is lazy as you seem to be implying. I am more disappointed in his inability to gauge the "market place" and his unwillingness to preempt any effects the "market place" may have on his team by being proactive and not waiting for the last minute to get things done. He makes it hard on himself and the franchise waiting till the last minute. Regier used to talk about "leverage" all the time. Since the new CBA he hasn't used that word as much. Maybe because with the younger free-agency and the emergence of the RFA market he has lost most of his leverage. Right now Miller and Pominville hold all the cards. They know the Sabres can't afford another public relations disaster. They also know the Sabres have no other options but to get them signed. I am interested to see what Bernier signs for. I wonder if he purposely priced himself out of Buffalo to force a deal. I have no facts to back that up. I'm just wondering out loud.

(Edit- Ghost saying this)

He isn't lazy....he doesn't take big enough chances to risk losing big time. The irony is, that has been his obvious downfall. By not signing star players to long term, high price contracts, they have all walked a year later for 50-100% more salary than they were willing to stay with Buffalo for less than 12 months previous. That is a fact.

I like to compare Darcy to the type of guy that goes to Las Vegas and ends up going to the Cher lookalike show and playing the 5 cent slot machines while some of his counterparts are at the craps and blackjack table playing with markers. Sure, you can lose a lot at the table, but you can win a lot as well.

I've said it before, but the best advice I was ever given was when I was an intern still in college working at a financial place for the summer. Someone just lost tons of money on a bond issue that didn't pay off and the brokers were arguing at the one partner who bought the issue because now all of their clients are going to go nuts on them for being invested in it.

The partner turns to me and said, "You can't expect to soar like an eagle and yet sh!t like a canary."

That sums up Darcy in a nutshell. He is so scared to make a big mistake that he will never take a big enough chance to give us a REAL shot at a championship. Anyone in any year can technically luck into one, but that is what we are left with. "Hoping" the hockey gods pull our card and everything goes right with every player playing up to their imagined expectations or beyond. Problem is, real life seldom works like that. Reality says Max won't score 40, Connolly won't play 80, Miller isn't Roy, Vanek isn't Bossy, and the defense isn't going to grow a set of nads just because we rented a set of nads in Rivet.

We just don't know.

I see Burke as someone who has no trouble getting GM's to deal with him, so I'm thinking they have no problems doing business with him. Most of us have voiced frustration over Darcy's apparent inability to make a deal at the right time.

I think I can justify my current opinion that other GM's don't like the way Darcy works.

I dont see any problems here, I would prefer that Regier fleece the other GMs. In fact with all the GM turn over, he should be able to consistantly fleece at least one or two a year. Or maybe he we should expect him to ship out some of our good players for average ones in return. I am sure Burke would love to do some trading then.

Archived