Does This Team Not Care About Miller Anymore?

VansTheMans

Throughout this season, we've heard discussions about the team playing different in front of Miller than Enroth.

Now we have witnessed the team's response after Miller was absolutely demolished by a player with 50 pounds on Miller: Nothing. I would have expected a bench clearing brawl for a hit of that magnitude. But no. Nothing. Sekera looked perfectly comfortable skating away to the corner after Miller hit the ground.

So I ask: Does this team care bout Ryan anymore?

For years after the departure of Briere and Drury, Miller was the only one that came every night prepared to play. He also wouldn't hesitate to call out his team when they didn't perform in front of him.

In a similar manner that a coach can lose his locker room, has Miller lost the team that plays in front of him?

Thought this would make for an interesting discussion. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this.

Throughout this season, we've heard discussions about the team playing different in front of Miller than Enroth.

Now we have witnessed the team's response after Miller was absolutely demolished by a player with 50 pounds on Miller: Nothing. I would have expected a bench clearing brawl for a hit of that magnitude. But no. Nothing. Sekera looked perfectly comfortable skating away to the corner after Miller hit the ground.

So I ask: Does this team care bout Ryan anymore?

For years after the departure of Briere and Drury, Miller was the only one that came every night prepared to play. He also wouldn't hesitate to call out his team when they didn't perform in front of him.

In a similar manner that a coach can lose his locker room, has Miller lost the team that plays in front of him?

Thought this would make for an interesting discussion. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this.

It sure looks like they dont care anymore doesnt it? It seems like the boys play tougher in front of Enroth for whatever reason. This looks like the perfect setup for miller to come back as the #2 goalie. The last thing miller needs right now is to not play

It sure looks like they dont care anymore doesnt it? It seems like the boys play tougher in front of Enroth for whatever reason. This looks like the perfect setup for miller to come back as the #2 goalie. The last thing miller needs right now is to not play

Do you think they don't care or could it be that they still have the mentality that "Miller will make the save and bail us out" vs. "we have to protect our backup as he doesn't have the experience." Maybe they're playing harder for Enroth because they're not yet convinced he can carry the team like Miller has in the past.

Do you think they don't care or could it be that they still have the mentality that "Miller will make the save and bail us out" vs. "we have to protect our backup as he doesn't have the experience." Maybe they're playing harder for Enroth because they're not yet convinced he can carry the team like Miller has in the past.

So that explains their play, but what about their reaction... or lack there of.. after the Lucic mashing?

I am going to reticently wade into this. I think everyone was waiting for goose to take the lead. Goose said he didn't see the hit, so what is he supposed to do - take a few depositions before deciding whether to drop the gloves?

As for retribution after the initial play, that's on ruff. He controls his bench. He could encourage something if he wanted it, but no one says boo without ruff's ok. I think ruff was shocked by the failure to act and purposely sat back to see what would happen. Judging by media reports, he was as disappointed as the rest of us.

I am going to reticently wade into this. I think everyone was waiting for goose to take the lead. Goose said he didn't see the hit, so what is he supposed to do - take a few depositions before deciding whether to drop the gloves?

As for retribution after the initial play, that's on ruff. He controls his bench. He could encourage something if he wanted it, but no one says boo without ruff's ok. I think ruff was shocked by the failure to act and purposely sat back to see what would happen. Judging by media reports, he was as disappointed as the rest of us.

I would ask people to look at the clip from the NESN feed from behind the net and ask themselves if Gaustad saw the hit.

Unless his head was burried towards the ice, he was at the redline skating back to his own zone with nobody around him and what appears to be a clear view of the situation.

I will find the tape.

Here we go. Gaustad is in front of the Boston net, and the player to the left of the frame starting at 45 seconds. If he didn't see the hit, he sure picked a strange time to start skating hard back to the zone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O8RiBmof4g

I havnt seen Miller make a save to bail us out in a long time. Now if we could win games with his mouth, we would'nt have a problem.

I would ask people to look at the clip from the NESN feed from behind the net and ask themselves if Gaustad saw the hit.

Here we go. Gaustad is in front of the Boston net, and the player to the left of the frame starting at 45 seconds. If he didn't see the hit, he sure picked a strange time to start skating hard back to the zone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O8RiBmof4g

man, oh man. that tape doesn't definitively make a liar of gaustad ... but it sure would make for terrific evidence on cross-examination. know what? i don't buy it that he didn't perceive what went down. i don't buy it. i don't believe him. and i don't think miller does either. yeesh.

and, fwiw, i think this issue warrants its own thread, or at least headline treatment in a merged thread. it was the first thing that floated through my head as the play ended not with a bang, but a whimper -- holy sh!t, they don't give a rat's ass about miller, do they?. my wife happened to be watching (she's good about sports, can have an intelligent conversation, but does not follow them closely) -- and after that dust-up (such as it was) and the ensuing 15-20 minutes in real time, she said what i was thinking -- it was something to the effect of "so, do the other players on the team just not like miller anymore?"

Wow. It wasn't that long ago that the debate here was whether or not the team plays for, and cares about LaLime. Suddenly they don't like Miller any more?

Debates based on nothing more than opinion are one thing around here, but the "not playing for Miller" idea came directly from a news source citing an unnamed person in the locker room. It begs the question.

GO SABRES!!!

man, oh man. that tape doesn't definitively make a liar of gaustad ... but it sure would make for terrific evidence on cross-examination. know what? i don't buy it that he didn't perceive what went down. i don't buy it. i don't believe him. and i don't think miller does either. yeesh.

and, fwiw, i think this issue warrants its own thread, or at least headline treatment in a merged thread. it was the first thing that floated through my head as the play ended not with a bang, but a whimper -- holy sh!t, they don't give a rat's ass about miller, do they?. my wife happened to be watching (she's good about sports, can have an intelligent conversation, but does not follow them closely) -- and after that dust-up (such as it was) and the ensuing 15-20 minutes in real time, she said what i was thinking -- it was something to the effect of "so, do the other players on the team just not like miller anymore?"

Thank you for greeting me as a liberator on this. I was worried I'd be called a conspiracy theorist, Sabrehater.

I guess people see what they want to see.

Thank you for greeting me as a liberator on this. I was worried I'd be called a conspiracy theorist, Sabrehater.

i am not a tinfoil hat wearer, by any stretch.

and i certainly wouldn't trumpet the theory as factual in any way ... but it's a feeling i get about the situation; admittedly, from a distance, outside looking in, and all that. i dunno.

in the end, the pathetic reaction almost certainly has much more to do with the team's make-up than any lack of love among the skaters for #30.

Archived