Experts make their Cup picks..

Hawk

Ej and Rosen pick Pens from the east. And San Jose and Chicago respectivly from the west. I like the Chicago pick, but I look at the pens and without SC, I dont see them getting out of the 2nd round. Caps and Rangers could very easily knock them down a few pegs. Sabres match up fairly well with these teams, But its time to find that #1 center. If it costs us now in prospects or picks for the next couple years, to win now,I'll take it. Roy is definatly not the answer.

Ej and Rosen pick Pens from the east. And San Jose and Chicago respectivly from the west. I like the Chicago pick, but I look at the pens and without SC, I dont see them getting out of the 2nd round. Caps and Rangers could very easily knock them down a few pegs. Sabres match up fairly well with these teams, But its time to find that #1 center. If it costs us now in prospects or picks for the next couple years, to win now,I'll take it. Roy is definatly not the answer.

If DR couldn't land a #1 center in the offseason, he certainly isn't going to be able to do it on the eve of the season. They just don't grow on trees, and the teams that do have a true #1 center aren't handing them over for picks, prospects or and a teams lesser players.

While Roy's play on the ice can be aggravating at times, he can put up 70+ points which isn't to shabby.

I was reading if the Sens aren't in the playoff mix by trade dead line they mit be looking to trade Jason Spezza i'll take him.

Problem is, Spezza appears like this beast of a center to Sabres fans, because he and Alfredsson always seem to bury us on the scoreboard.

Watching him play aginst other teams, namely the ones willing to knock him around, he comes across as a slightly more talented version of player type we already have more than enough of.

I'm not looking for a no. 1 center who drops the gloves, but this team doesn't need anymore perimeter players, who seem to loaf around when the game isn't going their way offensively.

At the very least, if Spezza comes here, Roy needs to be replaced with Shane Doan or his evil twin brother.

I know everyone talks about getting a nr. 1 center as the needed piece to the puzzle, but I STILL think the answer is in Parise.

As has been stated, nr. 1 centers aren't commonplace and everyone is holding on to what they have. I think Leino will be adequate, as will Roy. So we either have to wait until someone like Adam is ready (I really don't see him as a future nr. 1 center) or we build from the wings and get by with the centers we have.

Barring a major trade, I think that's the route we should pursue.

Barring a major trade, I think that's the route we should pursue.

well Parise would be a major trade, wouldn't you say?

At this point, I'd like to see this team and guys like Kassian and Foligno as prosin the AHL for a couple months before determiming if they need a big name from the outside. And who knows? Maybe Parise is cheaper at the deadline or hits the open market July 1. Signing him would require moving salary but it's possible. Anything is these days.

I think leino will do well, and personally i can see our defensive core racking up alot of points this season :D

One thing to remember is that all the improvements (2 players) the Sabres made have been on defense. That is going to be the driving force of any playoff run. This team is built defense first.

I mentioned in another thread that I like the idea of the Sabres moving a couple more pieces (Boyes & Leopold) to free up some cap space and gain some flexibility. Part of the reason is that I fully expect the Sabres to be shopping for a true center come trade deadline.

One thing to remember is that all the improvements (2 players) the Sabres made have been on defense. That is going to be the driving force of any playoff run. This team is built defense first.

I mentioned in another thread that I like the idea of the Sabres moving a couple more pieces (Boyes & Leopold) to free up some cap space and gain some flexibility. Part of the reason is that I fully expect the Sabres to be shopping for a true center come trade deadline.

I want Leo here under any realistic circumstances and I also want to see Boyes get some time at his natural position before I write him off. Your comment in the other thread was motivated in part by the idea of getting the young defensemen in Rochester some playing time in the NHL; I'm not concerned at all with that right now. I'm concerned with watching this team hoist a Cup this year or next. And the kids will get time when there are the inevitable injuries, anyway.

As for "all the improvements," I don't see it that way at all. Ehrhoff may be a defenseman, but he's an offensive player; that doesn't mean the team was built "defense first." And it's way to early to say that Leino isn't an improvement over Connolly. Obviously, the team things it's an improvement; otherwise, it would have brought back TC and not shopped for Leino.

Why don't we wait and see how the season unfolds.

I am not certain, but it seems to me that those dastardly Bruins did not have a propo-typical "#1 center" last year.

Also ...

What do these so called "experts" know.

If Roy is not the answer, maybe you can first tell us what the question is.

I want Leo here under any realistic circumstances and I also want to see Boyes get some time at his natural position before I write him off. Your comment in the other thread was motivated in part by the idea of getting the young defensemen in Rochester some playing time in the NHL; I'm not concerned at all with that right now. I'm concerned with watching this team hoist a Cup this year or next. And the kids will get time when there are the inevitable injuries, anyway.

As for "all the improvements," I don't see it that way at all. Ehrhoff may be a defenseman, but he's an offensive player; that doesn't mean the team was built "defense first." And it's way to early to say that Leino isn't an improvement over Connolly. Obviously, the team things it's an improvement; otherwise, it would have brought back TC and not shopped for Leino.

I don't see Leopold as a difference maker that puts the Sabres over the top on a Cup run. IMO, the interest of the Sabres, now and the future, is best served by giving their young blue-liners a chance. Myers, Regehr, Ehrhoff and Sekera can eat up a ton of ice time. $3 mil in cap space is more valuable to the Sabres than Leopold is.

There is very little known about Leino at this point. Connolly, with all his faults, was at least a center. The Sabres are paying Leino as center. He may well turn out to be a decent role player, third line player with some PK & PP time. It's just not what the Sabres paid for.

I don't see Leopold as a difference maker that puts the Sabres over the top on a Cup run. IMO, the interest of the Sabres, now and the future, is best served by giving their young blue-liners a chance. Myers, Regehr, Ehrhoff and Sekera can eat up a ton of ice time. $3 mil in cap space is more valuable to the Sabres than Leopold is.

There is very little known about Leino at this point. Connolly, with all his faults, was at least a center. The Sabres are paying Leino as center. He may well turn out to be a decent role player, third line player with some PK & PP time. It's just not what the Sabres paid for.

I'd much rather have Leo than Sekera. Not that I hate Sekera, but I'd rather have Leo. And the difference in cap hit is negligible. $2.75M in cap space is more valuable than Sekera is...

Leopold is never really going to hurt you. I like Leopold a lot better with Regher on the roster now that a little more crease presence is in the mix.

The only real question in my mind is whether or not Leino can win faceoffs.

He was pretty much centering for Briere's lines in Philly. He just wasn't taking the draws.

after reading this thread again the real question is why can Parise play center but Leino can't? We aren't trading for Parise because we can't afford him and already have a #1 and #2 lw. Just like we aren't trading for Shea Weber because we have Myers, Regehr, Ehrhoff etc...

I think leino will do well, and personally i can see our defensive core racking up alot of points this season :D

"We've just got to get the puck to Ehrhoff, it seems," Ennis said. "He's got a cannon."

I think I might agree with you :D . Although I see a good year for MAG, Myers and Sekera as well.

It's the pre season still right? The lines have had a handful of games that does not a body of work make. I think we will have balanced scoring like we usually do with slightly more from a few guys including Stafford, Vanek, Leino, myers and ehrhoff. Also I like pomer for 30+ this yr

Archived