Ennis or Hecht?

SabresBillsBraves

That man-###### Scrivens? How has he been playing? I've been too busy to see much lately.

He absolutley robbed one of the Predators last night (can't remember who) and has outplayed "The Monster" although that's not saying much. He's sitting at a 2.95; .899. Not horrid numbers for a rookie but he's definetly not setting the world on fire. Now that the Leafs scoring has pretty much evaporated his numbers and record of 2-3-1 probably look a bit worse than he's actually played.

A first place trainwreck. Imagine how good this team is going to be when they start to play mediocre hockey.

:lol:

They won't be in first place by the end of next week in my opinion.

As a matter of fact, since Boston has found its game again, and Toronto continuing to hang with us up in the standings, I'll venture to say if Buffalo continues to play the way they have (and I have no reason to believe they won't) they'll be in 3rd place in the division and could very well be looking at a 8th to 10th spot in the conference.

I think you might be right, but I wouldn't get too concerned considering the time of year.

The Northeast Division Title. And I'd say the NE Champ has a shot at the cup, I think that'd be a fair statement.

Again, there are two ways this can work. The team can be like last year, and come together after the New Year, but this time not be in a giant hole. Or, the team can be like the 2002 Buckeyes, and stumble their way to a championship. In the later scenario, I see the cup clinching goal being scored on the power play after a phantom pass interference call.

Not necessarily. See: 2009-2010 season

11 and 7 is train wreck? :blink:

I thought there were Bills fans on this board.

If Buffalo only wins 1 of their next 3 games, there is a very real possibility they could be in 11th place in the East come a week from today.

They are 5th in points per game right now in the east with a bunch of teams a tick away.

It's not a trainwreck, but for a team that spent the most money and had the advantage of frontloading cash and burrying guys in the minors and Europe on their way to winning multiple cups.....it ain't pretty right now. After nearly a quarter of the season gone they have yet to take a step forward.

If Buffalo only wins 1 of their next 3 games, there is a very real possibility they could be in 11th place in the East come a week from today.

They are 5th in points per game right now in the east with a bunch of teams a tick away.

It's not a trainwreck, but for a team that spent the most money and had the advantage of frontloading cash and burrying guys in the minors and Europe on their way to winning multiple cups.....it ain't pretty right now. After nearly a quarter of the season gone they have yet to take a step forward.

Where is it pretty right now though? This year is kind of strange in that no single team is really leading the pack anywhere in the league. From a league-wide perspective, we could be in for a very interesting ride.

Where is it pretty right now though? This year is kind of strange in that no single team is really leading the pack anywhere in the league. From a league-wide perspective, we could be in for a very interesting ride.

Oh, I don't know, but I would say Philly, Wash., Pitt and the Rangers are looking real good right about now.

And with Boston coming on very very strong recently. Not to mention Tampa and New Jersey's ability to surge either now or in mid season.

And there is the surprising situation Florida finds itself in. Although not considered to be a team on the rise, Ottawa has surprisingly held in there as well.

I agree with TGDD, if the Sabres continue to falter through November, it could spell big trouble down the line.

That's why the game is dying. The OT loss point and the trap is turning this into a mediocrity snoozefest. Look at the average GAA for goalies.

11 under 2.2

17 under 2.5 and Enroth is the one with least games played in that category.

I don't mind the NHL going back to traps and stuff, but at the same time if they are trumpeting suspensions and head hits, there is no old-time hockey to keep it exciting. The sport is turning into soccer.

The NHL is turning into the 150lb stripper with a C-Section scar.

Last year through 18 games they had 15 points. This team has increased their first 18 game output by 7 points (almost a 50% increase). If we consider that it takes time to learn to play the way the Sabres play, there are a ton of new pieces in the machine, and there is no "seasoned" leadership on the team. It was more likely we'd have a slow start. We've (magically) avoided that fate, and still have the opportunity to come together in the next month or so and really start pushing the envelope of success. I like that this team is getting a chance to face the pressure of under-performing, without losing a bunch of ground in the standings.

That's why the game is dying. The OT loss point and the trap is turning this into a mediocrity snoozefest. Look at the average GAA for goalies.

11 under 2.2

I don't mind the NHL going back to traps and stuff, but at the same time if they are trumpeting suspensions and head hits, there is no old-time hockey to keep it exciting. The sport is turning into soccer.

*removes "exercize" pole from spare room*

Last year through 18 games they had 15 points. This team has increased their first 18 game output by 7 points (almost a 50% increase). If we consider that it takes time to learn to play the way the Sabres play, there are a ton of new pieces in the machine, and there is no "seasoned" leadership on the team. It was more likely we'd have a slow start. We've (magically) avoided that fate, and still have the opportunity to come together in the next month or so and really start pushing the envelope of success. I like that this team is getting a chance to face the pressure of under-performing, without losing a bunch of ground in the standings.

Well said. Their going to be fine, give them time. We weren't going to go 82-0-0.

Oh, I don't know, but I would say Philly, Wash., Pitt and the Rangers are looking real good right about now.

And with Boston coming on very very strong recently. Not to mention Tampa and New Jersey's ability to surge either now or in mid season.

And there is the surprising situation Florida finds itself in. Although not considered to be a team on the rise, Ottawa has surprisingly held in there as well.

I agree with TGDD, if the Sabres continue to falter through November, it could spell big trouble down the line.

I really don't mean to disagree with all of your posts because I enjoy reading them. But Washington is 3-6-1 in their last 10. If that's looking real good then i don't wanna be good.

I really don't mean to disagree with all of your posts because I enjoy reading them. But Washington is 3-6-1 in their last 10. If that's looking real good then i don't wanna be good.

I think Boudreau has Ovie all messed up. He's trying to take a 10mil NHL superstar and turn him into a "defense first" player. I think the better strategy is to "turn him loose", always have him out there with at least 1 solid two way forward, and the teams two best defensive defenseman. Ovie had 32 goals in 79 games last year, and only 7 in 17 this year. Hows that ROI?

I guess post lockout hockey is gone for good. :angry:

I think Boudreau has Ovie all messed up. He's trying to take a 10mil NHL superstar and turn him into a "defense first" player. I think the better strategy is to always have him out there with at least 1 solid two way forward, and the teams two best defensive defenseman. Ovie had 32 goals in 79 games last year, and only 7 in 17 this year. Hows that ROI?

I guess post lockout hockey is gone for good. :angry:

Ya, I think that's part of it. With the playoff non-success, I'm surprised he still has a job.

I generally agree, especially as regards the D. I really think it takes most defensemen a year to adjust to a new team/system -- and this is league-wide, not just the Sabres. Regehr, Ehrhoff and MAG are all new, and Weber and Myers are still very young players.

If the D can gradually come together, if Miller can get his health and mojo back, if Enroth can continue to play well in relief of Miller, and if Ennis and Stafford can return to last year's form, this team could be very good by February/March. If not, another 1st-round exit is likely, and maybe we'll finally see an overhaul of the top 6.

Continue to falter through November. You mean the month where they're 5-3? They were 6-4 in October, which is slightly worse than their current November record. I get the feeling that we're dealing with very different definitions of "faltering" and teams that look good because what you just posted here really doesn't add up to me.

GoDD, it's funny that you bring up the OTLs because those are the exact thing that have many of these teams right around or ahead of the Sabres in the standings right now.

Continue to falter through November. You mean the month where they're 5-3? They were 6-4 in October, which is slightly worse than their current November record. I get the feeling that we're dealing with very different definitions of "faltering" and teams that look good because what you just posted here really doesn't add up to me.

Well, they do only have one regulation win in their last 6 games - 1 regulation win, 1 OT win, 2 SO wins, 2 regulation losses - which is a little concerning. They've gotten points, but have looked less than impressive most nights.

Edit: and only two regulation wins in November - 2 regulation win, 1 OT win, 2 SO wins, 3 regulation losses.

My prediction is if they continue to win despite playing terribly, they will 2002 Ohio State themselves into the Stanley Cup.

As someone who lives squarely in Buckeye country I thought this site was one place I could escape hearing about the Buckeyes. ;(

If they lose their next three, they are fighting for a playoff spot. If they win them they are riding high atop the conference.

That is the nature of the standings at this time of year.

If they split their next two, they are on pace for a 98-point season — an easy playoff berth and a mid-conference seed.

That's hardly a train wreck. In fact it is only disappointing in the context of those who thought the changes would make us dominant.

It is, however, troublesome that we do not look like a Stanley Cup team, which is what we all want.

On that front, well I think we need a physical guy who can play on the top two lines and we'll be in the hunt.

April and June are a long way away.

11 under 2.2

Ghost,

You know I love you, but what do you mean the sport is turning into soccer?

Real football (the beutiful game) is the most watched / played sport in the world.

It's popularity is growing in North America and will pass hockey in played sport here when the mothers and fathers start to realize that their pride and joys could be the next Beckham more likely then the next Lemieux ... cheaper too ... all you need is a pair of shorts, t-shirt and running shoes ... oh, and a ball and some grass!!

If they lose their next three, they are fighting for a playoff spot. If they win them they are riding high atop the conference.

That is the nature of the standings at this time of year.

If they split their next two, they are on pace for a 98-point season — an easy playoff berth and a mid-conference seed.

That's hardly a train wreck. In fact it is only disappointing in the context of those who thought the changes would make us dominant.

It is, however, troublesome that we do not look like a Stanley Cup team, which is what we all want.

On that front, well I think we need a physical guy who can play on the top two lines and we'll be in the hunt.

April and June are a long way away.

I think that's the key here. The 06'07' team looked like friggen world beaters out of the gate but lost some momentum in the playoffs and that was that. Moment is huge and we need it rolling when the games really start to matter beginning in March.

At this point Hecht should retire. Two years of head injuries and setbacks, and he was soft for his size to begin with. The penalty kill is already fine and that is about the only asset he would bring if he is afraid to roll at 100% out there, and Hecht doesn't seem like the guy to throw caution to the wind in the physical department.

I agree ....

He should retire.

Ghost,

You know I love you, but what do you mean the sport is turning into soccer?

Real football (the beutiful game) is the most watched / played sport in the world.

It's popularity is growing in North America and will pass hockey in played sport here when the mothers and fathers start to realize that their pride and joys could be the next Beckham more likely then the next Lemieux ... cheaper too ... all you need is a pair of shorts, t-shirt and running shoes ... oh, and a ball and some grass!!

Glee is popular. American Idol is popular.

Archived