Leino and Roy at the Bills game today

beerme1

Didn't the Sabres have practice until 130PM yesterday? I wonder how Leino and Roy made it to the game? :rolleyes:

Well I saw them in the second quarter and dont know if they just arrived or not but what are you implying? That I am lying?

I ask because I'm genuinely curious. HOW did they ruin it? Seems like an awfully petty thing to let ruin your entire childhood ... yet who am I to judge? So I ask with real intent: how did they ruin your childhood?

My first recallable memory of the Bills is their Super Bowl loss to the Redskins, when I was almost 5. My Sundays as a Scout selling popcorn are haunted by the sounds of Van Miller counting off their defeats to teams like Indy (which for some reason sticks strongly in my mind.) My formative years were built around contempt for the Bills losing tradition. I have few good memories of this team (except for a taped recording of the comeback game and a pennant signed by Doug Flutie).

So did they ruin my childhood? No. But they certainly ruined any chance of making me a die hard fan.

I'll still watch them though. I don't really have a choice. I want them to win. I just can't say I believe in them like some people seem to do.

Hey, you never know.

Obviously, the chips are stacked against the Bills. Still, anyone can win. We blew out the Pats in an opener a handful of years ago.

This team is showing a lot of heart, confidence, and very little quit. Things didn't look good yesterday when they were down 21-3, but they didn't seem rattled or fazed. Then again at the end when the Raiders took the lead, they came right back out looking confident that they would still win.

In previous years, Edwards/Loss-man/Johnson would have wilted.

You must have funny looking hands. That win was in 2003 if I remember correctly.

Didn't the Sabres have practice until 130PM yesterday? I wonder how Leino and Roy made it to the game? :rolleyes:

I believe the Sabres were practicing in three groups and Leino and Roy were in the first group that started practice at 8am yesterday. They did a 90 minute skate, so they end the skate at around 9:30am. I believe they did another hour work of video, so they probably leave Amherst around 11:30 for a 1:00 kickoff. Is that infeasible from a schedule perspective? They have 60 players at camp and there is no way they can all practice at the same time, hence they are broken up into groups as per the Buffalo News blog.

I don't care that much either way since I was neither at the game nor concerned about defending the original poster. Just trying to rationalize the practice schedule.

My first recallable memory of the Bills is their Super Bowl loss to the Redskins, when I was almost 5. My Sundays as a Scout selling popcorn are haunted by the sounds of Van Miller counting off their defeats to teams like Indy (which for some reason sticks strongly in my mind.) My formative years were built around contempt for the Bills losing tradition. I have few good memories of this team (except for a taped recording of the comeback game and a pennant signed by Doug Flutie).

So did they ruin my childhood? No. But they certainly ruined any chance of making me a die hard fan.

I'll still watch them though. I don't really have a choice. I want them to win. I just can't say I believe in them like some people seem to do.

okay, to that end, i can understand. see, i had the fortunate privilege of hitting the WNY scene in 1987. we moved from northern ohio, where of course the team of choice were the browns. but moving to buffalo ... poop-all. the VERY first thing i noticed was how freakin' rabid everyone was about the bills and sabres. in akron, yah ... there were fans, but buffalo was totally different. it's like the 3 major religions were the bills, catholicism and judaism.

the first play i remember with any clarity was an end-of-season game where the bills were tied with the jets, who could have won it in regulation with a field goal, but fred smerlas blocked the attempt, and the game went to overtime. norwood kicked the winning field goal, and the bills clinched the division. i was at work at the tops market on transit and maple, where all of us cart pushers were hiding under the bottle counter with a little radio. we went ape-sh## ballistic when smerlas blocked the field goal. we went in the back and had "bottle wars" (don't ask ...) after the bills won it. THAT was my induction into bills fandom. been a fan ever since.

so yah, looks like we come from opposite ends of the winning spectrum. i came in right in their late 80s/early 90s prime. you kind of missed out on the ride to those super bowl runs. ever since then, with the exception of the 99/2000 campaign when they lost to tennessee, we've all been waiting for their return. this very well could be the return to greatness. i'm not at all counting my eggs yet. they beat kansas city, which i'm pretty sure any JV team could do right now, and oakland--not exactly an AFC east destroyer. if they keep it close against new england, or heaven forbid they actually win, i will be more inclined to dub them "the return of the king" team. until they beat a bona fide powerhouse team, no. but for now, 2-0 is a great way to start the season!

I'm not a great fan. Never claimed to be. The Bills ruined my childhood so I root for them with resignation. I like to see them do good, and the end of last season and the start of this one has been fun. But does anyone expect the Patriots to make the same mistakes KC and the Raiders did? The Bills are playing good football, but they're coming into next weekend against a team that will undoubtedly play better football.

Do I want the Bills to win next week? Hell yes I do. But I'm a realist enough to know that if it's nice out on Sunday, I'll spend my day doing something else, because it's much more likely that this game will not be pretty. I've wasted enough Sundays in the last decade to know that.

Sorry my rose colored glasses aren't on for the Bills yet.

Dude, there is a big wide space between rose colored glasses and S#$% colored glasses. Moderation, my friend.

Do I want the Bills to win next week? Hell yes I do. But I'm a realist enough to know that if it's nice out on Sunday, I'll spend my day doing something else, because it's much more likely that this game will not be pretty. I've wasted enough Sundays in the last decade to know that.

Sorry my rose colored glasses aren't on for the Bills yet.

Not really. It's all perspective. A number of the smarter posters here have figured out where I'm speaking from.

I am obviously not one of the smarter posters because I don't have a clue what that means. That the "smart" fans find better things to do and don't watch when they know the team will probably lose? Seriously, I am totally guessing. You seem to be going out of your way to condescend to die-hard Bills fans, as if you are on some higher level because you basically became a fair-weather fan after your horrible childhood (you know, the one that saw the team make the playoffs 10 times before you were 12 years old by my math). You are talking "perspective" yet you seem to take it very personally when the team gets blown out by a much better team, so much so you choose not to watch.

Listen, I know they still suck. I know they are going to be very lucky to win 7 games. This isn't about the team ... I just don't get the condescending vibe I am getting off your posts about the Bills.

I am obviously not one of the smarter posters because I don't have a clue what that means. That the "smart" fans find better things to do and don't watch when they know the team will probably lose? Seriously, I am totally guessing. You seem to be going out of your way to condescend to die-hard Bills fans, as if you are on some higher level because you basically became a fair-weather fan after your horrible childhood (you know, the one that saw the team make the playoffs 10 times before you were 12 years old by my math). You are talking "perspective" yet you seem to take it very personally when the team gets blown out by a much better team, so much so you choose not to watch.

Listen, I know they still suck. I know they are going to be very lucky to win 7 games. This isn't about the team ... I just don't get the condescending vibe I am getting off your posts about the Bills.

After the last 11 years, I completely understand when anything remotely negative is said about this team. They've earned it.

Archived