Ennis or Hecht?

SabresBillsBraves

A first place trainwreck. Imagine how good this team is going to be when they start to play mediocre hockey.

They won't be in first place by the end of next week in my opinion.

As a matter of fact, since Boston has found its game again, and Toronto continuing to hang with us up in the standings, I'll venture to say if Buffalo continues to play the way they have (and I have no reason to believe they won't) they'll be in 3rd place in the division and could very well be looking at a 8th to 10th spot in the conference.

Ennis is the one coming back but the team needs Hecht more. You know Ruff is desperate when he puts Boyes at center. What a trainwreck.

Agree. Ennis coming back does not help the ongoing center problem with the top 2 lines...

Roy - Centers one of the top 2 lines.

Adam - Bumped down to the 4th line. He wasn't exactly the main cog that made the line go, when playing with Pominville & Vanek.

Boyes - Was awful at center last year.

Leino - Sucked his thumb until Lindy moved him back to wing.

Hecht - More suited to play wing. Probably back to scoring line center when he gets healthy.

Not even in the conversation...Gaustad, McCormick & Ellis nor anyone in Rochester.

In summary...once again a problem spot that was not properly addressed in the offseason. Where are all the "Look at Darcy now that the shackles have been removed" folks?

As a matter of fact, since Boston has found its game again, and Toronto continuing to hang with us up in the standings, I'll venture to say if Buffalo continues to play the way they have (and I have no reason to believe they won't) they'll be in 3rd place in the division and could very well be looking at a 8th to 10th spot in the conference.

My prediction is if they continue to win despite playing terribly, they will 2002 Ohio State themselves into the Stanley Cup.

Agree. Ennis coming back does not help the ongoing center problem with the top 2 lines...

Roy - Centers one of the top 2 lines.

Adam - Bumped down to the 4th line. We wasn't exactly the main cog that made the line go, when playing with Pominville & Vanek.

Boyes - Was awful at center last year.

Leino - Sucked his thumb until Lindy moved him back to wing.

Hecht - More suited to play wing. Probably back to scoring line center when he gets healthy.

Not even in the conversation...Gaustad, McCormick & Ellis nor anyone in Rochester.

In summary...once again a problem spot that was not properly addressed in the offseason. Where are all the "Look at Darcy now that the shackles have been removed" folks?

He put together a team that is so talented that it can play terrible hockey and still be in contention. It's not like they've been bad for just the last week, they have been playing poorly since they got back from Europe. And yet... somehow... they win?

I don't want to decide. I'll gladly take them both back.

I agree. Although, Ennis will probably have a more immediate impact. Hecht hasn't played a regular season game since March 29. It's probably going to take him a while to get back.

I agree. Although, Ennis will probably have a more immediate impact. Hecht hasn't played a regular season game since March 29. It's probably going to take him a while to get back.

I was thinking the same exact thing. I could picture Ennis having a tough readjustment too though. An ankle injury has to be tough for someone who does the things he does.

He put together a team that is so talented that it can play terrible hockey and still be in contention. It's not like they've been bad for just the last week, they have been playing poorly since they got back from Europe. And yet... somehow... they win?

Who's to say that what you are calling "terrible hockey" isn't going to be the norm rather than the exception this year? Just because on paper it says they should be better than how they are playing, doesn't mean it is going to happen.

The top 6 has 2 major problems...They only have 1 scoring line center, and they are heavy on finesse and light on toughness. This was a problem when the season ended, and it is a problem today. Tell me again how DR put together a "talented team"? Maybe he can giveaway some more 2nd round picks at the deadline to fix problems he should have addressed in the offseason. <_<

Who's to say that what you are calling "terrible hockey" isn't going to be the norm rather than the exception this year? Just because on paper it says they should be better than how they are playing, doesn't mean it is going to happen.

The top 6 has 2 major problems...They only have 1 scoring line center, and they are heavy on finesse and light on toughness. This was a problem when the season ended, and it is a problem today. Tell me again how DR put together a "talented team"? Maybe he can giveaway up some more 2nd round picks at the deadline to fix problems he should have addressed in the offseason. <_<

I'm playing a bit of devils advocate here, but for a team to make the shear number of on-ice mistakes that this team has made, and still be leading what may be the toughest division in the league, they must be able to make up for it with raw talent. I think the last game at MON was a good example of this. They were awful for 40 minutes, then the talent kicked in and it was a 3 point divisional point swing in 25 minutes. And if this is a repeat of last year, the team will come together in about a month. Only this time, they'll be at the top of the division when they take off on a 4 month tear.

That said, they very likely could implode from here and destroy themselves and, with help from the bills, destroy what's left of the souls of all buffalo sports fans.

Toronto has lost three straight and five of their last six while we've won five of our last seven. I'd say Toronto had a very hot start and is collapsing right now rather than continuing to hang with us. I think we were down by something like 7 points to them at one point. Don't know if you've watched many of their games lately but that's a team looking like a train wreck. I'll give you the Boston point though.

Toronto has lost three straight and five of their last six while we've won five of our last seven. I'd say Toronto had a very hot start and is collapsing right now rather than continuing to hang with us. I think we were down by something like 7 points to them at one point. Don't know if you've watched many of their games lately but that's a team looking like a train wreck. I'll give you the Boston point though.

No, I hadn't, but since they had the hot start last season, doesn't surprise me none. I am thinking Burke will continue to address the teams needs throughout the season, I won't depend on them ending up like last season.

But, you could very well be correct, if they are repeating past cycles of success for them, then I wouldn't be to worried.

In contention for what? The playoffs? It'd be nice if they could contend for the cup. It is still early though. Perhaps Darcy will pull a blockbuster to bring in what this team needs and shuffle out what we have far too much of. GO SABRES!

In contention for what? The playoffs? It'd be nice if they could contend for the cup. It is still early though. Perhaps Darcy will pull a blockbuster to bring in what this team needs and shuffle out what we have far too much of. GO SABRES!

The Northeast Division Title. And I'd say the NE Champ has a shot at the cup, I think that'd be a fair statement.

Again, there are two ways this can work. The team can be like last year, and come together after the New Year, but this time not be in a giant hole. Or, the team can be like the 2002 Buckeyes, and stumble their way to a championship. In the later scenario, I see the cup clinching goal being scored on the power play after a phantom pass interference call.

No, I hadn't, but since they had the hot start last season, doesn't surprise me none. I am thinking Burke will continue to address the teams needs throughout the season, I won't depend on them ending up like last season.

But, you could very well be correct, if they are repeating past cycles of success for them, then I wouldn't be to worried.

Reimer is out with a concussion right now and has a history of head injuries. My Leaf buddies at the start of the year said the season basically goes where he goes. That has defiently been proven since he's been out as 'The Monster' looks like a huge bust and they're playing some kid from the farm which has had good flashes but rookie moments as well. I'd be surprised if they make the playoffs to be honest. As for Burke, I think he's been a little over rated to tell you the truth. He inherited a poor team but has been there what? 3? 4 years? They still haven't made the playoffs yet and other than the Phaneuf deal (or possibly the Kessel deal depending on how Seguin turns out) he hasn't really done much to improve that club.

Reimer is out with a concussion right now and has a history of head injuries. My Leaf buddies at the start of the year said the season basically goes where he goes. That has defiently been proven since he's been out as 'The Monster' looks like a huge bust and they're playing some kid from the farm which has had good flashes but rookie moments as well. I'd be surprised if they make the playoffs to be honest. As for Burke, I think he's been a little over rated to tell you the truth. He inherited a poor team but has been there what? 3? 4 years? They still haven't made the playoffs yet and other than the Phaneuf deal (or possibly the Kessel deal depending on how Seguin turns out) he hasn't really done much to improve that club.

That man-###### Scrivens? How has he been playing? I've been too busy to see much lately.

At this point Hecht should retire. Two years of head injuries and setbacks, and he was soft for his size to begin with. The penalty kill is already fine and that is about the only asset he would bring if he is afraid to roll at 100% out there, and Hecht doesn't seem like the guy to throw caution to the wind in the physical department.

Archived