Myers and Ruff?

deluca67

I've been off since '07. This year I decided to stop warning that the bus wasn't going to clear the overpass. Well....last night it crunkled up like a sardine can.

When Team Stormcloud informs you a category 4 hurricane is a comin'...and you don't evacuate....you shouldn't be surprised when you are left stuck on your rooftop waiting for the Pegulacopter.

Usually I can get your analogies but I have no idea what you are saying in this post.

I swear, I'm starting to think a small part of the reason this city can't win a championship is because of the attitude from the fan base. It's far too negative and must take a toll on the players after a while. It's one thing to be a realist and another to act like everyone needs to be traded and fired after a rough game.

The chicken or the egg, my friend, the chicken or the egg ...

NEWSFLASH! Questioning this teams toughness isn't jumping off the wagon.

Is this moron in THIS thread, too?

It's getting old, following people around and telling them they're bad fans for not liking the situation. It's one thing to have a differing point-of-view and join in the conversation, but if your "contribution" is to berate people in every one of your posts BECAUSE they have a different point-of-view, well, to me, that's a troll. And I like to see trolls banned.

Warrior, I respect your devotion, and I like your aspirations for what the NHL should be, but the NHL is what it is, and the people clamoring for retribution are largely BIG Sabs fans. There are one or two who like to complain just so they can be right when things go wrong, but by and large, I think the folks here are realistic. Respectfully, I don't think you are; as much as I wish you'd be right. The NHL won't become Olympic hockey, and some Sabre should have dished out some retribution.

Is this moron in THIS thread, too?

It's getting old, following people around and telling them they're bad fans for not liking the situation. It's one thing to have a differing point-of-view and join in the conversation, but if your "contribution" is to berate people in every one of your posts BECAUSE they have a different point-of-view, well, to me, that's a troll. And I like to see trolls banned.

Yes. Yes he is. :wallbash:

We've taken the liberty of booking a hotel for you in Boston. Here is your complementary Bruins jersey. We hope you enjoy your stay and we look forward to your absence from the Buffalo bandwagon.

Cordially yours,

a Sabres fan.

Shut your pie hole, Bible Boy. If I want to hear your opinion I'll pass wind.

seems as though the fans are as thin-skinned as the players. :death:

Saturday night wasn't the first time this "core" has been challenged and ultimately embarrassed.

It gets old for the fans after a while. Even though some can't grasp the notion of fans being displeased with the product on the ice, a product most fans spend hard earned money on, there does tend to be conversation about said "product".

If someone wants to call me a bad fan because I threw up in my mouth during Saturday's game and I've grown tired of the cowardness this team wreaks of, then so be it. But don't bash people who decide to discuss it with other rational fans who simply want a respectable team who has a slight chance at challenging for a Championship.

This wasn't really directed at you, 716, but I felt it better to go off your post...

that speech that LaDanian Tomlinson made before the Bills game the other day gave me a bit of the chill of recognition. he said that the jets shouldn't be afraid because the Bills play "pretty ball" ie they don't play smashmouth...

Sabres have always played Pretty Ball too, from Day 1, and that's why they keep getting put on the scrapheap of history. Myers is a perfect pretty ball player, as are many of the new pickups and current roster. When the chips are down, they don't fight back. I don't remember a smashmouth Sabres team except for maybe Nolan's teams, but that didn't last long. I think at this level, you have to play smashmouth or you're going to get your mouth smashed.

Someone should have beat Lucic within an inch of his life for what he did to Miller. Our biggest player didn't, and neither did anyone else.

I do. Schoenfeld & King Kong on defense along with Dudley, Gare, Fogolin and Spencer. No one messed with us then - although some (like Boston) tried to.

MacArthur and Paille are recent examples. Lydman had a career high of +32.

Are you going to say you are happy with Myers' development? That Lyndy has done a good job?

I'd say his development isn't a direct result of Ruff's coaching. I'm not sold that Myers has a 'Norris Trophy' level to take it to, or if he does is it going to work into the NHL.

I know the kid can skate but he's got a lot of catching up to do in the hockey sense dept. He's a late starter to this game. They figure out your tendencies pretty quick in the NHL. And it seems to me Ruff doesn't get Myers: he doesn't belong with Sekera and he doesn't belong on the pp. Plus I'm getting the idea that he just doesn't have the character and mean streak to take advantage of his size and make people fear him. At this point, he's definitely not a star and should be given ice depending on his performance, not because there's a sense of entitlement because of his overblown salary.

Hey, he's only 21, maybe in a few years he'll blossom. He sure has alot to work on.

I know the kid can skate but he's got a lot of catching up to do in the hockey sense dept. He's a late starter to this game. They figure out your tendencies pretty quick in the NHL. And it seems to me Ruff doesn't get Myers: he doesn't belong with Sekera and he doesn't belong on the pp. Plus I'm getting the idea that he just doesn't have the character and mean streak to take advantage of his size and make people fear him. At this point, he's definitely not a star and should be given ice depending on his performance, not because there's a sense of entitlement because of his overblown salary.

Hey, he's only 21, maybe in a few years he'll blossom. He sure has alot to work on.

Agreed, but he has also played much better hockey then this.........Its a matter of him getting some confidence back and playing the body more that will fix the bug guy........ :beer:

1)

Ruff teaches accountablity and rule adherence over emotion. No one is reckless. His players look like robots on most nights, playing in a system -- ala his and McLean's Panthers team that went far in the playoffs 10+ yrs ago.

While this is ultimately good over the long haul, and the recipe to make the playoff, the approach can temper emotions and short circuit the passion sometimes.

2)

As we know, the game has changed. Everyone on the ice, not just the Sabres, looked confussed and shocked at Lucic's actions. Even the refs. The era of such a play is OVER. Brendan Shannahan is making it clear that gooning is not part of the game (even tough he was one of the worst goons ever his first 5 years in the league -- see him with New Jersey). So it caught people off guard. Especially for someone to run the USA Olympic goalie -- with such little respect or consideration.

3)

If the Sabres want to go small and skilled, as the lineup suggests, they must capitalize on the PP. The tradeoff for not having big guys or the luxury to play them (Lucic, Charra, Thornton, Greg Campbell, Horton, Boychuk, McQuad) -- seven guys -- is that you score when these guys either can't catch you or are playing short handed. Most nights, this recipe, with two refs on the ice protecting, and the new Ameicanization of the rules in play, works (proof = the Sabres are in good shape in the staninds with this lineup). The fear is that this style will and does not translate/ work in the playoff - where these factors are ignored and not controlling. What controls in the playoff, and last nigth was like a playoff game, is emotion, a twitch play of passion and physical hatred. The team with more guys willing to pay the price (i.e., Sekara drops the gloves adn takes a chance getting his a$s kicked by Lucic after the "hit" like Mike Ramsey did 20 years ago when Probert nailed Barasso behind the net) the better chance you have to win.

4)

On Myers, he is fine. He plays hard and physical enough in his own end. He is not a prize fighter. And he came racing in after the hit and looked interesed in things. AS a 21 yr old -- he can only be counted on for so much.

5)

Importantly, the Sabres have only four capable fighters: Gaustad, Kaleta, Regehr and McCormick. None are top fighters - they are average at it. Gaustad and Kaleta wear visors. Weber should have player last night. And KAssian should play next Boston game as should Joe Finley (Amreks). His fire is compelling. No one can match Charra - but Lucic, Boychuk, Thornton and McQuad need to be dealt with, in order. These teams play 5 more times.

excellent post.

I'm seem to recall many conversations during Myers' rookie year about Lindy Ruff's ability to coach Myers to the next level. I have to say that Myers for the most part of the last 96 games has been disappointing. I just don't see his game maturing. Maybe the level he entered the NHL at has thrown off expectations.

I guess the question is, can Myers take that next step with Lindy Ruff coaching him?

I cannot honestly say I have not had that same thought. Myers's mistakes have been enormous the last few games... The kid is clearly in a funk.

Can you get me that list of players that turned out to be better without Ruff again?

Good point. Briere and MacArthur come to mind, but that is about it...

Myers is a 21 year old playing the hardest position in professional sports. He's going to look like a stud one night and a fool the next no matter who is coaching him.

I would say it is shift to shift that he is going from stud to fool and back again right now. Time for him to simplify, IMHO...

Good post.

With news of his sitting tonight maybe he is the one on the ice that Lindy expected the biggest reaction from. He certainly had the best size even if he doesn't have the mean streak.

I like the idea of playing Weber(e.g inserting some toughness) and I also like the idea of letting the kid finally sit although I think it should have been sooner given his obvious struggles over the last half dozen games.

When it's time for Tyler to come back I would like to keep Weber's toughness in the line up and one of the other finesse dmen to sit(i.e Reggie or Grags) especially if this is a shakeup to get these guy's to play with some more grit.

Archived