The Other Tyler...

SpikeGelato

He has less cache than Myers, being a winger and small. I think they'll wait to see where his game goes this season before making a contract offer.

If he's too good to let go, he'll get a Pegula contract. If he "still has potential" by the deadline, my guess is he gets packaged for, most likely, a center.

He'll be an RFA at the end of the season, he's not going anywhere. He'll get a qualifying offer that he'll either sign or they'll work out an extension. Shouldnt be to much of a cap worry as contracts such as Boyes and Hecht come off the cap next season and can hopefully be replaced with players like Adam or Kassian who are on entry level deals.

I am highly confident that Ennis will be on this team for a while, and that DR will, without any holdouts or other drama, sign him to a contract that represents a good deal from the Sabres' perspective. He won't be getting a Myers-type deal, but he can still get himself a nice contract with a strong season.

Agreed. What about for a major piece, though?

Yes, but to give up Ennis it would need to be a really major piece who was under contract for at least 2 more years. Also, this seems like more of an offseason move than a deadline trade -- i.e. if the Sabres are having a good season, it's kinda hard to see them making a big, disruptive move like that 20 games before the playoffs start. Certainly not impossible though.

Yes, but to give up Ennis it would need to be a really major piece who was under contract for at least 2 more years. Also, this seems like more of an offseason move than a deadline trade -- i.e. if the Sabres are having a good season, it's kinda hard to see them making a big, disruptive move like that 20 games before the playoffs start. Certainly not impossible though.

I agree with that. But we are on a 3 year mission - I think Darcy and Lindy still view themselves as a couple pieces away form fielding a potential championship team. I think they make the move if it's there to be made, without regard for how it will effect chemistry. But if they are in the running for the President's cup and hitting on all cylinders my opinion might change.

I still don't think this team is built for the post season yet. They are missing a couple pieces.

He'll be an RFA at the end of the season, he's not going anywhere. He'll get a qualifying offer that he'll either sign or they'll work out an extension. Shouldnt be to much of a cap worry as contracts such as Boyes and Hecht come off the cap next season and can hopefully be replaced with players like Adam or Kassian who are on entry level deals.

This is correct. The potential for this kid is very high and whether or not he takes the next step this season, I think they'll keep him around. He's technically going into his third season (although 10 games in his first year can hardly be considered a "season"). Players typically make the big jump in their fourth year. Occasionally the third and sometimes the fifth. But the majority do it in their fourth, so I think they will hold on to him for a while.

I don't think I see what you all see. And I really hope I'm wrong. But I see a kid with a good rook year who talks, acts, and seems like a slacker, and again, I hope I'm wrong. I see another Connolly/Stafford (Stafford is not out of my doghouse yet) here and not another Briere. (Yes, I know it's a different position; the comparisons were made regardless.)

Hope I'm wrong, hope I'm wrong, hope I'm wrong.

I don't think I see what you all see. And I really hope I'm wrong. But I see a kid with a good rook year who talks, acts, and seems like a slacker, and again, I hope I'm wrong. I see another Connolly/Stafford (Stafford is not out of my doghouse yet) here and not another Briere. (Yes, I know it's a different position; the comparisons were made regardless.)

Hope I'm wrong, hope I'm wrong, hope I'm wrong.

I guess I see something in between, closer to Briere than Connolly though. I see Donald Audette performance without the short man syndrome nastiness that Audette played with. IMO he's got 20-30 goals and 20-30 assists for a good part of his career written all over him. Solid, solid #2 LW. I really don't see him becoming an 80+pt guy like some here are predicting. Briere has had a couple eye popping years. I would be genuinely suprised if Ennis pulls that off. Otherwise, I could see Ennis getting numbers approaching Briere's numbers (50-60pts).

I guess I see something in between, closer to Briere than Connolly though. I see Donald Audette performance without the short man syndrome nastiness that Audette played with. IMO he's got 20-30 goals and 20-30 assists for a good part of his career written all over him. Solid, solid #2 LW. I really don't see him becoming an 80+pt guy like some here are predicting. Briere has had a couple eye popping years. I would be genuinely suprised if Ennis pulls that off. Otherwise, I could see Ennis getting numbers approaching Briere's numbers (50-60pts).

I would be fine with that from Ennis. That's probably where he's headed IF he doesn't screw up upstairs. And granted, it's just a few interviews that I've seen, but he comes off as kind of arrogant. And again, hope I'm wrong. I would be VERY happy to be wrong here.

I would put Ennis in the Ray Whitney type of category. Although I think Whitney hit 80 pts. once...that was the high water mark. 50-60 pts. 20 goal guy is possible. Ennis is probably a better stick handler than Whitney.

Of course Ray Whitney's numbers would be a great career.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=5710

Archived