Time Warner/MSG deal not reached - no more coverage

Claude Balls

For those of you asking DirecTV Questions...

• If you switch, you'll need the Choice Extra package - that includes NBC Sports Network.
  • Keep in mind that their promo rate (34.99 per month) only includes your base package. It doesn't include feeds for DVR/Whole-Home DVR and additional receivers.
  • DirecTV charges you $6 for each receiver you have - and each TV has to have a receiver. Your first receiver they do not charge you for. So I have three receivers and pay $12 a month.
  • HD Access - technically you pay $10 per month for HD access, but they've said that anyone who has autopay gets free HD.
  • When you sign up online there's a part where they show you exactly how much it's going to cost you each and every month of your 24-month contract. Be sure to read that page so you understand what your bill will be once the promo ends.
  • To give you an idea, my package for an in-market subscriber (out of promotional period) would be $88 per month plus tax. That includes three HD DVR receivers and whole-home DVR service.

Price considerations aside - I love DirecTV. We've only occasionally had signal issues and that is only during an intense driving rain storm. A lot of people will tell you that they used to have satellite but they lost signal all the time - that means that their dish wasn't properly aligned. A well-aligned dish will continue to receive signals even in really bad weather. The whole-home DVR service is wonderful, allowing my to record on any of my three receivers and watch on any other receiver. The PQ is outstanding - MSG looks fantastic.

You can bundle your DirecTV service with some DSL providers depending on your area. For example, if you're in an area where FiOS is available you cannot bundle your DirecTV and Verizon services together. But... if Verizon is in your area but they don't have FiOS - you normally can bundle those services together. Same scenario with AT&T.

My parents have Time Warner Cable and I find that I prefer DirecTV in every area except one: Channel changing. The newer receivers are a lot better but they're still slower in changing channels that cable.

As someone else said - if you're going to sign up, find a friend who already has it and get their account number for a refer-a-friend credit. They get $100 and you get $100. Can't go wrong. If you can't' find someone - there's a lot of DirecTV people on the message board.

I was running the numbers yesterday. 1 DVR box and 2 HD boxes with standard service and whole house DVR is about 65/month.

Just signed up. Had time warner with HD, sports tier and road runner, no movie channels at all - monthly bill of $170.00, which included two HD DVR boxes.

With directv, bill will be 68.99/month for whole house DVR, choice extra package, all HD, 3 more HD boxes and one more standard box. I also got 3 free months of all movie channels and DirecTV cinema (whatever that is) all of which will be cancelled when the promotion ends. $68.99 is bill for first 12 months - it goes to $99.99 for month 13-24.

I saved $10.00 per month by using auto bill, which gives me the free HD access (this savings is included in the numbers above).

I bundled my package with verizon DSL, the only provider in my area. There service is 24.99/month for 12 months, plus they credit my directv account $10.00/month for 12 months. At the end of the 12 months, I can renew, and maybe get the $10.00 discount again. This $10.00 is NOT included in the numbers above.

So - instead of $170/month for time warner. I am paying $85/month for the first year, with a high of no more than $125/month for the second year. And I get another $10.00 off a month for 10 months for using a friends account, and so does he! So it is really $75.00/month for months 1-10, $85.00/month for months 11-12, and either $115 or 125/month for months 13-24, depending on whether I can get the Verizon DSL discount again.

They are installing the system Friday morning.

Thanks for cutting MSG, Time Warner - you just saved me a ton of money you dumb bastards! Now to tell my entire family to cut them off!

As of midnight last night, the Sabres will no longer be shown on MSG for Time Warner subscribers. This is such a joke. Time to switch to Direct TV for me. F**k Time Warner, all they do is raise rates and cut channels.

I'm sure this is in this thread already but I've not gotten that far.. I just rolled my eyes at this... they cut channels because the channels increase their rates.. which in turns raise our rates and TW is trying to keep costs in sync. MSG wanted to raise their cost to TW 50+% do you really want that added to the cost of your cable service? Of course not.. you've already said that... ya can't have it both ways... and FYI... as soon as the MSG contract is up with whatever service you go to you can rest assured they will increase the rate there too. Dish was first.. now MSG... anyone want to take bets on who is next? MSG is gonna price themselves out of the market completely if they aren't careful... just my humble opinion

Just signed up. Had time warner with HD, sports tier and road runner, no movie channels at all - monthly bill of $170.00, which included two HD DVR boxes.

With directv, bill will be 68.99/month for whole house DVR, choice extra package, all HD, 3 more HD boxes and one more standard box. I also got 3 free months of all movie channels and DirecTV cinema (whatever that is) all of which will be cancelled when the promotion ends. $68.99 is bill for first 12 months - it goes to $99.99 for month 13-24.

I saved $10.00 per month by using auto bill, which gives me the free HD access (this savings is included in the numbers above).

I bundled my package with verizon DSL, the only provider in my area. There service is 24.99/month for 12 months, plus they credit my directv account $10.00/month for 12 months. At the end of the 12 months, I can renew, and maybe get the $10.00 discount again. This $10.00 is NOT included in the numbers above.

So - instead of $170/month for time warner. I am paying $85/month for the first year, with a high of no more than $125/month for the second year. And I get another $10.00 off a month for 10 months for using a friends account, and so does he! So it is really $75.00/month for months 1-10, $85.00/month for months 11-12, and either $115 or 125/month for months 13-24, depending on whether I can get the Verizon DSL discount again.

They are installing the system Friday morning.

Thanks for cutting MSG, Time Warner - you just saved me a ton of money you dumb bastards! Now to tell my entire family to cut them off!

Are all these prices including taxes, surcharges, etc...????

For the record I am now out of my two year commitment to DirecTV. I pay $99.94 a month for Choice Extra+, a HD-DVR, another box, HD Extra package.

There are things to consider. You don't get service calls with DirecTV either, so you're on your own unless you pay the maintenance fee per month. They also don't replace equipment without it. I've not had an issue yet, but just telling you.

If you have RoadRunner your bill will go up if you drop cable. Not sure what it is.. but TWC offers the discount if you are bundling of course. So don't forget to tack in that extra $5/month on the equation.

See, in Rochester you don't have much fo a choice. FrontierDSL is awful, so TWC is the only option for Internet. Now, DirecTV is the only option for Sabres.. crazy how my free market society is lacking many options.

And definitely make sure you find a friend with DirecTV. Saving an extra $10/month for 10 months is huge for both you and them. If you can't find a friend let me know.. I can be your friend.

Are all these prices including taxes, surcharges, etc...????

Yes on Directv, no on verizon - I forgot to ask on verizon - on a bill of 24.99 I am anticipating less than $5.00 in taxes.

I had to pay $13 and change in up front taxes for the system and install - there are no other fees for install, and all equipment was free.

For the record I am now out of my two year commitment to DirecTV. I pay $99.94 a month for Choice Extra+, a HD-DVR, another box, HD Extra package.

There are things to consider. You don't get service calls with DirecTV either, so you're on your own unless you pay the maintenance fee per month. They also don't replace equipment without it. I've not had an issue yet, but just telling you.

If you have RoadRunner your bill will go up if you drop cable. Not sure what it is.. but TWC offers the discount if you are bundling of course. So don't forget to tack in that extra $5/month on the equation.

See, in Rochester you don't have much fo a choice. FrontierDSL is awful, so TWC is the only option for Internet. Now, DirecTV is the only option for Sabres.. crazy how my free market society is lacking many options.

And definitely make sure you find a friend with DirecTV. Saving an extra $10/month for 10 months is huge for both you and them. If you can't find a friend let me know.. I can be your friend.

Did you pay the maintenance fee? Did you ever use their service? Did you have any problems with equipment?

So how do you get a better plan?

You have to upgrade with Verizon or live with the "high" speed Internet. I thought I was going to save big when I moved from TW to Dish but honestly when you compare apples to apples the savings wasn't as great as I thought. But it was a savings at the end of the day

You have to upgrade with Verizon or live with the "high" speed Internet. I thought I was going to save big when I moved from TW to Dish but honestly when you compare apples to apples the savings wasn't as great as I thought. But it was a savings at the end of the day

Looks like enhanced DSL is available for $40.00/month, gives you 1.1-7 mbps download and 768kbps upload vs. .5-1.0 mbps download and 384 kbps upload.

May have to look into this.

Looks like enhanced DSL is available for $40.00/month, gives you 1.1-7 mbps download and 768kbps upload vs. .5-1.0 mbps download and 384 kbps upload.

May have to look into this.

Or keep TWC for Internet. I think the standalone price is 55 a month.

Yes on Directv, no on verizon - I forgot to ask on verizon - on a bill of 24.99 I am anticipating less than $5.00 in taxes.

I had to pay $13 and change in up front taxes for the system and install - there are no other fees for install, and all equipment was free.

Did you pay the maintenance fee? Did you ever use their service? Did you have any problems with equipment?

I pay the maintenance fee. Last summer the neighbors lawn service ran into my dish (mounted on the ground) and bent it. Directv sent someone out within a few days (longer than I was happy with) and replaced the dish...no charge (which I was happy with).

When I canceled my cable to purchase Directv, I kept the cable for internet service, $40.00 a month. If you are out of town like me, you just gotta do what you gotta do to watch the Sabres.

Korab, I hope you have a clear view of the southwest sky.

Very clear. Dish will go on the roof on back of the house - with the walk out basement in back and roof line it will be 50 feet in the air - clear sailing to the southwest.

Or keep TWC for Internet. I think the standalone price is 55 a month.

I am playing them against each other at the moment. I will let you know how it all works out. Need to factor in the the $10.00 off per month for bundling, which make it 30 vs. 55, not 40 vs. 55. If I can get them to knock roadrunner down to 30-35 I will stay.

Okay so I'm switching to Fios, regardless of the MSG Sabres thing, just cheaper and better.

I call TWC today to cancel and after three people they offer me free HBO for 12 months with no commitment.

I may order my Fios still but I have free HBO for a few days. lol.

Mind you I have to credit my roomies for yelling "Just get rid of them" in the background.

Okay so I'm switching to Fios, regardless of the MSG Sabres thing, just cheaper and better.

I call TWC today to cancel and after three people they offer me free HBO for 12 months with no commitment.

I may order my Fios still but I have free HBO for a few days. lol.

Mind you I have to credit my roomies for yelling "Just get rid of them" in the background.

I wish FIOS was available in the North Towns - you are so luckly! Someone I work with has the bundled package and just loves it.

Archived