A question for the group

ReneRobert

Every year I notice something odd about the NHL schedule. It has often appeared to me that the Maple Leafs get favorable schedules to start the year. Usually, it appears they play more often than other teams, allowing them to pile up points. This year, I see that they have started the season with five consecutive home games. Leaving aside abstruse conspiracy theories, is it possible the NHL wants to do what it can to allow the Leafs to start quickly?

Every year I notice something odd about the NHL schedule. It has often appeared to me that the Maple Leafs get favorable schedules to start the year. Usually, it appears they play more often than other teams, allowing them to pile up points. This year, I see that they have started the season with five consecutive home games. Leaving aside abstruse conspiracy theories, is it possible the NHL wants to do what it can to allow the Leafs to start quickly?

Meh. Last year they started 4-0-1 the first five.

The next ten they went 1-7-2

I've never really noticed it before but this year did seem like a dream start having 5 straight home games against: Ottawa, Colorado, Calgary, Winnipeg and Montreal. I had heard that originally the Leafs were to start the season on a 7 game homestand but Wilson complained to the point were they changed the schedule to only start with 5 (that's why they had almost a week off after the first weekend games)

a) It obviously hasn't helped

b) I think if you go to their site you will find you have to go back to the 2007/08 season to see a similar start

c) I think most teams would rather start on the road

d) It wouldn't surprise me if the league consciously tries to start the season in hockey hotbeds. Most American cities don't get into the season till baseball and football are over.

the real test starts tonight. sort of. i mean, even though boston is 2-4, like someone mentioned earlier, toronto started off with a pretty semi-cushy schedule (colorado, even though 5-1, have had some really iffy games and got some lucky breaks. beating boston 1-0 is still a win, but beating columbus and montreal in shoot-outs isn't exactly bragging rights, and losing to toronto in SO ... come on.) so yah--toronto's schedule has been cushy. boston's hasn't been back-breaking, but still ... i dunno. i say boston beats up on TO tonight. or maybe that's wishful thinking.

a) It obviously hasn't helped

b) I think if you go to their site you will find you have to go back to the 2007/08 season to see a similar start

c) I think most teams would rather start on the road

d) It wouldn't surprise me if the league consciously tries to start the season in hockey hotbeds. Most American cities don't get into the season till baseball and football are over.

Come to think of it, the NHL must have been absolutely tickled when Boston didn't make the playoffs and the Yankees and Phillies lost in the first round. Three big hockey cities with nothing else to watch Monday through Saturday.

the real test starts tonight. sort of. i mean, even though boston is 2-4, like someone mentioned earlier, toronto started off with a pretty semi-cushy schedule (colorado, even though 5-1, have had some really iffy games and got some lucky breaks. beating boston 1-0 is still a win, but beating columbus and montreal in shoot-outs isn't exactly bragging rights, and losing to toronto in SO ... come on.) so yah--toronto's schedule has been cushy. boston's hasn't been back-breaking, but still ... i dunno. i say boston beats up on TO tonight. or maybe that's wishful thinking.

I dont think the start by the Avalanche is a fluke. They have gotten some excellent goaltending from Varly and J.S. - great goaltending helps tip the hat in close games...

Semyon Varlamov 2.17 GAA, .938 SV%

Jean-Sebastien Giguere 1.49 GAA, .933 SV%

For comparison:

Ryan Miller 2.01 GAA, .942 SV%

Jhonas Enroth 2.00 GAA, .935 SV%

My prediction is the TOR-BOS game goes into OT...

Boston tends to start the year on a big road trip because of the circus or some other scheduling conflict in the building. Maybe Toronto has something similar, but the conflict kicks in later in the season?

This...shared buildings leave little room for schedule shenanigans. Although Philips sits empty now (doh!)they had to schedule the Thrashers/Hawks/Concerts/Circus/Gospel Revivals/Disney Something or other on Ice/etc.....Not sure if the Leafs share their barn with anyone else. I know the Trash preferred more home games after Thanksgiving (get away from the SEC), but didn't have a lot of wiggle room.

I dont think the start by the Avalanche is a fluke. They have gotten some excellent goaltending from Varly and J.S. - great goaltending helps tip the hat in close games...

Semyon Varlamov 2.17 GAA, .938 SV%

Jean-Sebastien Giguere 1.49 GAA, .933 SV%

For comparison:

Ryan Miller 2.01 GAA, .942 SV%

Jhonas Enroth 2.00 GAA, .935 SV%

My prediction is the TOR-BOS game goes into OT...

that's a very good point. they ripped off washington in that score. i'd rather not see it go to OT; i'd rather have toronto win it out-right. like chz said, toronto is always their own worst enemy; they'll find a way to implode.

wonder if timmy's playing tonight ....

Leafs are going with their backup tender tonight so even more reason to think this.

Toronto does share its building (and the NHL couldn't have counted on the labor situation in the NBA), but I'm betting that unlike most American arenas, the NHL trumps the NBA. (Same is not true of most, if not all, of US shared facilities.) That said, maybe the NHL does it so the Leaves can get a few games out of the way before the Raptors start attempting to play basketball.

I would like to see the last few years' worth of starts, too, and in large part because the NBA is a much bigger concern in Boston, NY, Washington, Chicago, LA, etc. It's an interesting question that RR raised.

I just checked the schedule and the Leafs are playing 41 games at home and 41 games on the road this season. I doubt the NHL gives the Leafs any more consideration than any other team when it comes to scheduling. With all the needs of the individual teams involved it would be pretty much impossible to tailor a schedule for one team with the intent of trying to give any advantage.

I just checked the schedule and the Leafs are playing 41 games at home and 41 games on the road this season. I doubt the NHL gives the Leafs any more consideration than any other team when it comes to scheduling. With all the needs of the individual teams involved it would be pretty much impossible to tailor a schedule for one team with the intent of trying to give any advantage.

I'm most certainly not saying it is 100% true but Toronto has the largest NHL market and has not made the playoffs for what? Seven years? I'm sure the NHL wants them back, or atleast in the hunt beginning from the start of the year.

I'm most certainly not saying it is 100% true but Toronto has the largest NHL market and has not made the playoffs for what? Seven years? I'm sure the NHL wants them back, or atleast in the hunt beginning from the start of the year.

The Leafs are one of the League's premier brands. There is nothing the NHL can do to enhance that with scheduling. If the NHL wanted to try and give the Leafs an edge they wouldn't have them end the season against Montreal, Buffalo twice, Philly, Tampa and Carolina. That is as tough a last couple of weeks as you will find.

Absolutely... my nephew, who's father is a Leafs fan (they live not too far from Owen Sound), and use to tell me all sorts of things about the Leaf players eight years ago (he was 7 at the time) hardly follows them anymore at 15. It is just not good in any sport for a team to be bad that long. Heck, even for us, isn't it more fun when they are more competitive?

With that said, I don't think they purposely trying to help them with their schedule... Getting lots of Pittsburgh games in now, though, does help them later in the season, as they ought to be rested for the playoffs...

Archived