Stafford needs to go

Eleven

I've had it.

Look, I'm no huge MAG fan, but if we're going to start threads about shedding players, let's start shedding the ones who most need to get out of blue and gold sweaters.

Honestly, I have no idea why, after ONE decent (and only decent) season, Regier saw fit to give this floater a 4M contract. He does some stupid things during most games, and that's when he bothers to do anything at all. LIke years past, he won't reach for a puck that's three feet away from him (I guess that if it's not right on his tape, it's not worth going after).

Yeah, once in a while, he'll stick up for a teammate--most notably, Drury, when Staff was still fighting for a spot with the team. But generally, there is no effort, no heart, and whatever skill he has is wasted because he simply skates around.

Connolly 2.0 (but, to my knowledge, without the drinks).

Get rid of this guy ASAP. There is a team out there that thinks that Stafford is a good player who "just needs a change of scenery." Find that team, and make a trade.

EDIT: Yes, I saw the pass to Ennis. Nice. Freaking Korab could have made that pass. For that matter, KorabRules probably could have made that pass.

Edited by Eleven

Ok, so.....what your saying is that Stafford needs to go, right? :P

We all already are aware of this. Boyes can fill his spot when he comes back for the remainder of the season.

The sad thing is that Boyes probably can.

Amen. I was SO hoping we'd trade him last year, or right after last year, when his value was at an all-time high. I just wasn't buying the "he figured it out" line about him suddenly having a terrific work ethic because that's what it takes to make it in the NHL. (Funny coincidence that he'd "figure it out" in a contract year.)

And I've never forgiven him for his "we've got other guys for that" line about fighting. You're either a hockey player on this team or you're not.

Also, can we just once trade a guy when his value is high? Just once? Darcy needs some foresight. Afinogenov led the team in points after 2006 but it was clear even then that he wasn't a guy we'd count on the a Cup run. Instead of trading him, we re-signed him and by the time he left, his value was basically zero. What are the chances Stafford is untradeable in a year or two?

Amen. I was SO hoping we'd trade him last year, or right after last year, when his value was at an all-time high. I just wasn't buying the "he figured it out" line about him suddenly having a terrific work ethic because that's what it takes to make it in the NHL. (Funny coincidence that he'd "figure it out" in a contract year.)

And I've never forgiven him for his "we've got other guys for that" line about fighting. You're either a hockey player on this team or you're not.

Also, can we just once trade a guy when his value is high? Just once? Darcy needs some foresight. Afinogenov led the team in points after 2006 but it was clear even then that he wasn't a guy we'd count on the a Cup run. Instead of trading him, we re-signed him and by the time he left, his value was basically zero. What are the chances Stafford is untradeable in a year or two?

a year or two. Don't think GM's out there don't see his value as a negative one. Contract and poor play at this point I doubt he is movable at this point.

There's a laundry list of players I'm sick of seeing in Blue and Gold. I thought the Pegula era was gonna act like some sort of magic deodorant that covered up some of this team's shortcomings but for some reason this has been a horrible start to the season. Despite the fact that we're actually winning more games than at this point last year, I don't think I've ever felt this lethargic when it comes to watching games.

Stafford, Boyes, Gragnani, and at many points Roy and Sekera have all pissed me off to the point where I'm tired of seeing them on the ice.

No hockey sense, no passion. Stafford's obviously tuned out Ruff, along with a host of others. He's got to do something dirty and get away with it in order to embolden and kickstart himself on some kind of streak. Stafford should have been gone eons ago when he called our fans a bunch of mouse potatoes. What's wrong with Buffalo? They hang on to stale guys way too long because they're so conservative and afraid of change...and with this new management, are still poor judges of both talent and character.

Edited by 716

No hockey sense, no passion. Stafford's obviously tuned out Ruff, along with a host of others. A weirdo too with those costumes he puts on.He's got to do something dirty and get away with it in order to embolden and kickstart himself on some kind of streak. Stafford should have been gone eons ago when he called our fans a bunch of mouse potatoes. What's wrong with Buffalo? They hang on to stale guys way too long because they're so conservative and afraid of change...and with this new management, are still poor judges of both talent and character.

What?

Edited by d4rksabre

Like was discussed in the GDT, Roy would be at the top of my hit list, but DR would then have to bring in a center(especially with Hecht's status). The time to fix this mess was in the off-season, and they failed miserably with "no mas" Leino begging out of the center position.

That being said, out of the "core", I would dump Stafford and Roy tomorrow, and see how the rest of the season plays out. How much worse can it get considering the production that you are getting from these two.

That would be nice.

I will say that although I may be kidding myself, I don't see Stafford's struggles this year as the result of lack of effort. To me it looks like he's completely lost his confidence. At the end of the day it doesn't matter because an unproductive rut is an unproductive rut -- but I think there's a greater chance of him digging himself out of it at some point when he's hustling as opposed to when he's just mailing it in until the puck comes to him in scoring position.

Stafford does need to go, So does Sekera, so does Boyes. Zassian deserves a spot on this team along with McNabb. I am sick of seeing Ellis out there as well, great guy but not an NHL player. We need scoring from all of our lines, not just one. I am sick of seeing blown coverage when the other team is coming across the blue line.

Feather hat: http://1.bp.blogspot...staffy+cfc3.jpg

As Jesus: http://www.thegooses...susstafford.jpg

With the Furries: http://3.bp.blogspot...the+furries.jpg

The Lady Gaga Wig, (whose play inspires the team to play like "little monsters"): http://hfboards.com/...d.php?t=1011173

Fu Man Drew's workout: http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Video-Fu-Man-Drew-workout-with-Drew-Stafford?urn=nhl-wp13166

Edited by 716

Stafford does need to go, So does Sekera, so does Boyes. Zassian deserves a spot on this team along with McNabb. I am sick of seeing Ellis out there as well, great guy but not an NHL player. We need scoring from all of our lines, not just one. I am sick of seeing blown coverage when the other team is coming across the blue line.

I'm not seeing the problem with Sekera, or Boyes.

Neither have been problematic this season. Boyes, of course, we can't say without a larger sample, but he was clearly getting hot before being injured.

Sekera, to me, is one of the few players on the roster to actually have a relatively smooth upward progression in his development.

While I would like to see Kassian and McNabb on the roster now, I'm not holding my breath. I think it's more important the team shed the floaters, as discussed (Roy and Stafford) and see what that does.

MAGs isn't going anywhere since I think last night confirmed Lindy has a crush on him. He should be high on the list of trade-bait, though.

Frankly, I would like to see either Goose or Kaleta go, too. Not that I have any emnity toward them, but aside from Gaustad's face-off skill, neither are helping the team right now in terms of offense. Or maybe Ennis, if the pot needs to be sweetened.

Feather hat: http://1.bp.blogspot...staffy+cfc3.jpg

As Jesus: http://www.thegooses...susstafford.jpg

With the Furries: http://3.bp.blogspot...the+furries.jpg

The Lady Gaga Wig, (whose play inspires the team to play like "little monsters"): http://hfboards.com/...d.php?t=1011173

Fu Man Drew's workout: http://ca.sports.yah...urn=nhl-wp13166

"...YOU are obviously a non-conformist,..AND A REBEL!!!" - Burgermeister Meisterburger

Of all the reasons to hate Drew, this is the most ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 3

That would be nice.

I will say that although I may be kidding myself, I don't see Stafford's struggles this year as the result of lack of effort. To me it looks like he's completely lost his confidence. At the end of the day it doesn't matter because an unproductive rut is an unproductive rut -- but I think there's a greater chance of him digging himself out of it at some point when he's hustling as opposed to when he's just mailing it in until the puck comes to him in scoring position.

I agree. Other than the OT goal play, Stafford does seem to not be loafing. But I don't think he's working as hard as he should be for loose pucks either.

And I wonder how much of Stafford's funk this season has to do with Derek Roy being here? IYR Staffords goal streaks last season came with Roy on the shelf.