Myers and Ruff?

deluca67

I agree on all counts. I wonder if Lindy is in the hot seat with Pegula right now (rightfully so). While we do have a winning record, nothing has been pretty thus far. Especially yesterday. It's also not really like Lindy to lash out like that. I wouldn't be surprised if Pegula is putting some pressure on him to get things in order around here.

While Pegula may not be a sports leader, he definitely knows how to operate a multi-billion dollar business... I would imagine he has ways of holding people accountable.

I wouldn't say hot seat yet, myself. Unfortunetly, pegulas end of the bargain is with the wallet, that's done. They bought the groceries, now its time to cook. Yesterday was a pinnacle example for the first quarter of this season, and the fish out water goaltender coaching is getting even weirder yanking miller.

To date, nothing has change. Sabres cannot beat Philly or Boston, now Tampa. That's my bottom line, we should always beat Ottawa, Florida and the Jets.

To keep with the thread, i don't think we can critic Myers for his contract signing, if this team doesn't deliver, trades and dumps must obviously happen swiftly.

1)

Ruff teaches accountablity and rule adherence over emotion. No one is reckless. His players look like robots on most nights, playing in a system -- ala his and McLean's Panthers team that went far in the playoffs 10+ yrs ago.

While this is ultimately good over the long haul, and the recipe to make the playoff, the approach can temper emotions and short circuit the passion sometimes.

2)

As we know, the game has changed. Everyone on the ice, not just the Sabres, looked confussed and shocked at Lucic's actions. Even the refs. The era of such a play is OVER. Brendan Shannahan is making it clear that gooning is not part of the game (even tough he was one of the worst goons ever his first 5 years in the league -- see him with New Jersey). So it caught people off guard. Especially for someone to run the USA Olympic goalie -- with such little respect or consideration.

3)

If the Sabres want to go small and skilled, as the lineup suggests, they must capitalize on the PP. The tradeoff for not having big guys or the luxury to play them (Lucic, Charra, Thornton, Greg Campbell, Horton, Boychuk, McQuad) -- seven guys -- is that you score when these guys either can't catch you or are playing short handed. Most nights, this recipe, with two refs on the ice protecting, and the new Ameicanization of the rules in play, works (proof = the Sabres are in good shape in the staninds with this lineup). The fear is that this style will and does not translate/ work in the playoff - where these factors are ignored and not controlling. What controls in the playoff, and last nigth was like a playoff game, is emotion, a twitch play of passion and physical hatred. The team with more guys willing to pay the price (i.e., Sekara drops the gloves adn takes a chance getting his a$s kicked by Lucic after the "hit" like Mike Ramsey did 20 years ago when Probert nailed Barasso behind the net) the better chance you have to win.

4)

On Myers, he is fine. He plays hard and physical enough in his own end. He is not a prize fighter. And he came racing in after the hit and looked interesed in things. AS a 21 yr old -- he can only be counted on for so much.

5)

Importantly, the Sabres have only four capable fighters: Gaustad, Kaleta, Regehr and McCormick. None are top fighters - they are average at it. Gaustad and Kaleta wear visors. Weber should have player last night. And KAssian should play next Boston game as should Joe Finley (Amreks). His fire is compelling. No one can match Charra - but Lucic, Boychuk, Thornton and McQuad need to be dealt with, in order. These teams play 5 more times.

I agree on all counts. I wonder if Lindy is in the hot seat with Pegula right now (rightfully so). While we do have a winning record, nothing has been pretty thus far. Especially yesterday. It's also not really like Lindy to lash out like that. I wouldn't be surprised if Pegula is putting some pressure on him to get things in order around here.

While Pegula may not be a sports leader, he definitely knows how to operate a multi-billion dollar business... I would imagine he has ways of holding people accountable.

Do you remember when Pegula bought the team and they were in shambles with a majority of the masses calling for Lindy's head? Then Terry issued his edict, "Lindy ain't goin anywhere". As far as I'm concerned, Terry just said the job is Lindy's until he doesn't want it anymore.

Not to mention Pegula's bizarre meeting with the media telling them they should all be nicer to his players, coach and team because it's weally weally hard to pway good when peepoe quiticize you. :rolleyes:

Do you remember when Pegula bought the team and they were in shambles with a majority of the masses calling for Lindy's head? Then Terry issued his edict, "Lindy ain't goin anywhere". As far as I'm concerned, Terry just said the job is Lindy's until he doesn't want it anymore.

Not to mention Pegula's bizarre meeting with the media telling them they should all be nicer to his players, coach and team because it's weally weally hard to pway good when peepoe quiticize you. :rolleyes:

I do remember all of that. I'm just curious why Lindy is so on edge with a winning record unless somebody else is riding him. Maybe I am reading too much into it .... F*** the media :-P.

IMO It is not, size, physche,or skill set related with this kid. It is hockey sense and brain speed. It is vision and anticipation. And Lindy gives him 20 minute a game and uses him on the one pp unit.Thats' an indictment. I can live with his reach on the pk where he does an excellent job because it ia a half a sheet game. Will he progress? possibly/probably, but it will be difficult to watch. Will he be a top ten defensman? At this point I would think, probably not.It may be a lot less painful to package him in a deal for a top five/ten defenseman down the road.

"As we know, the game has changed. Everyone on the ice, not just the Sabres, looked confussed and shocked at Lucic's actions. Even the refs. The era of such a play is OVER. Brendan Shannahan is making it clear that gooning is not part of the game (even tough he was one of the worst goons ever his first 5 years in the league -- see him with New Jersey). So it caught people off guard. Especially for someone to run the USA Olympic goalie -- with such little respect or consideration. "

This would suggest Shanahan is going to review the play and take action against it.

Everything I have read today, doesn't suggest that it will be reviewed at all.

Bull.

The Sabres were cowards....if you are refering to the Ottawa game, that was a joke. Emery could have killed Biron, but showed mercy only to have Peters come and try and fight him.

Earlier in the year when Briere got nailed at the bench by Ovechkin, Ovechkin challenged Drury to settle it for Briere and Drury avoided him. It came down to Briere hiding behind Campbell then spearing Ovechkin in the groin next game. Ovechkin admitted he made a stupid dirty play and was willing to fight. This was the face of the league at the time and a 50 goal scorer.

I don't remember that part. I remember Ovechkin hiding from Gaustad in the ensuing scrum, when Mair beat someone up, but I don't recall Drury being involved or even on the ice. Wasn't Alex kicked out of the game?

Earlier in the year when Briere got nailed at the bench by Ovechkin, Ovechkin challenged Drury to settle it for Briere and Drury avoided him. It came down to Briere hiding behind Campbell then spearing Ovechkin in the groin next game. Ovechkin admitted he made a stupid dirty play and was willing to fight. This was the face of the league at the time and a 50 goal scorer.

Yeah, what a real hero Ovechkin picking to fight Drury, he should have manned up and fought Gaustad, they are about the same size........Sorry not buying your post man.

I'm seem to recall many conversations during Myers' rookie year about Lindy Ruff's ability to coach Myers to the next level. I have to say that Myers for the most part of the last 96 games has been disappointing. I just don't see his game maturing. Maybe the level he entered the NHL at has thrown off expectations.

I guess the question is, can Myers take that next step with Lindy Ruff coaching him?

Absolutely...if his next step is into hockey oblivion.

I don't remember that part. I remember Ovechkin hiding from Gaustad in the ensuing scrum, when Mair beat someone up, but I don't recall Drury being involved or even on the ice. Wasn't Alex kicked out of the game?

It was the next game, when Briere hid behind Campbell to spear him. Ovechkin told Briere he'd fight...then Drury came over and Ovechkin said he'd go with him if he wants.

Lots of forum talk and no articles, but here is Garth.

OV

Trust me, I started distancing myself from the team because of that. It was obvious the grit had been gutted. That year is when everyone jumped on my case for feeling they were soft.

Bull.

The Sabres were cowards....if you are refering to the Ottawa game, that was a joke. Emery could have killed Biron, but showed mercy only to have Peters come and try and fight him.

time for you to get off the bus at the next stop.

It was the next game, when Briere hid behind Campbell to spear him. Ovechkin told Briere he'd fight...then Drury came over and Ovechkin said he'd go with him if he wants.

OV

Trust me, I started distancing myself from the team because of that. It was obvious the grit had been gutted. That year is when everyone jumped on my case for feeling they were soft.

Maybe it's time you became a fan of a team who plays "tough" like the Bruins. And by "tough" I mean embracing the chance to play with no respect for other players. Crush players into the corner boards, run goalies, throw flying elbows, slash players behind their knees. I don't want to be a fan of a team that plays like chumps who steal other kids lunch money because they lack self confidence and want to sooth their ego.

Bucky Gleason and Jerry Sullivan are a complete joke. Pegula had every right to do that. The Buffalo sports "journalists" like many of the emotionally unstable fans, can't wait to personally attack players in the press.

Now I'd like to see him issue a statement challenging the fans who are "embarrassed to be Sabres fans" when the road gets bumpy.....

I swear, I'm starting to think a small part of the reason this city can't win a championship is because of the attitude from the fan base. It's far too negative and must take a toll on the players after a while. It's one thing to be a realist and another to act like everyone needs to be traded and fired after a rough game.

Maybe it's time you became a fan of a team who plays "tough" like the Bruins. And by "tough" I mean embracing the chance to play with no respect for other players. Crush players into the corner boards, run goalies, throw flying elbows, slash players behind their knees. I don't want to be a fan of a team that plays like chumps who steal other kids lunch money because they lack self confidence and want to sooth their ego.

The truth is on just about any shift there is an opportunity to seriously injure another player if one was so inclined. . Only respect for the game and respect for other players really keeps it sane.

The rules do to of course, but only if they have substance.

OV

Thanks for the link. I have to disagree about him asking Drury to fight. It sounded like he was telling Drury that he was willing to fight Briere to even things up, that no one has to spear him. Then again all that seems like tough talk from sitting on the bench after he hid from Gaustad after the original incident.

In any case, I agree that the team has gotten too soft. I'm not "Lindy Sucks and Must Be Fired NOW!!!" guy by any means but I am disturbed by his apparent desire to coach physical play and fighting out of his players and system, and that is surprising given his style of play in the NHL.

Thanks for the link. I have to disagree about him asking Drury to fight. It sounded like he was telling Drury that he was willing to fight Briere to even things up, that no one has to spear him. Then again all that seems like tough talk from sitting on the bench after he hid from Gaustad after the original incident.

In any case, I agree that the team has gotten too soft. I'm not "Lindy Sucks and Must Be Fired NOW!!!" guy by any means but I am disturbed by his apparent desire to coach physical play and fighting out of his players and system, and that is surprising given his style of play in the NHL.

If you search "Briere spearing incident", a thread will come up here and I made the same point as that is what Ovechkin said after the game, that he challenged Drury to go if he had a problem and wanted to. It was 4 years ago so I don't know where to find a tape.

Ovechkin knew he did wrong and admitted that they were even after the spear. He gave them a chance to man up if they wanted to.

No, I'm the type of guy who when I see someone steal lunch money from an innocent kid, I grab them by the collar and tell them to give it back....until they do.

The Sabres said, "Hey..um....would you..um....could you...um....please give Millsie his lunch money back?....Thank you."

time for you to get off the bus at the next stop.

I've been off since '07. This year I decided to stop warning that the bus wasn't going to clear the overpass. Well....last night it crunkled up like a sardine can.

When Team Stormcloud informs you a category 4 hurricane is a comin'...and you don't evacuate....you shouldn't be surprised when you are left stuck on your rooftop waiting for the Pegulacopter.

I've been off since '07. This year I decided to stop warning that the bus wasn't going to clear the overpass. Well....last night it crunkled up like a sardine can.

When Team Stormcloud informs you a category 4 hurricane is a comin'...and you don't evacuate....you shouldn't be surprised when you are left stuck on your rooftop waiting for the Pegulacopter.

What a joke..... go put on a Bruins jersey so you can feel tough.

If you search "Briere spearing incident", a thread will come up here and I made the same point as that is what Ovechkin said after the game, that he challenged Drury to go if he had a problem and wanted to. It was 4 years ago so I don't know where to find a tape.

Ovechkin knew he did wrong and admitted that they were even after the spear. He gave them a chance to man up if they wanted to.

I don't doubt that he said that. I doubt that he was challenging Drury to fight. According to the link you posted Dru came over to ask him what happened. I can see a very upset Ovechkin relaying his message to Drury in a very emotional way. Again, my guess is that he was saying basically that he would fight if he had to, just don't do stupid ###### like spearing. Man up and let's settle it.

In any case, it is what it is. I've agreed with your premise (Sabres soft). I just disagree (slightly) about the interpretation of that incident.

I don't doubt that he said that. I doubt that he was challenging Drury to fight. According to the link you posted Dru came over to ask him what happened. I can see a very upset Ovechkin relaying his message to Drury in a very emotional way. Again, my guess is that he was saying basically that he would fight if he had to, just don't do stupid ###### like spearing. Man up and let's settle it.

In any case, it is what it is. I've agreed with your premise (Sabres soft). I just disagree (slightly) about the interpretation of that incident.

Ok. I'm pretty sure watching the interviews after the game that Ovechkin offered. I can see reading that link where it doesn't look that way. But it is Eklund after all....

What a joke..... go put on a Bruins jersey so you can feel tough.

Here's what you need to understand. Sabres fans just can't go and change alligence. We're Sabres fans...and we're stuck.

I respect Putin much more than Obama as a world leader, but that doesn't mean I'm rooting for the Ruskies to nuke DC and pull a Red Dawn. I'm not moving to Russia. It is what it is.

Archived