First Time I Can Remember

CallawaySabres

Uh, I think some of you are missing the bigger picture here; the people criticizing the Sabres aren't doing so because of their on-ice ability skill wise, it's because of their lack of response after their "star" goalie was destroyed, intentionally. It's a problem the Sabres have had for quite some time, it certainly didn't just start Saturday night.

You can complain about fans being upset with their favorite team's lack of moxy all you want, but it's relevant and a very real reason the Sabres have not been able to take "the next step".

And to the poster above who implied most of us would quiver and hide at the thought of Lucic pounding us.... you obviously have never played organized sports. Something like Saturday night wouldn't have even been allowed in High School Hockey without immediate and total retaliation, let alone in a professional setting. Get real...

It is a logo for my beer league team (if u can't tell it says rink rats,not river rats). Somebody who refuses to watch their team bc it's 2-0 is not a fan,

Did you even read what was said as to the reasoning I did not watch? Lay off the beers in your rat league because it had nothing to do with 2-0. As soon as they lost that game to Boston, the first thing I said was that I would have rather them lose that game 100-2 if someone could have shown an ounce of backbone on that team.

I pay for 21 games a year and it isn't cheap so try your real fan 1st grade argument on someone else.....

Nonsense. Enroth was simply standing in the blue paint. He didn't try to get in Cole's way. He's supposed to be protected while in the crease - at least that's what the rule book says.

Enroth knew what he was doing and Cole was dumb enough to skate through the paint, lol

If it makes you feel any better (spoiler alert: it won't), Enroth got hit while standing in his crease minding his own business and the Sabres did nothing about it, again. Granted it wasn't anything close to as bad as what happened to Miller, but you'd think they'd be sensitive to that kind of thing based on recent events...

I am POd that no one went after that punk cole. here is a guy who was seriously injured himself and plays reckless with others. I dont care if it wasnt as big of a hit but this team of wusses MUST standup for the goalie when hes run into in any way. I dont think anyone even approached Cole to even givehim a face of glove

You obviously have no idea what's going on in FL. But, I digress.............

Oh, and to add my own opinion on all this, the Sabres are 11-6 and people are giving up because of a few sloppy games and the Boston disaster? Please.......... You people should sit down and watch some other NHL games. There is so much parity in this league now that you have to be dreaming to think any city will have a team that can dominate 60 minutes for every game of the year.To sit here and think Reiger needs to "fix" something 17 games into the season when you have 3 new players playing KEY positions not to mention the loss of three of our older veterans is just insane. Look what they accomplished last year through adversity. Not sure what it's like up in BFLO, but I just went outside and I can confirm that the sky is not falling.

I think you're missing the point here. This team can win games, hell, this team can probably win the division without changing anything. The problem a lot of fans have is that there seems to be a lack of courage and hard work on the team. And those two values are very important to the people of Buffalo.

I just got back in town late last night(went to Dallas for the weekend :sick: ). I didn't see the Boston game or the hit before last night. My thoughts on this whole debacle...

- You have got to be kidding me. I don't care what was said after the game or in the next 48 hours. The only thing that matters is what happened immediately after the hit, and then the rest of the game. When Miller was using the term gutless to describe Lucic, he should have went one step further and added his 18 teammates to the list who were dressed for this game.

- Note even two years ago during the Olympics, the NHL was marketing Miller as one of its biggest stars. Now they decide that it is not important that one of your biggest stars from a USA Hockey perspective gets run and injured. Bettman, Shanahan, etc... really dropped the ball on this one.

- You talk about having NO respect for opposing players. Lucic tops the list.

Just one question...Has there been any response from Black or Pegula on this?

I think you're missing the point here. This team can win games, hell, this team can probably win the division without changing anything. The problem a lot of fans have is that there seems to be a lack of courage and hard work on the team. And those two values are very important to the people of Buffalo.

I've felt this way about the team for quite a few years now. I am waiting to see how the first half of the season to pass before definitively passing judgement for this years' squad but I'm losing my optimism. There is enough talent to provide a bit of a smokescreen for the flaws this team has. And I think you nailed the biggest flaws.

I am POd that no one went after that punk cole. here is a guy who was seriously injured himself and plays reckless with others. I dont care if it wasnt as big of a hit but this team of wusses MUST standup for the goalie when hes run into in any way. I dont think anyone even approached Cole to even givehim a face of glove

Goose went after him.. few words shared back and forth. Stripes were there the entire time, no real chance to even facewash him. I would have sent Ellis on the first shootout attempt and Ran Price.

Just my opinion but I believe that was part of the Canadians game plan to brush the goalie believing the Sabres would feel that they had to respond thereby setting up an odd man situation in overtime. The sabres were smart not to respond in that situation. The Boston debacle on the other hand....

... and thats why the leafs have sucked FOREVER.

A true, real fan of the team, will quit when his team and the ownership of that team stop attempting to create a champion which is the ultimate goal of the fan. This applies to teams like phoenix and florida... I will be the first person to admit that after that dark day in july 07, that season I watched only about 60-70% of the games because I was disgusted with the team. I was still a fan but they did not earn or deserve more than what they gave to me. It is a reciprocal relationship. What makes a bandwagon fan is if you stop watching/cheering for 1 team to go and watch/cheer for another team because they are winning. Fans following teams blindly is a bad thing and like any business if you lose customers you have to make changes, in hockey that means roster/coaching/promotions. Being a loyal fan and being a bandwagon fan equate to different things.

+1. Well said Liger!

Courage I'll have to concede. But a lack of hard work? Really? I see them working hard every game.

Look at the hits stats Ghost posted yesterday in one of the threads. Regher has an equal number of hits to the rest of the starting 5 defensemen, combined. Look at the number of times you see a player reaching for a puck rather than skating hard to it.

Are they working harder than I do at my job, probably. But they are not working nearly hard enough to live up to their collective potential.

I just have to say that all this "I'm embarrassed to be a Sabres fan" stuff is complete garbage. Why are you suddenly less of a man just because of the actions of a hockey team that you just happen to watch? I usually hate all the "we" conversations that come up, but they seem pretty fitting here. You are not a part of this team. Their actions to not reflect on you as a person. Get over yourselves with this "embarrassment" crap.

Hahhahaha, it's funny. Everyone and their grandmothers have been all upset over how this team is 'soft' and don't have each other's backs. Some have even questioned the coach for this. Others are offended that the league is somehow 'laughing' at the Sabres for Saturday. So I thought, let's see what fans are talking about on other message boards. I feel that with Washington's goaltending they are now the true class of the east. So I Google Washington Capitals message board and selected the first one that comes up. The very top thread that is being discussed??

"Kind of Says it all". A quote from Ryan Carter who injured Mike Green "Usually if you run a guy like Green somebody will come up and say something. Nobody said anything to me"

Caps fans are having the exact same discussion that we are having about our team right now. Do I wish we had a tougher team? Absolutely! I just think that this is the 'new' NHL were you just don't see bench clearing brawls and 'an eye for an eye' like you would see back in the 70's, 80' and early 90's. We can sit here and discuss not watching this team or believe they are not that good but hey, this is your Buffalo Sabres. I have no problem with posters questioning the teams 'heart', strength or anything else. Of course real fans do that all the time, if you weren't a fan you wouldn't even be on this message board in the first place. But don't we think that some of the comments and threads made about how people aren't even watching the games is a little too far? If you're not happy with the Sabres response, I think it may be the NHL product you have issues with because according to this discussion fans of one of the best teams in the east feel the same way about their group too. Let's give it more than 17 games to stop watching this club. Sorry for the rant.

And to the poster above who implied most of us would quiver and hide at the thought of Lucic pounding us.... you obviously have never played organized sports. Something like Saturday night wouldn't have even been allowed in High School Hockey without immediate and total retaliation, let alone in a professional setting. Get real...

Uhm no thats not correct. Yes, i played competitive sports, and at the D1 level. Most of the internet tough guys would run like hell with Lucic begging for a fight..to think otherwise is just not being honest. If you read correctly, I did not say the Sabres should not have responded, I said I am sick of people who who act like tough guys on internet boards, that have never, and i mean never, played a game as violent and tough as NHL hockey with the biggest, strongest, meanest SOBs out there.

Look at the hits stats Ghost posted yesterday in one of the threads. Regher has an equal number of hits to the rest of the starting 5 defensemen, combined. Look at the number of times you see a player reaching for a puck rather than skating hard to it.

Are they working harder than I do at my job, probably. But they are not working nearly hard enough to live up to their collective potential.

Or pay. If I was to give the same effort as Leino or Myers give to getting to a puck.. or skate hard into the corners at my job... I would be out of work. Me saying " well, things just are not going the way I want" would't fly.

Agree to disagree I guess. I want to see toughness as much as the next guy, but I haven't turned off a single Sabres game this year thinking that they didn't show enough effort.

I just have to say that all this "I'm embarrassed to be a Sabres fan" stuff is complete garbage. Why are you suddenly less of a man just because of the actions of a hockey team that you just happen to watch? I usually hate all the "we" conversations that come up, but they seem pretty fitting here. You are not a part of this team. Their actions to not reflect on you as a person. Get over yourselves with this "embarrassment" crap.

Sorry but when MY hockey team that I support has a Buffalo in front of the name, that is exactly how I feel as MY city is represented on that ice. I have much MUCH pride in my city and it carries over to the Bills and Sabres regardless of how good or bad they are. The most important attributes to me are how the character and effort of the team are and BOTH of those were questioned big time on Saturday.

Sorry but when MY hockey team that I support has a Buffalo in front of the name, that is exactly how I feel as MY city is represented on that ice. I have much MUCH pride in my city and it carries over to the Bills and Sabres regardless of how good or bad they are. The most important attributes to me are how the character and effort of the team are and BOTH of those were questioned big time on Saturday.

YOUR city and EVERYONE ELSE'S city is represented by a bunch of mercenaries. These players are no more Buffalo than Phil Kessel is Toronto or Ilya Kovalchuk is New Jersey. People look to these teams for entertainment and that's it. If anyone is looking to them for any sort of self-esteem boost, they're severely misguided.

YOUR city and EVERYONE ELSE'S city is represented by a bunch of mercenaries. These players are no more Buffalo than Phil Kessel is Toronto or Ilya Kovalchuk is New Jersey. People look to these teams for entertainment and that's it. If anyone is looking to them for any sort of self-esteem boost, they're severely misguided.

Kaleta is no mercenary!! ;)

To support your point, the Versus guys pointed out last night that Buffalo's captain is from the Montreal area, while Montreal's captain is from Western New York.

Archived