[OT] *Other* alcoholic beverages

Weave

This is what happens when you ride the wave while buzzed.

Imma talk about margaritas here but lets open it up to mixed drinks in general. Include your favorite recipes. I'm sure I'll latch onto the subject of mojitos at some time too. :blush:

Pay attention chez. Or better yet, school us.

When it comes to margaritas I've always been a good reposado, cointreau, lime juice, and agave nectar guy. But our trip to New Orleans was an awakening. We spent many an hour over many a day at a little Mexican bar near the river in the French Quarter. And their margaritas were fantastic. OK, maybe it was the setting. Anyway, here's what they did.

3 oz El Jimador tequila (fairly inexpensive all agave tequila)

1.5 oz Abslolut Mandarin

juice of 2 key limes (fresh sqeezed)

1 Tbls agave nectar

Shaken and served on the rocks in a salted rim glass

So, here I am at home on the deck on a glorious afternoon wishing I was back on vacation. So I jumped in the car and hit the liquor store to see if I could replicate that delicious concoction or maybe it really was so tasty because I was on vacation. Couldn't find key limes so I subbed Persian limes. They are bigger so I used one per drink.

The result? Yeah, this is my new go to. Absolut Mandarin just plain works. I don't know why I never thought to use orange vodka instead of triple sec or Cointreau or Grand Marnier. And I'm not missing the more expensive tequila with this combo. I can only imagine how good it'll be with Cabo.

*makes another drink*

:beer:

Having a "Drunk Watermelon" is always good at a party.

Take a large watermelon, cut a small hole in the top, and stick a bottle of vodka through the top. Let the watermelon soak in the vodka, when done, cut the top off.

Can be served as slices, or scooped out to make drinks.

This is what happens when you ride the wave while buzzed.

Imma talk about margaritas here but lets open it up to mixed drinks in general. Include your favorite recipes. I'm sure I'll latch onto the subject of mojitos at some time too. :blush:

Well, since you mentioned it, I'll go with my favorite mojito recipe. :)

1/2 lime, cut into 3-4 wedges

about 12 good-sized spearmint leaves (more if the leaves are small)

1-2 Tbsp sugar (or simple syrup if you have it)

2 oz Bacardi white rum

club soda

Add the first three ingredients to the bottom of an empty pint glass and muddle to juice the lime and dissolve the sugar. Fill glass with ice, then add rum, fill with club soda, and stir with a long-handled spoon to mix the muddled ingredients throughout. Regular Bacardi is good for starters, but my favorite is the Peach Red flavor (and Bacardi Razz is also quite good). Awesome on a hot day.

I've never really gotten into margaritas... not a tequila fan, and I've grown to dislike the sticky sweet taste of sours mix. Also not a fan of Absolut. Stoli Ohranj is my go-to citrus vodka; a little pricier, but a whole lot smoother IMO. Probably less noticable in a margarita than a cosmopolitan or vodka and cranberry, though. To each their own!

Hey Bio, assuming you make your simple syrup ahead of time, you can ramp up the mint flavor a good bit by making the syrup the night before, bruising the mint leaves, and leaving the mint in the simle syrup overnight to steep.

That Absolut Mandarin was the first flavored booze I've ever bought. And I buy less than a bottle of vodka every year cuz I'm not really a fan. But it works well in a Margarita. I'm sure alot of you folks know better the good vodka from the so-so vodka, but I'm relatively clueless cuz I drink so little of it.

This is my mojito recipe;

2 shots white rum (I use Bacardi as well)

juice of one lime

1 or 2 Tbls of mint infused simple syrup

6 or so torn up mint leaves (I grow peppermint so that's what I use)

Shake vigorously and pour into a tumbler full of ice

top up with club soda (one of those 0 calorie carbonated lime waters works great here too)

And I agree, they are about the most refreshing alcoholic beverage you can drink on a hot day.

Hey Bio, assuming you make your simple syrup ahead of time, you can ramp up the mint flavor a good bit by making the syrup the night before, bruising the mint leaves, and leaving the mint in the simle syrup overnight to steep.

Weave, I'm lovin' you in the food and drink threads, but no, no, no, no and no.

Make it the way it's supposed to be made, and it never goes wrong. Like barbecue. No flavor needs to be "ramped up," they live harmoniously in a well-built cocktail.

Make it the way it's supposed to be made, and it never goes wrong. Like barbecue. No flavor needs to be "ramped up," they live harmoniously in a well-built cocktail.

I really enjoy a traditionally made mojito but I don't have a muddler and using the end of wooden spoon doesn't always get enough oils into the drink and I don't get the mint flavor. Using infused simple syrup is just another way to get mint flavor into the drink.

It's kind of like building a Stanley Cup team around a goaltender instead of building it around 2 elite centers. ;)

Some of my favorites are:

Bailey's Irish Creme on the rocks along with (or in lieu of ) dessert. (The original flavor - the other flavors are OK, but why mess with the original?) As an aside, around the holidays Haagen-Daaz makes a Bailey's Ice cream that tastes just about like the liqueur, as it is made with the stuff. Outstanding.

While Applebee's isn't my first choice of places to eat, they make a "Perfect Margarita". I found the recipe and have made it at home (with better tequila) but the Applebee's version still hits the spot. Reposado tequila, Cointreau, Grand Marnier, lime juice, simple syrup and sweet & sour mix.

I've tried mojitos in many locations, tried to make them myself but the best one yet is.... at the patio bar of the Westin Resort in Key West, IF Jimmy is the bartender (he works late morning/early afternoon at the patio bar, and later on in one of the drink carts out on the walkway.) His recipe isn't really any different from the others offered in other posts except he uses a handful of mint leaves instead of just a few, the juice of at least two, or even three limes and a very heavy hand on the Bacardi rum. In fact, after he mixes one up, it usually won't all fit into the glass. You often get an additional plastic cup with another 6 ounces of luscious mojito. Jimmy (sorry, no last name on the name tag) is well known on the island and the bar is often frequented by locals when he is working. Once you've tried one of his mojitos, all others seem pale by comparison.

Standard beverage - in the summer, Captain Morgan Tattoo and Sprite. In the winter, sweet Southern Comfort Manhattan on the rocks.

Dang, now I'm thirsty and it's only 10:30 on a Monday morning.....:o

I'm gonna have to agree with Eleven here... you can certainly do mint simple syrup, but I wouldn't unless you're only making enough for that day because it will start growing things quickly. (Simple syrup at the store is hideously expensive for one reason: ascorbic acid.) You'll notice my recipe uses twice as many mint leaves, so I don't feel the minty flavor is lacking. (c:

My favorite: White Russian

In a Double Old-Fashioned, mix:

•  
  • 2 shots Coffee Liqueur (I use bootleg Kahlua, but some brands are better than others, such as Kamora (best cheap brand!))
  • 1 1/3 shots Vodka (I just use Smirnoff's, or Fris)
  • 3 ice cubes
  • Top the rest off with milk (I use skim).

Stir, enjoy! Could drink these all day...

Second favorite: Margarita

•  
  • 3 shots 1800 Silver (HAS to be 1800! Tastyquila we call it.... mmmmm.....)
  • 2 shots Triple Sec (DeKuyper's cheap stuff is fine)
  • 2 shots Nellie and Joe's Famous Lime Juice (This stuff is GOOD and makes a huge difference!)

Fantastic for the summer. Tequila works FAST, too. :thumbsup:

It's been the Summer of the Ice Pick for me - iced tea and vodka. Been drinking these quite a bit lately.

I enjoy an occasional Strip and go Naked - Beer, Vodka, Lime juice.

Other of my favorites are just some homegrown concoctions that are probably pretty gross to others but I like them.

Muddy River - Orange juice, Apple Cider, and Vodka (it resembles the color of the river I lived on when I created it.)

Jim's Mead - TBSP local honey (has to be local), shot of whiskey, beer (great for alleviating seasonal allergies)

Of course, Martinis and Manhattans are staples the rest of the year.

....because it will start growing things quickly....

Hmmm... fermented mint syrup. There might be some interesting possiblities here.

Don't forget Bio, I'm a practical microbiologist as a hobby. Yeasts are my friend.

I did forget one drink recipe - it came from one of the gynecologists here on campus who fancies himself an amateur bartender:

One part Pabst Blue Ribbon beer

One part Smirnoff vodka

It's called (oh boy, here we go)...

...wait for it....

a Pabst Smir.

I'll be here all week - tip your servers.

Try a Rusty Nail sometime - definitely a winter drink, end of the night kind of thing.

Equal parts scotch and Drambuie. Takes a couple to get used to the taste, but they grow on you.

And if you are in the Keys, you have to go to the open air bar near the top of Duval street right next to the tree that Hemingway pissed on one time. There is a bartender there from Binghamton - he makes the most amazing rum runners. A pitcher of them is like $40.00, but he fills the straws with and gives you a floater of 151, so it is all worthwhile.

Hmmm... fermented mint syrup. There might be some interesting possiblities here.

Don't forget Bio, I'm a practical microbiologist as a hobby. Yeasts are my friend.

:lol: Well I've definitely had simple syrup end up with mold if I didn't use it fast enough, so if that's what you're going for, a bottle of sugar water will be a happy environment for many microbes!

Try a Rusty Nail sometime - definitely a winter drink, end of the night kind of thing.

Equal parts scotch and Drambuie. Takes a couple to get used to the taste, but they grow on you.

Damn, you beat me to it.

Gin and tonic (Fevertree or Q tonic, bombay saphire or tangueray), or a dark non-spiced rum on ice. Gosling Black Seal is pretty good.

And if you are in the Keys, you have to go to the open air bar near the top of Duval street right next to the tree that Hemingway pissed on one time. There is a bartender there from Binghamton - he makes the most amazing rum runners. A pitcher of them is like $40.00, but he fills the straws with and gives you a floater of 151, so it is all worthwhile.

Wish I would have known about this sooner.

I was just down there on vacay a few months ago.

And if you are in the Keys, you have to go to the open air bar near the top of Duval street right next to the tree that Hemingway pissed on one time.

Easily the most rustic sentence ever posted here.

And now I want to go to that bar.

Archived