OT: Re-habbing an ankle

frissonic

Okay, so about 3 weeks ago, I twisted my ankle super-awesome badly. it went softball size on me in a matter of minutes, and i couldn't walk on it for days. went to the doctor, who said to keep it elevated and iced, but not to baby it when i do walk on it. i did this for 3 days, to no avail. by "no avail," i mean it actually got worse. the swelling INcreased, and i ended up going back.

x-rays revealed no fracture. doc upped the pain meds to lortab and said "okay, you need to stay home until the 18th." same deal: elevated, iced, and not to baby it.

that was 3 weeks ago yesterday. it is *still* swollen, it gets inflamed with the mere thought of walking on it, and quite frankly, i'm beyond a little worried.

the doc said that the rehab clinic they recommend is booked, but that "drawing" the alphabet in the air with the injured foot can rehab it pretty well. problem is that it's obviously NOT helping cuz it's still unbearable at times to walk on it.

so i'm assuming that at least some of you have played sports before and have first-hand experience on rehabbing an ankle injury. any thoughts? suggestions?

I've got nothing specific to give re: ankle injuries. Generally though, recovering and maintaining flexibility is part of rehab, that's why your doc is recommending drawing the alphabet with your ankle. As far as rehab clinics go, there isn't a monopoly with them. Call another and get yourself in somewhere.

So wait, you didn't need to have it re-broken now? And they should be able to suggest more than one rehab place. Some will be better than others obviously, but an ankle should pretty much be the bread and butter for any place.

I've got nothing specific to give re: ankle injuries. Generally though, recovering and maintaining flexibility is part of rehab, that's why your doc is recommending drawing the alphabet with your ankle. As far as rehab clinics go, there isn't a monopoly with them. Call another and get yourself in somewhere.

Call a sports rehab place so you aren't in with a bunch of geriatrics, and flex the ankle in all planes several times a day.

If it's that bad 3 weeks later, I would be suspicious of an occult fracture.

2 x-rays have revealed no fracture. i've worked on flexing it and rotating it at my desk during the day, then a few times at night while we're watching whatever show.

as far as the clinic goes, weave, you're right--not a monopoly, but so far, i've called every clinic in my area. none of them but one takes my insurance, and they're booked through next week. i do have an appt with them for next monday, but meanwhile, all i have going on is the alphabet drawing, which doesn't seem to be helping any. still swollen, still sore as hell, still stiff.

so much for trying out for the amazing race.

I hyper-extended my ankle sideways while goaltending. While I was able to walk on it fine after a while, it still stiffens up and hurts like hell when going up or down stairs. Not sure what to do to get it better.

PTR

sorry ... didn't see this one. how long ago did this occur?

2 x-rays have revealed no fracture. i've worked on flexing it and rotating it at my desk during the day, then a few times at night while we're watching whatever show.

as far as the clinic goes, weave, you're right--not a monopoly, but so far, i've called every clinic in my area. none of them but one takes my insurance, and they're booked through next week. i do have an appt with them for next monday, but meanwhile, all i have going on is the alphabet drawing, which doesn't seem to be helping any. still swollen, still sore as hell, still stiff.

so much for trying out for the amazing race.

Xrays aren't definitive. There are a lot of bones with a lot of planes in the ankle. If the x ray isn't taken from the right perspective it won't reveal the fracture. Hairline fractures are difficult to visualize early on, at least until callus starts to form. Don't push it too hard - if you can't weight bear yet, then don't do it.

Xrays aren't definitive. There are a lot of bones with a lot of planes in the ankle. If the x ray isn't taken from the right perspective it won't reveal the fracture. Hairline fractures are difficult to visualize early on, at least until callus starts to form. Don't push it too hard - if you can't weight bear yet, then don't do it.

You are correct...Chris, maybe you should request an MRI. My daughter is a ballet dancer and stress fractures are common. At one point, my daughter had numerous x-rays and a cortisone shot (super no-no) by a shyster telling us she had tendonitis. We went to a sports medicine clinic next and they did an MRI right away and sure enough, there they were...several stress fractures.

An MRI can show stress/hairline fractures right away, whereas an x-ray won't show anything until the fracture calcifies, which can take weeks.

the doctors at the clinic i've been going to said that if there were a hairline fracture or anything that yah--the calcium would have to have time form on the fracture before it could be detected. they sent the x-rays off to the hospital for further analysis, but they didn't find anything either.

i dunno. i'm just tired of limping all over the place. also tired of having to use anti-inflammatory and narcotic meds to keep this at bay.

You are correct...Chris, maybe you should request an MRI. My daughter is a ballet dancer and stress fractures are common. At one point, my daughter had numerous x-rays and a cortisone shot (super no-no) by a shyster telling us she had tendonitis. We went to a sports medicine clinic next and they did an MRI right away and sure enough, there they were...several stress fractures.

An MRI can show stress/hairline fractures right away, whereas an x-ray won't show anything until the fracture calcifies, which can take weeks.

an excellent idea. thanks! i'm going to call the hospital and find out what it takes to get in.

I didn't see compression mentioned on here. It looks like you are practicing most of the "RICE" formula (Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation) except for the compression part. I'd recommend getting either or both a) a good brace or b) some shrink wrap and compression tape. While your doctor is right that you shouldn't baby an ankle injury, you still need to ensure that the ankle is supported if you do attempt to walk on it.

By the way, not sure how you're elevating it but sleeping with a couple of pillows under your ankle so that it is above your chest level (this is crucial) is usually a good way to go.

In addition to ice I have sometimes alternated with a heating pad as well to try different options. While ice usually reduces the swelling, a heating pad should help to soothe away pain if you do try the excercises mentioned. You can also freeze water in dixie cups, tear off the cup portion once frozen, and massage the area with the "cup cube" to switch up how you are icing your ankle.

These are some treatments that have helped me through the process. You really have to wait until the swelling has gone down before you start any sort of excercise program. As some have been saying although your x-ray is negative, with all the swelling you are describing it can be difficult to get the most accurate picture if the area is considerably swollen.

Hope some of these techniques work for you.

And MRI's are fun when they find something completely unexpected. That's what happened with my knee. Pain was on one side, tear was on the other. Even the docs were a bit confused by that one.

Not that I'm trying to scare you or anything Chris. :thumbsup:

If there's a problem somewhere, I'd imagine the MRI would probably find it. It has worked out well for me.

Regardless when you do get to the doc for an MRI, I would wrap it(best would be an air cast) and stay off of it as best as possible(crutches). Hair line fracture can take a few months to completely heal and you will likely have pain throughout the healing process.

Call a sports rehab place so you aren't in with a bunch of geriatrics, and flex the ankle in all planes several times a day.

If it's that bad 3 weeks later, I would be suspicious of an occult fracture.

ESPECIALLY if you are experiencing paranormal activity. If the ankle is glowing, for example, or if instead of the alphabet, you find yourself drawing strange runes.

I didn't see compression mentioned on here. It looks like you are practicing most of the "RICE" formula (Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation) except for the compression part. I'd recommend getting either or both a) a good brace or b) some shrink wrap and compression tape. While your doctor is right that you shouldn't baby an ankle injury, you still need to ensure that the ankle is supported if you do attempt to walk on it.

By the way, not sure how you're elevating it but sleeping with a couple of pillows under your ankle so that it is above your chest level (this is crucial) is usually a good way to go.

In addition to ice I have sometimes alternated with a heating pad as well to try different options. While ice usually reduces the swelling, a heating pad should help to soothe away pain if you do try the excercises mentioned. You can also freeze water in dixie cups, tear off the cup portion once frozen, and massage the area with the "cup cube" to switch up how you are icing your ankle.

These are some treatments that have helped me through the process. You really have to wait until the swelling has gone down before you start any sort of excercise program. As some have been saying although your x-ray is negative, with all the swelling you are describing it can be difficult to get the most accurate picture if the area is considerably swollen.

Hope some of these techniques work for you.

i had a compression bandage on a few different times. always had to take it off to bathe, and in the taking-it-off process, it got all mucked up so i couldn't reuse it. the one the doc gave me just needs to go through the wash. it's ... it's funky. like sinbad-funky.

thanks for the reminder though. i'll have to put one on this evening.

i had a compression bandage on a few different times. always had to take it off to bathe, and in the taking-it-off process, it got all mucked up so i couldn't reuse it. the one the doc gave me just needs to go through the wash. it's ... it's funky. like sinbad-funky.

thanks for the reminder though. i'll have to put one on this evening.

Glad to see your girlfriend is helping you.

I ... what?

No. I haven't. Does it work?

Probably not, but it would make a great story..

Sincerely, hope you take the advice and get an MRI. Persistent swelling sounds to me like something underlying is not healing right.

Probably not, but it would make a great story..

Sincerely, hope you take the advice and get an MRI. Persistent swelling sounds to me like something underlying is not healing right.

it's already in the works. apparently, the hospital takes appointments, but for MRIs and stuff they only take them on Thursdays. Not really wanting to wait that long. Having spoken with the emergency room admitting nurse on staff, they can do MRIs for walk-ins. $50 copay, but whatever. guess where i'm going tonight.

Archived