Does This Team Not Care About Miller Anymore?

VansTheMans

Look it makes no difference who was the victim of a cheap shot. Miller, Enroth, Vanek, ( who got his ankle busted on a slash from Boychuck in the playoffs) this team does not have the make up nor the fortitude for retribution. So I don't buy the conspiracy.

:blink:

it would be wrong to suggest that this is what i want to see; if anything, i've held off from giving this creeping impression any credence.

You are right - you deserve a better response than that. Honestly, I thought I was responding to GoDD.

I don't think the video is conclusive at all. We know goose was the last Sabre coming up the ice. Hell, he was the last player coming up the ice. He's hustling his ass off trying to get back. We can't see where his eyes are directed, we cant even see him at all from about a second before impact until he skates into the scrum and grabs a guy, any guy. He does not appear to be trying to get at Lucic.

Goose isn't some bad ass fighter, but he generally answers the bell and does what needs to be done. His play at the tail end of last year and into this year has been impressive. I was critical of goose, his game and his contract, but he has made a believer out of me. He has improved is skating and his speed and his all around game

We know that goose said he didn't see the hit. I don't see anything in that video that makes me want to call him a liar.

Oh...the sweet irony!

I've been playing nice. Are we taking the gloves off?

Look it makes no difference who was the victim of a cheap shot. Miller, Enroth, Vanek, ( who got his ankle busted on a slash from Boychuck in the playoffs) this team does not have the make up nor the fortitude for retribution. So I don't buy the conspiracy.

I don't think they responded that way because of Miller. If anything these guys have a history of being TOO close to each other and not willing to rock the boat.

You are right - you deserve a better response than that. Honestly, I thought I was responding to GoDD.

I don't think the video is conclusive at all. We know goose was the last Sabre coming up the ice. Hell, he was the last player coming up the ice. He's hustling his ass off trying to get back. We can't see where his eyes are directed, we cant even see him at all from about a second before impact until he skates into the scrum and grabs a guy, any guy. He does not appear to be trying to get at Lucic.

Goose isn't some bad ass fighter, but he generally answers the bell and does what needs to be done. His play at the tail end of last year and into this year has been impressive. I was critical of goose, his game and his contract, but he has made a believer out of me. He has improved is skating and his speed and his all around game

We know that goose said he didn't see the hit. I don't see anything in that video that makes me want to call him a liar.

Right....he was the last player up the ice and was floating. He's hustling his ass off tring to get back, after the hit is made.

I am not an ice hockey player. Maybe those who play can tell me where his eyes would be. Is he focused on the D-man that is his coverage responsibility? He isn't skating to the bench for a change.

Where possibly can your eyes be as that play developed?

Debates based on nothing more than opinion are one thing around here, but the "not playing for Miller" idea came directly from a news source citing an unnamed person in the locker room. It begs the question.

GO SABRES!!!

Link? I haven't heard it anywhere but here and as rank hearsay attributed to nimwit fans and mocked on WGR this morning.

Wasn't a shot at you. It was the fact "Gaustad says he didn't see the hit." and the choice of words you used.

I'm seriously asking...where could have eyes have been for those 3-4 seconds as the collision set up and happened? I'm trying to give him an out because I don't want to believe he lied.

Right....he was the last player up the ice and was floating. He's hustling his ass off tring to get back, after the hit is made.

I am not an ice hockey player. Maybe those who play can tell me where his eyes would be. Is he focused on the D-man that is his coverage responsibility? He isn't skating to the bench for a change.

Where possibly can your eyes be as that play developed?

Wrong. The video shows he is hustling his ass off before the hit, then the camera pans away, then he is coasting into the scrum after the hit.

The D-Man is not his responsibility, so that's not where he would be looking. He was so far behind the play (he was directly in front of the net when the shot was blocked by Lucic) that he would have his head buried skating up ice as fast as he possibly can. In a perfect world he would have his head up scanning the whole ice. In reality, at least until he gets to the red line, his eyes are probably down. Its not what he is coached to do, but it's reality. The camera doesn't tell us one way or the other where his head was pointed at the time of impact, much less his eyes, because he's not on camera at that point, at least no view we have seen yet.

Wrong. The video shows he is hustling his ass off before the hit, then the camera pans away, then he is coasting into the scrum after the hit.

The D-Man is not his responsibility, so that's not where he would be looking. He was so far behind the play (he was directly in front of the net when the shot was blocked by Lucic) that he would have his head buried skating up ice as fast as he possibly can. In a perfect world he would have his head up scanning the whole ice. In reality, at least until he gets to the red line, his eyes are probably down. Its not what he is coached to do, but it's reality. The camera doesn't tell us one way or the other where his head was pointed at the time of impact, much less his eyes, because he's not on camera at that point, at least no view we have seen yet.

I see what you are saying....he skates hard 3-4 strides, but then coasts right before the redline as the hit is just ready to happen, then skates again hard right after the hit happens.

I guess he could have his head burried as he is skating, but look....he coasts right at the center ice circle then B-lines.

Wasn't a shot at you. It was the fact "Gaustad says he didn't see the hit." and the choice of words you used.

I'm seriously asking...where could have eyes have been for those 3-4 seconds as the collision set up and happened? I'm trying to give him an out because I don't want to believe he lied.

IMHO looking at that, I can see how the Bruins player could be blocking Gaustad's view of the hit. Kinda Miller's there now he's not type of thing.

IMHO looking at that, I can see how the Bruins player could be blocking Gaustad's view of the hit. Kinda Miller's there now he's not type of thing.

I guess maybe he didn't see the actual contact and the precise moment of impact, but he had to see the breakaway, Miller laid out on the ground without his helmet, and 9 other guys flying to the scene of the crash.

If he couldn't understand what took place over the course of those 5 seconds from the breakout, then he doesn't have very good on-ice situational awareness.

I guess maybe he didn't see the actual contact and the precise moment of impact, but he had to see the breakaway, Miller laid out on the ground without his helmet, and 9 other guys flying to the scene of the crash.

If he couldn't understand what took place over the course of those 5 seconds from the breakout, then he doesn't have very good on-ice situational awareness.

Your goalie laying on the ice doesn't necessarily mean you drop the gloves and shiv everyone wearing the wrong jersey. The level of response required in this situation may not have been immediately apparent. He also may not have known who the guilty party was.

My only point is I don't see enough here to call goose a liar.

Your goalie laying on the ice doesn't necessarily mean you drop the gloves and shiv everyone wearing the wrong jersey. The level of response required in this situation may not have been immediately apparent. He also may not have known who the guilty party was.

My only point is I don't see enough here to call goose a liar.

I can't prove he is lying. I always looked at him as one of the leaders so I don't want to believe he is lying.

I think just like here, team personalities can rub each other at times, but not for a second do I think they would have responded differently if it was Enroth.

Do you think they don't care or could it be that they still have the mentality that "Miller will make the save and bail us out" vs. "we have to protect our backup as he doesn't have the experience." Maybe they're playing harder for Enroth because they're not yet convinced he can carry the team like Miller has in the past.

thats what it seems like to me. I really doubt that they don't care about him or want to see him gone, I think its more that they feel they can play a bit more dangerous infront of him and take chances cause he will bail them out, yet with Enroth, they are playing a little more protective cause they aren't sure if he can bail them out of a jam

this is fair. still, the "i didn't see what happened" just seemed a little weak (even before i saw the video); like he was back-filling for his failure to do something more assertive in the immediate aftermath. i also note that ruff gave him a verbal face-wash. i dunno. i just hope they do things over the next 3-4 weeks that make this incident seem like a departure point for something better, not a moment that defined them for the season.

Most know that I am a big fan of Tyler Myers but his response was awful and that's probably got him a seat in the press box, more than his poor play.

I think Ruff sent him a huge message to start getting tough out there. We all know he's not a nasty guy but he was the biggest guy out there and he should have gone in full force to muck it up. He didn't and he got benched for it.

Gaustad can say whatever he wants but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that Miller got flattened by Lucic whether he saw it or not. He too should have done more.

I personally think that if that was Enroth the response would have been better but still too soft. That's the makeup of this team. They aren't tough or shall I say team tough.

We'll see how it goes from here on out.

I do think Enroth is liked better and it's only human nature to care about someone you like, more than one you don't.

But there's only one opinion here that matters and I'm sure that Brendan Shanahan believed Gaustad when he said he didn't see anything.

Over the years, I have heard Miller be openly critical of the team and it's play after just about every loss. Meanwhile, he continued to let soft goals in, often at the absolutely worst time, like when the team had just scored, and were working hard to get in the lead, or to come back while trailing. It's all fine and dandy to call out teammates, and criticize them but you can't have it both ways. You'd better be just about perfect yourself before you go expecting perfection from someone else...not sure who decided that Miller is a "whole-world goalie", and that he is like the captain and leader of the team. At his best, he's good, but rarely does he win the team a game by himself

like Thomas did/dos in Boston, and other goalies do with other teams. The Leafs pretty much count on their goalies to keep them in games. Yes, maybe the team does resent Miller after all the years of hearing only bad from him about the rest of the team and how they play.

Over the years, I have heard Miller be openly critical of the team and it's play after just about every loss. Meanwhile, he continued to let soft goals in, often at the absolutely worst time, like when the team had just scored, and were working hard to get in the lead, or to come back while trailing. It's all fine and dandy to call out teammates, and criticize them but you can't have it both ways. You'd better be just about perfect yourself before you go expecting perfection from someone else...not sure who decided that Miller is a "whole-world goalie", and that he is like the captain and leader of the team. At his best, he's good, but rarely does he win the team a game by himself

like Thomas did/dos in Boston, and other goalies do with other teams. The Leafs pretty much count on their goalies to keep them in games. Yes, maybe the team does resent Miller after all the years of hearing only bad from him about the rest of the team and how they play.

They should trade him for Stamkos and a second.

This is all BS from the Miller haters that he is always throwing his teammates under the bus. He is always one of the harshest critics of his own play, and when he does make comments, its always WE, as in the team didn't play well, or lost, etc.

Its funny how everyone alsso says that he always lets in "soft goals", like no other goalie in the league gets beat. Every goalie lets in "soft goals" on a regular basis, and you can ask any goalie and they will tell you they should have had 99% of the shots they have ever let in.

Archived