2012 World Junior Championships

Bmwolf21

"That was the dumbest thing I've ever done in my hockey career," Armia, a first-rounder of the NHL's

Buffalo Sabres, said. "I don't know what happened there."

http://ca.sports.yah...orhockey-wp5644

From same article:

Czech Republic goalie Petr Mrazek did a fist pump after thwarting a Canadian penalty shot in the first period of a round-robin game, although fans in Edmonton liked his act much better when he was exulting after big saves and big goals against Team USA.

(1) Really? A fist pump after a save is demonstrative? Hell, good for Mrazek, and I don't care who it's against. I wish Millroth would fistpump after EVERY penalty shot save, whether a regular penalty shot or in a shootout.

(2) Notice the second clause of the quote. Notice how Canada acts when the US is playing...anyone.

From same article:

Czech Republic goalie Petr Mrazek did a fist pump after thwarting a Canadian penalty shot in the first period of a round-robin game, although fans in Edmonton liked his act much better when he was exulting after big saves and big goals against Team USA.

(1) Really? A fist pump after a save is demonstrative? Hell, good for Mrazek, and I don't care who it's against. I wish Millroth would fistpump after EVERY penalty shot save, whether a regular penalty shot or in a shootout.

(2) Notice the second clause of the quote. Notice how Canada acts when the US is playing...anyone.

Of course Canada had no problem with it - until it was showing up their guys.

I just thought Armia's celebration was stupid, considering he did it right in front of the Sweden bench, but apparently not a big deal to them:

The Swedes, in contrast, said like they somehow failed to notice Armia going right by their bench in celebration.

"I don't care about it so much," Sweden captain Johan Larsson said. "Maybe you in Canada care about it."

"I don't think we were paying that much attention to it," forward Rickard Rakell added. "After the game we had a laugh about it."

Of course Canada had no problem with it - until it was showing up their guys.

I just thought Armia's celebration was stupid, considering he did it right in front of the Sweden bench, but apparently not a big deal to them:

The Swedes, in contrast, said like they somehow failed to notice Armia going right by their bench in celebration.

"I don't care about it so much," Sweden captain Johan Larsson said. "Maybe you in Canada care about it."

"I don't think we were paying that much attention to it," forward Rickard Rakell added. "After the game we had a laugh about it."

I do appreciate Armia's humility afterwards, as well as the stupidity and/or ignorance of acting out in front of the Swedish bench. I was just stuck on a theme, there.

And as for the fistpumping goalie, well, I noticed Lundqvist doing something very similar after stopping Briere yesterday, and I really not only thought that it was fine, but also thought that it might be nice if his counterpart in Buffalo showed emotion like that once in a while.

Anyway, back to the WJC.

I do appreciate Armia's humility afterwards, as well as the stupidity and/or ignorance of acting out in front of the Swedish bench. I was just stuck on a theme, there.

And as for the fistpumping goalie, well, I noticed Lundqvist doing something very similar after stopping Briere yesterday, and I really not only thought that it was fine, but also thought that it might be nice if his counterpart in Buffalo showed emotion like that once in a while.

Anyway, back to the WJC.

What do you have against the WTF? wave?

When I am named Sports Czar I am going to make it mandatory that if hockey producers insist on showing the goalie going to the bench, they will be required to do so in a picture-in-picture format. I hate missing play because some

jackass producer switches cameras to something

stupid like that.

Can you also instruct your crew to keep the camera on developing scrums instead of aimlessly following the last player with the puck?

With Armia scoring again and a shoot out goal as well in a loss to sweeden how does he compare to other teams top prospects

Well, he's not as highly touted on the Finnish national team as Michael Granlund but he put together a much better WJC campaign this year than he did last year.

Can you also instruct your crew to keep the camera on developing scrums instead of aimlessly following the last player with the puck?

Pretty sure that this issue bothers me the most. By far.

Done. Pretty much the same issue. It looks like it is more about producers not following the play and action, and wanting to work in random crowd shots, players going off the ice, players no longer near the action....I call it the Versus effect - i.e., focus on everything BUT the damn game and action.

Anyway, back to the WJC.

You're not allowed to show emotion in Hockey at least not in buffalo. Sabres can't have guys who show character. Less fun more Pomminsteins.

You're not allowed to show emotion in Hockey at least not in buffalo. Sabres can't have guys who show character. Less fun more Pomminsteins.

Ever see Kaleta after a goal? Downright kooky, but he celebrates. That's just the first one who comes to mind on the team as presently comprised (which changes day-to-day).

Anyone watching the Canada v. Finland game? Trying to see how Arnia looks for Finland.

Candian goalie just made a crazy backhand save. unreal...

I hate seeing Canada succeed at international hockey :bag:

I watched it. Canada won 4-0. I thought Armia looked very solid in the loss. He didn't look lost at all. It's obviously tough to play against Canada, who have NHLers everywhere while Finland only has a few. He was solid the whole tournament. I thought he was the best player in the Sweden game, even without counting his goal. He was just attacking. He's very lively. His energy and play reminds me a lot of Alex Ovechkin (relax people, NOT skill, just energy level). During todays game, he had a scoring chance on a shift, when the shift ended, he went back to the bench. Shortly after, he was banging his stick on the boards because he wanted to get back out there. When he scores goal in the NHL i think he'll go as wild as Ovie does. Though, this observation could be mainly because he's only 18 years old.

I watched it. Canada won 4-0. I thought Armia looked very solid in the loss. He didn't look lost at all. It's obviously tough to play against Canada, who have NHLers everywhere while Finland only has a few. He was solid the whole tournament. I thought he was the best player in the Sweden game, even without counting his goal. He was just attacking. He's very lively. His energy and play reminds me a lot of Alex Ovechkin (relax people, NOT skill, just energy level). During todays game, he had a scoring chance on a shift, when the shift ended, he went back to the bench. Shortly after, he was banging his stick on the boards because he wanted to get back out there. When he scores goal in the NHL i think he'll go as wild as Ovie does. Though, this observation could be mainly because he's only 18 years old.

Good to hear.

So I'm sure this has been discussed before here, but how close would Armia be to coming to the US? How does it work with drafting Euros?

Good to hear.

So I'm sure this has been discussed before here, but how close would Armia be to coming to the US? How does it work with drafting Euros?

I'm pretty sure he can come over here whenever DR calls him too. DR said earlier last year that he was facing better competition staying where he was so there was no need for him to come over here.

I'm pretty sure he can come over here whenever DR calls him too. DR said earlier last year that he was facing better competition staying where he was so there was no need for him to come over here.

Is it that simple? That's how it works with all Euros? How does salary work?

He can come over but he's too young to play in the AHL. He's still 18. And he's playing in the top league in Finland against competition probably better than that in the AHL now, so he probably wouldn't benefit much from dominating the other teenagers in the CHL.

I wonder if he would have even fallen to the Sabres last summer if he'd play this well in last year's WJC. He basically stunk in last year's tournament.

All that said, he still has a long ways to go before he's an NHL player. He's got a ton of talent but there's no guarantee he'll make the most of it.

Love how that anthem sounds like a drinking song.

Yet so beautiful. Hehe

Edit: Was really skeptic about this years team, but they proved me wrong and I'm glad they did. After all those great teams throughout the recent years, this one brought it home were it belongs.

Archived