Big question is...

Sabre fan

WHAT? ROY we are now TRADING ROY PLUS FOR CARTER. WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!!!!! LETS JUST TRADE MILLER AND VANEK TOOO and KASSIAN AND 2 first ROUNDERS and HARRY FREAKING POTTER :censored:

Roy's Career Stats: 489gp 150g 247a 397pts 43+/-

Carters CAREER: 471gp 184g 165a 349pts 51+/-

FAIL

EVERYONE ON THIS BOARD NEEDS TO KNOCK OFF THE ROY HATE. ITS OLD AND ITS UNFOUNDED. GUY HAS 10POINTS IN THE LAST TWO WEEKS SO SHUT UP ABOUT HIM :censored:

Calm down dude. For one, I said I WOULDN'T feel comfortable doing that deal, it was just an example of who would HAVE to be part of the deal because of Carter's salary and Buffalo's current proximity to the salary cap. For 5+ to come in, we have to move 5+ million out. Ennis, MAG and a draft pick don't cover that. And secondly, just because someone suggests Roy as part of a trade doesn't mean they hate him.. I like Roy, I think he's the most consistent player on the team. But I would trade him if it was going to improve the team by a noticeable margin. I'm not sure if Carter does that or not.

I won't murder, ridicule or insult you, as a matter of fact I completely agree that Jordan Staal would be a very good fit here in Buffalo.

I will say you don't give Carter a whole lot of credit for his own success by comparing him to Roy. That is just hogwash in my opinion, they are nothing alike.

Staal was on the cup winning team and has shown great leadership in Crosby's absence.

I wouldn't trade for Jordan Staal however, at the expense of making a conference opponent inherently better and more equipped to up-end the very Cup run we would attempt to make. In short, Pittsburg would be in a much better position to eliminate us in the playoffs as the assets are just to much to give up. Wait until he hits FA.

Carter however, is in another conference and wouldn't potentially impede our run for the Cup because even with the assets given up, Columbus would still be putting pieces together.

So, in the final analysis, Carter makes much more sense than Staal, for the reasons cited.

My opinion:

Carter vs Staal

Winner, Carter.

1) Look at their Stats and yes thats not the only thing that matters but Carter is a similar player to Roy and has not done anything more than ROY so yes I will continue to make the comparison because IT needs to be made. Carter is equivalent to Roy.

2) Yea trading in conference is a HORRENDOUS idea... Hey remember the time the Bruins traded Kessel... what a bad deal they got screwed... O wait n/m. Your point about Pitts getting better and us getting significantly worse if we traded with them is funny because Pitts is already better than us without the trade so guess they can knock us out. I have no disillusions that if a 7 game series started tomorrow Pitts would destroy us even if Staal was out. Its a calculated risk. I firmly believe that if you brought in Staal to center Vanek and Pommers is would give us a true top line and if you traded Stafford and MAG/Sekera plus a pick and maybe a prospect that it would not make Pitts some unbeatable juggernaut. If you don't think right this second Pitts with Crosby and Malkin and Fluery playing lights out couldn't destroy the sabres and win a cup then your wrong. We are not top dog in the conference we are 3-4th best IMHO. Trading Pittsburg some wingers to get a Center is a smart deal that could effectively make us strong enough to beat Pitts.

3) Jordan Staal is twice the player Jeff Carter is or will become in every way except perhaps 1... GOAL Scoring. I would rather have a sound defensive center that can go into the corners and play physical while dishing the puck to Vanek than Roy 2.0...

Carter V. Staal = HANDS DOWN STAAL is a much better all around player.

I think I would rather have Staal. Pittsburgh will NOT trade him. Not for ANY one on the Sabres roster.

The catch to them not trading him is that they have to resign Neal at the end of this year and if Crosby and Malkin are good to go do they really need a amazing 3rd line center... Once Staal comes up for a new contract that 4mil cap hit should bounce up to 6-7mil and thats 2 solid wingers right there not to mention they have to resign crosby that same year... Staal staying in Pittsburgh through 2013 is highly unlikely.

AGAIN I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS A RUMOR OR HAPPENING, but Carter is not the player this team needs he is ROY 2.0

Carter? His contract does not run out until 2022, with a NTC. Folks don't like Roy for being soft and want Carter for more than 10 years?

Roy is a bargain at $4M. I just don't like at the point on the PP. Carter is $5.2+.

Not the droid we're looking for is correct.

You think 5.2 is too much?

You'll be rethinking that when you see what Roy will ask for come his next contract.

This one is probably out of left field, but what about the other Staal centreman, i.e. Eric?

I know he is the face of the 'Canes, but he has also been in the worst slump of his career and their team has not been good this year. Maybe Rutherford will look to really shake things up and rather than can Maurice he'd be willing to make a blockbuster deal...

Well, I can dream, can't I? Who wouldn't want big red in blue and gold?!

1) Look at their Stats and yes thats not the only thing that matters but Carter is a similar player to Roy and has not done anything more than ROY so yes I will continue to make the comparison because IT needs to be made. Carter is equivalent to Roy.

2) Yea trading in conference is a HORRENDOUS idea... Hey remember the time the Bruins traded Kessel... what a bad deal they got screwed... O wait n/m. Your point about Pitts getting better and us getting significantly worse if we traded with them is funny because Pitts is already better than us without the trade so guess they can knock us out. I have no disillusions that if a 7 game series started tomorrow Pitts would destroy us even if Staal was out. Its a calculated risk. I firmly believe that if you brought in Staal to center Vanek and Pommers is would give us a true top line and if you traded Stafford and MAG/Sekera plus a pick and maybe a prospect that it would not make Pitts some unbeatable juggernaut. If you don't think right this second Pitts with Crosby and Malkin and Fluery playing lights out couldn't destroy the sabres and win a cup then your wrong. We are not top dog in the conference we are 3-4th best IMHO. Trading Pittsburg some wingers to get a Center is a smart deal that could effectively make us strong enough to beat Pitts.

3) Jordan Staal is twice the player Jeff Carter is or will become in every way except perhaps 1... GOAL Scoring. I would rather have a sound defensive center that can go into the corners and play physical while dishing the puck to Vanek than Roy 2.0...

Carter V. Staal = HANDS DOWN STAAL is a much better all around player.

Your thinking is skewed, when Boston traded Kessel, Toronto didn't have the team Pittsburg currently does, that dog don't even remotely hunt in the same woods.

I never stated we would get "significantly get worse" as you stated. What I did say is that you will be giving Pittsburg, an already better team than Buffalo, even more assets, and all we'd be getting back is Staal. So, once again, that dog don't hunt in remotely the same woods.

I can appreciate your thought on Staal as a valuable asset, but outside of his rookie season, I see no data to indicate he would be the right fit between Vanek and Pominville. I know stats aren't everything, but his don't scream 1st line center, more like a great 2nd line center with great a great defensive game, sounds like a great center for Ennis and Stafford to me.

Trading Pittsburg some wingers and/or defensemen that could make them even better is not a smart deal in my opinion. Your making Pittsburg even better with depth at forward and the defense or straight out scoring line talent and you get 1 player back, not smart.

Saying Jordan Staal is twice the player Jeff Carter is, is subjective. Buffalo lacks offensive punch from it's forward ranks, not defensive play. I would rather have a 40 goal scoring center than a defensive center given the teams needs.

In the case of Buffalo, given the past roles these 2 players have played in their respective careers, Carter is the much better player to choose if he was available.

You garner the talent that is needed, and scoring is needed more than a defensive center in my opinion.

This one is probably out of left field, but what about the other Staal centreman, i.e. Eric?

I know he is the face of the 'Canes, but he has also been in the worst slump of his career and their team has not been good this year. Maybe Rutherford will look to really shake things up and rather than can Maurice he'd be willing to make a blockbuster deal...

Well, I can dream, can't I? Who wouldn't want big red in blue and gold?!

Yes please.

As I refrain from bashing my head against the wall and asking myself WTH is going on, I feel the need to take this question not seriously but with a grain of skepticism. Jeff Carter is not the center (droid...) your looking for. This team has a player like him in Derek Roy. Sure Carter is physically bigger but he is not a more physical player.

If we need to trade for a Center at this point in time it makes sense to kill 2 birds with one trade. So what does this team lack? Grit, Defense, Leadership. I will be murdered, ridiculed and insulted for this but IF this team is trading for a center the correct player would be Jordan Staal.

Jordan Staal is defensively sound. He is large and physical in his own end and in front of the net. He plays on a team that currently has center depth but is not overall skilled at winger and is solid at defense but not overly deep. Now as to his leadership I can not speak but I know that his team did not just ship him away like carter and that he is not whining like a little kid asking for a trade. He sucked it up when he got injured and played well while Malkin and Crosby were gone. He has a cup ring, has been to the playoffs every year for 5 years. Thats the type of guy you want. Carter is a playboy if you ask me, and so no, even if he is being shipped out of Columbus I want him far away from my locker room.

As for Staal, Stafford, MAG/Sekera and a 2nd (maybe a 1st) round pick would probably be what it took IF pitts was willing... also the money works out nice. Staal = 4mil, Staff = 4mil. This is type of player you want not some guy who seems to have an issue fitting in or working hard.

DISCLAIMER: Again this is JUST MY OPINION I AM NOT SAYING THIS WILL HAPPEN OR HAS BEEN RUMORED.

I'm going to find you and strangle you.

Just a tidbit of information:

Apparently Bobby Ryan isn't on the market, but Anaheim said they would be listening to offers for him.

Anaheim saying they would carefully review offers made for Bobby Ryan, which would include to young top 6 forwards.

They said that Buffalo and Toronto are the two most interested teams at the moment.

there haven't been any official offers yet for Ryan.

No link yet, but I'm searching at the moment.

Will edit and post link once found.

Just a tidbit of information:

Apparently Bobby Ryan isn't on the market, but Anaheim said they would be listening to offers for him.

Anaheim saying they would carefully review offers made for Bobby Ryan, which would include to young top 6 forwards.

They said that Buffalo and Toronto are the two most interested teams at the moment.

there haven't been any official offers yet for Ryan.

No link yet, but I'm searching at the moment.

Will edit and post link once found.

If you don't have a link what could your source for this info possibly be?

Archived